Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 05:13 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't think at first they realize they are doing it. As soon as I noticed my husband was doing it, I called him on it. He stopped it immediately.

I get it, it is denial. I see my own hair thinning at my crown, it saddens me. Actually scares me!
I know, right. I keep telling my husband to get it cut short on top. He wants something to comb, so he keeps coming home from a haircut with three like hairs on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,961 times
Hold it .....with all the ugly stupid fashion women wear your dissing a guy about his comb-over? REALLY? Because those Big Shoulders Pads really make your GIGANTIC butt look small really? or all that.... big hair makes your butt look only huge??
Because a 250 lb OR MORE woman in high heels looking like weebles that wobble butt don't fall down looks good? or shoes so pointed the tips of the toes are OBVIOUSLY 3 to 4 inches beyond your toes? Ladies you have ZERO Room to talk..

Old 11-20-2015, 09:31 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Oh---I think we hit a nerve!

Old 11-20-2015, 11:46 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,376 times
Comb-overs are the ugliest "hair style" a guy can have - any guy that does this is making the whole male gender look bad. It doesn't protect the top of your head from the sun (even though you think it might), you're not fooling anyone into thinking you're not bald, and, you're actually drawing more attention to your baldness rather than drawing attention away from it. Essentially, those guys who do this look like idiots.

I'm in my 40's and have been bald for years (heredity), and keep my remaining hair completely shaved off - I shave around every other day. It's a great look for me & is obviously a lot better look than a comb-over. Also, some women dig this - which is enough reason to do it In fact, in some cases women that are half my age hit on me....I'm sure the shaved head has something to do with this.

When I first started shaving my head years ago, I told a relative that I was doing this, and he said that bald guys that shave their heads are vain. However, he had (and still has) a comb-over - so, a comb-over isn't vain?! At least bald guys with shaved heads aren't trying to conceal their lack of hair, which is what guys with comb-overs are trying to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Hold it .....with all the ugly stupid fashion women wear your dissing a guy about his comb-over? REALLY? Because those Big Shoulders Pads really make your GIGANTIC butt look small really? or all that.... big hair makes your butt look only huge??
Because a 250 lb OR MORE woman in high heels looking like weebles that wobble butt don't fall down looks good? or shoes so pointed the tips of the toes are OBVIOUSLY 3 to 4 inches beyond your toes? Ladies you have ZERO Room to talk..
Well, I love women with big, gigantic butts....but that's me

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 11-21-2015 at 12:12 AM..

Old 11-21-2015, 01:59 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Those in the link are extreme, but my FIL was one if those who didn't realize he had one.

A couple years ago at Thanksgiving we were all sitting around the table talking and someone brought up combovers. No idea why. We weren't even talking about him ... UNTIL ... He said, "Well, you guys have to promise to tell me if I ever get like that."

We all paused and looked at each other, then burst out laughing. His oldest son said, "Um dad, you ARE like that!" He couldn't believe it. He kept insisting that he was just parting his hair the same way he always did. Of course, with his hair thinning on top, it was ... A combover.

By Christmas, the combover was gone.
I'd say a lot of men with hair loss are in that camp. I bet that was the first time your FIL received feedback from other people about his baldness. Afterward, he knew what to do.

We aren't X-Men with psychic powers. Speak up people!

Old 11-21-2015, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I'd say a lot of men with hair loss are in that camp. I bet that was the first time your FIL received feedback from other people about his baldness. Afterward, he knew what to do.

We aren't X-Men with psychic powers. Speak up people!
I don't buy that. Nobody likes to have their Appearance criticized. We risk really hurting somebody's feelings and an alienation. Losing your hair can be pretty traumatic for folks, male and female alike even if it is gradual. Every adult man knows about combovers and how the public regards them and supposedly they have eyes and can see what is happening in the mirror.

My husband has lots of hair all around his head but the top is bald. He used to worry with long wispy hair on the top. Not a comb over but he figured he had to take care of what was left. But it was a PITA to worry about with wind, hats,hair spray, etc. I pointed out to him that they were not giving him any coverage and looked like they were more trouble than they were worth. Next thing I knew he shaved the top of his head and the wispy hairs were gone. But I don't think he would have appreciated any such comments from anybody else.

Our 34 year old son started losing his hair in high school. He started shaving his head in college mostly for economic reasons but I see he still has a lot of hair left but he says he won't ever let it grow out. He likes shaving his head and It does look good on him. He sometimes grows a bushy beard and he looks very much like the hunky physics professor he is.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:06 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
The only women that like bald men usually have a mustache.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:59 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't buy that. Nobody likes to have their Appearance criticized. We risk really hurting somebody's feelings and an alienation. Losing your hair can be pretty traumatic for folks, male and female alike even if it is gradual. Every adult man knows about combovers and how the public regards them and supposedly they have eyes and can see what is happening in the mirror.

My husband has lots of hair all around his head but the top is bald. He used to worry with long wispy hair on the top. Not a comb over but he figured he had to take care of what was left. But it was a PITA to worry about with wind, hats,hair spray, etc. I pointed out to him that they were not giving him any coverage and looked like they were more trouble than they were worth. Next thing I knew he shaved the top of his head and the wispy hairs were gone. But I don't think he would have appreciated any such comments from anybody else.

Our 34 year old son started losing his hair in high school. He started shaving his head in college mostly for economic reasons but I see he still has a lot of hair left but he says he won't ever let it grow out. He likes shaving his head and It does look good on him. He sometimes grows a bushy beard and he looks very much like the hunky physics professor he is.
I would take greater offense if there was a glaring problem with my appearance that everyone noticed but wouldn't mention to me. I suppose the reaction varies.

Criticism may appear cruel, but if the blunt honesty comes from a caring place, the person will appreciate it in the long term. Cruelty with malicious intent will just hurt the person without any resolve.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:07 AM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Default Comb-over?

What comb-over?

Old 11-21-2015, 06:08 AM

interesting dilemma.
I'm assuming the "offending" person is well aware of their appearance and has just made a personal choice.
Would you tell an overweight person they need to lose weight or a skinny person they need to bulk up? Would you tell somebody with extreme acne to go to a dermatologist or somebody with oily hair they need to wash their hair?

Now I would tell a complete stranger if they had toilet paper on their shoes or tucked into their skirt. and I'd tell a dinner companion if they had spinach in their teeth.

Once I stood in line behind a woman and her precious 6-8 year old daughter. We stood for a long time and there was a bit of chat. I noticed the child had extreme ear discharge. It was horrible. I debated if I should say something to the woman. Was she aware or not? was the child sick and maybe the woman didn't know? They were complete strangers and I would never see them again. After great angst I finally casually said "Oh I'm sorry she is having ear problems. I hope she isn't in any pain." The woman had no idea what I was talking about and was not aware of the discharge at all and the kid didn't even realize what was going on. I got out some kleenex and she was able to clean her up a bit and she thanked me for mentioning it. I only did so because i was concerned for her health. I guess that was meddling and it could have gone terribly wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty