Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:38 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times

Advertisements

My husbands favorite jeans are Nautica... although they definitely look like 'Dad Jeans' (he's 29). We get them from Dillards.

I got some really cute little Nautica Jeans, Shirts and Jackets for my kids from Marshalls a couple of years back. They were really nice quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,266 times
Nautica - The Official Site For Apparel, Accessories, Home & More.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:42 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,046,464 times
Lacoste is the "upscale" version from Izod. There is a "difference" in these two brands. Can't believe the normal polos run $75-$80 where I live! My son is 17 and he says the current flavor of the month is Brooks Brothers shirts (yes...for teenagers!) and Vineyard Vines.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 03-14-2017 at 09:57 AM..

Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 AM

379 posts, read 255,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Lacoste is the "upscale" version from Izod. Can't believe the normal polos run $75-$80 where I live! My son is 17 and he says the current flavor of the month is Brooks Brothers shirts (yes...for teenagers!) and Vineyard Vines.
The Brooks Brothers dress shirts fit like tents. Some of those damn things went down to the back of my knees and the twill of the shirt was unbreathable. If the weather reached over 65 degrees F, I'd be a sweaty mess by the end of a workday.

Izod is one of my favorites.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:53 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,612 times
I always felt Nautica was overpriced for what it offered. It's mid-level preppy fare. Nothing against it, if you can find it on sale it's pretty well made from my experience with a couple items I've owned over the years.

It certainly isn't relevant but I think at least people have heard of it, in many cases. That's something and that's probably why they haven't yet killed the brand.

Jazz, do you like Lacoste or is that somehow outside of your paradigm of what you'll wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
The Brooks Brothers dress shirts fit like tents. Some of those damn things went down to the back of my knees and the twill of the shirt was unbreathable. If the weather reached over 65 degrees F, I'd be a sweaty mess by the end of a workday.
Oh my, THIS. They're HUGE. I have them in the correct sleeve and neck sizes for me that work with most every other shirt-maker and yet BB shirts just billow on me. I don't think it would be possible to be big enough to actually need all that fabric and still be able to fit their neck sizes so I have absolutely no idea why they make them so massive. Nice shirts otherwise, but sheesh...it's so much unnecessary fabric and it's not flattering. I just wonder, WHY?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,046,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post

Izod is one of my favorites.
Yeah...I think he was talking more of the BB polo shirts. From the look of them in the store recently, looks like they updated their look/style/fit to keep up with the millennials. The hefty price tag is still there though...I told him he needs to get a job first!

Old 03-14-2017, 10:20 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,329,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I always felt Nautica was overpriced for what it offered. It's mid-level preppy fare. Nothing against it, if you can find it on sale it's pretty well made from my experience with a couple items I've owned over the years.

It certainly isn't relevant but I think at least people have heard of it, in many cases. That's something and that's probably why they haven't yet killed the brand.

Jazz, do you like Lacoste or is that somehow outside of your paradigm of what you'll wear?

I have occasionally gotten some good deals on Nautica clothing, sometimes for not much more than my usual IZOD. They will often sell for less than a comparable shirt from Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, or Polo Ralph Lauren, particularly during major sales. I have also gotten good deals on Nautica clothing at Stein Mart and Costco, as well as Amazon.

As for Lacoste, they are way too overpriced, often even more expensive than Polo Ralph Lauren, and they practically never go on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Lacoste is the "upscale" version from Izod. There is a "difference" in these two brands. Can't believe the normal polos run $75-$80 where I live! My son is 17 and he says the current flavor of the month is Brooks Brothers shirts (yes...for teenagers!) and Vineyard Vines.
Lacoste and IZOD have been separate since the 1990s. Lacoste is currently owned by Maus Frères SA, a Swiss family-owned holding group that also owns Gant. IZOD is owned by PVH, an American fashion company that also owns Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen, ARROW, Warner's, Olga, and the North American rights to Speedo.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:33 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,224 times
Vineyard Vines is also a popular brand where I live.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:36 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I know back in the 1990s the Nautica brand was in its prime, competing with upscale brands such as Polo Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and Tommy Hilfiger.

It seems that nowadays you don't hear much about Nautica anymore. While I have a few Nautica shirts, nowadays they seem to be competing more with IZOD and Chaps, only priced slightly above those two brands. I didn't seem to notice any difference in quality from my myriad of IZOD shirts.

I was wondering, does anyone think the Nautica brand is still relevant today, or is it considered a dead brand? For what reason did they decide to move downmarket?
I wear it. For a while it wasn't relevant, but it seems to have come back into play.

Nautica, and Tommy Hilfiger, weren't relevant for a minute. But both brands are popular again, and I wear both brands.

A few things to keep in mind.

Tommy Hilfiger is fitted now. The large sizing from the nineties and early aughts is gone. If you want it to fit that way, buy a few sizes up. If you're big and tall, forget about Tommy Hilfiger, especially for pants.

Nautica's quality is decent, but I think it may have been better back in the nineties. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for an item.

If you want quality just stick with Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein. Forget about Nautica and Hilfiger. Personally, I don't like logos, so I stick with Calvin Klein. Plus no one is really checking for Calvin Klein so the likelihood of someone wearing what I'm wearing is one in a million. With Ralph Lauren, chances are one in five someone else is wearing what I'm wearing, unless I go vintage and start pulling from the back of the closet. You might also want to look into RRL, if you can afford it. You'll never run into someone looking like you with RRL.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:25 PM

49 posts, read 97,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
You don't consider a brand that caters specifically to those who enjoy sailing "somewhat unique"?
The only people I know that still wear that brand post 90s are into sailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty