Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:39 PM

49 posts, read 97,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I have occasionally gotten some good deals on Nautica clothing, sometimes for not much more than my usual IZOD. They will often sell for less than a comparable shirt from Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, or Polo Ralph Lauren, particularly during major sales. I have also gotten good deals on Nautica clothing at Stein Mart and Costco, as well as Amazon.

As for Lacoste, they are way too overpriced, often even more expensive than Polo Ralph Lauren, and they practically never go on sale.

Lacoste and IZOD have been separate since the 1990s. Lacoste is currently owned by Maus Frères SA, a Swiss family-owned holding group that also owns Gant. IZOD is owned by PVH, an American fashion company that also owns Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen, ARROW, Warner's, Olga, and the North American rights to Speedo.
There is a good reason that Lacoste cost more then Ralph Lauren and that reason is quality.
Ralph Lauren is made in China. Lacoste is made in France.
I do like Ralph Lauren as well but it is cheap crap compared to Lacoste.
A Lacoste polo shirt will out live a Ralph Lauren polo shirt by many many years.
Ralph Lauren polo shirts fade. They lose their shape. They start to look like crap.
But the Lacoste ones last and last.

So I feel in some situations it's cheaper to own Lacoste.
You have to replace it less.

You seem to really like polo shirts.
Since Lacoste makes polo shirts you should definitely get one.
It will be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
My husbands favorite jeans are Nautica... although they definitely look like 'Dad Jeans' (he's 29). We get them from Dillards.

I got some really cute little Nautica Jeans, Shirts and Jackets for my kids from Marshalls a couple of years back. They were really nice quality.
I've never been to a Dillard's. For some reason I am frightened by them.
What's it like there?
Is it like Sears?
Because Sears scares me.
I think it's all tools and stuff.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Vineyard Vines is also a popular brand where I live.
Yes vineyard vines is very popular in the retirement and nursing home communities.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:31 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwdst57731 View Post
The only people I know that still wear that brand post 90s are into sailing.
I'm a true sailor, I race and I used to deliver boats for Beneteau and I would never wear Nautica nor have I ever seen any of my fellow yachties in Nautica.

Foulies are made by specific companies to keep you warm and dry are very expensive.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:17 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I wear it. For a while it wasn't relevant, but it seems to have come back into play.

Nautica, and Tommy Hilfiger, weren't relevant for a minute. But both brands are popular again, and I wear both brands.

A few things to keep in mind.

Tommy Hilfiger is fitted now. The large sizing from the nineties and early aughts is gone. If you want it to fit that way, buy a few sizes up. If you're big and tall, forget about Tommy Hilfiger, especially for pants.

Nautica's quality is decent, but I think it may have been better back in the nineties. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for an item.

If you want quality just stick with Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein. Forget about Nautica and Hilfiger. Personally, I don't like logos, so I stick with Calvin Klein. Plus no one is really checking for Calvin Klein so the likelihood of someone wearing what I'm wearing is one in a million. With Ralph Lauren, chances are one in five someone else is wearing what I'm wearing, unless I go vintage and start pulling from the back of the closet. You might also want to look into RRL, if you can afford it. You'll never run into someone looking like you with RRL.
As for Nautica, my past few Nautica purchases actually fit quite well and I still wear them from time to time. However, Nautica does offer a slim fit line as do most fashion companies. I haven't bought a new Nautica shirt in a while, and with ABG now in charge, I don't know if the fit has changed since.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm a true sailor, I race and I used to deliver boats for Beneteau and I would never wear Nautica nor have I ever seen any of my fellow yachties in Nautica.

Foulies are made by specific companies to keep you warm and dry are very expensive.

I'm not saying they wear it racing. I don't know what they wear when they race because I don't race. (There's no adrenaline rush in racing so it does nothing but bore me)
But when people are super into sailing and some one needs to buy them a gift some people get them nautica stuff thinking they'll like it because it's sailing themed. So then they wear it.
I'm a little shocked that you don't have anything nautica if you are so into sailing.
You'd think some one would have gotten you a nautica something as a gift at some point.

Also if you are looking to save money on foul weather gear go to a boat show.
They usually have a booth with a vendor that sells overstock stuff.
I once got an Atlantis jacket for ten dollars.
But it was also the last hour of the show on the last day so they were practically giving stuff away at that point.
So go to a boat show then shop at the last hour on the last day.
You'd be amazed at how cheap stuff is at that point.

Last edited by Iwdst57731; 04-03-2019 at 07:28 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As for Nautica, my past few Nautica purchases actually fit quite well and I still wear them from time to time. However, Nautica does offer a slim fit line as do most fashion companies. I haven't bought a new Nautica shirt in a while, and with ABG now in charge, I don't know if the fit has changed since.
Will you please just go buy a Lacoste polo.
You can probably find one in good condition on eBay.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:13 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
I'm not saying they wear it racing. I don't know what they wear when they race because I don't race. (There's no adrenaline rush in racing so it does nothing but bore me)
But when people are super into sailing and some one needs to buy them a gift some people get them nautica stuff thinking they'll like it because it's sailing themed. So then they wear it.
I'm a little shocked that you don't have anything nautica if you are so into sailing.
You'd think some one would have gotten you a nautica something as a gift at some point.

Also if you are looking to save money on foul weather gear go to a boat show.
They usually have a booth with a vendor that sells overstock stuff.
I once got an Atlantis jacket for ten dollars.
But it was also the last hour of the show on the last day so they were practically giving stuff away at that point.
So go to a boat show then shop at the last hour on the last day.
You'd be amazed at how cheap stuff is at that point.
I live in Fort Lauderdale which is the yachting capital of North America.

So many of my friends are yachties whether they work on or captain a yacht, are yacht brokers, race professionally for a living, chef on a yacht, etc. These people make their living in the industry.

I don't know a soul who wears Nautica.

I attend the FLIBS which is the largest boat show in the world along with Miami and Palm Beach. I don't buy my foulies at boat shows.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I live in Fort Lauderdale which is the yachting capital of North America.

So many of my friends are yachties whether they work on or captain a yacht, are yacht brokers, race professionally for a living, chef on a yacht, etc. These people make their living in the industry.

I don't know a soul who wears Nautica.

I attend the FLIBS which is the largest boat show in the world along with Miami and Palm Beach. I don't buy my foulies at boat shows.
I know where Fort Lauderdale is lol.
I just think it's very strange that no one has ever purchased you a nautica something as a gift since you are so into sailing.
I have also known yacht brokers, captains, chefs, people that have raced professionally, etcetera.
I'm sorry but your list is really sad. Especially since you are in the "yachting capital of America" lol.
I am not impressed.

Buy your foul weather gear where ever you like.
But you are a fool to pay more for something that you can get at a discounted price.

Last edited by Iwdst57731; 04-03-2019 at 09:17 PM..

Old 04-04-2019, 06:54 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:
I've never been to a Dillard's. For some reason I am frightened by them.
What's it like there?
Is it like Sears?
Because Sears scares me.
I think it's all tools and stuff.
Your comment is hilarious to me. No, Dillard's isn't like Sears at all. Dillards is pretty much a low end department store - probably a notch down from Macy's, but a bit better than Kohl's. I don't think that Dillard's sells tools or appliances or anything like that - mostly clothes and personal items - makeup, fragrances, bed and bath, etc.

If I had a choice, I'd never shop at Dillard's, but unfortunately, where I live there just aren't any good department stores. We don't even have a Macy's here, let alone a Bloomingdale's. All we have as far as department stores are Dillard's and Belk - yuck!

Back on topic, I've never cared for Nautica and have never bought anything by that brand and I've never noticed any of my friends wearing it either, male or female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty