Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:29 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,612 times

Advertisements

I assume they wear it because it's comfortable and looks attractive to them and/or men. Obviously with any trend some people are going to be "doing it wrong" but you can find "fat" people wearing jeans too so let's not blame it all on athleisure clothing. (That's the industry term for it.)

I think it's aspirational as well. A woman who might well have no real intention of working out can still look like they are busy, "on the go" and committed to staying in shape. Hence, it's huge with the SAHMs in my area. I assume some of them work out in it. I think it's considered kind of a casual chic sort of thing. Here's my brightly-colored, matching workout outfit and shoes and whatever else. You can spend just as much on workout clothes as any other kind of clothes if you're into it.

I think it's too casual for a lot of applications but for around the house or some casual errands, I understand it. I'm relatively formal for my area but it's not like I've never left the house for an errand or two in gym shorts and a T-shirt.

My real kryptonite is capri pants though, so when it comes to leggings I am of course partial to women who wear capri/knee-length leggings.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:31 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
I'm from Denver, and ladies here wear active gear/spandex as their everyday wardrobe. I took a weekend trip to Crested Butte Colorado, walking through the town I literally was the only woman wearing jeans. I've traveled to a few places in the Midwest recently and did not see the trend in wardrobe there. In fact, I had a layover in the Nashville airport, saw a women in active gear and took a guess that she would be on my flight back to Denver...sure enough, I was right.
Is this a fashion trend seen in other cities?
I don't know why? I've seen some women out there wearing active gear whose butt shows and leaves nothing to be desired, so?

I suppose presently it's a trend....a big one, and they want to show off the bodies they have worked so hard to sculpture?

But yes, I think its a real heavy trend, along with eating well and highlighting their hair....

I agree, it's not always appropriate, but they don't think so.

I love wearing jeans to. (wink)

Old 03-31-2017, 08:31 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,866 times
If I'm out in exercise pants, it's because I'm coming from/going to a workout class or dance lesson/practice. And since I tend to combine errands/outings, that happens a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
And the idea that they are going to the gym, guess what every gym I have ever went to had a place to change.
I've been to Zumba and other independent studios where there is no dedicated changing room, only a small bathroom. So yeah, the clients come and go dressed in workout gear since it's inconsiderate (and impractical, if everyone were to do it) to monopolize the bathroom to change clothes.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:32 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I assume they wear it because it's comfortable and looks attractive to them and/or men. Obviously with any trend some people are going to be "doing it wrong" but you can find "fat" people wearing jeans too so let's not blame it all on athleisure clothing. (That's the industry term for it.)

I think it's aspirational as well. A woman who might well have no real intention of working out can still look like they are busy, "on the go" and committed to staying in shape. Hence, it's huge with the SAHMs in my area. I assume some of them work out in it. I think it's considered kind of a casual chic sort of thing. Here's my brightly-colored, matching workout outfit and shoes and whatever else. You can spend just as much on workout clothes as any other kind of clothes if you're into it.

I think it's too casual for a lot of applications but for around the house or some casual errands, I understand it. I'm relatively formal for my area but it's not like I've never left the house for an errand or two in gym shorts and a T-shirt.

My real kryptonite is capri pants though, so when it comes to leggings I am of course partial to women who wear capri/knee-length leggings.
yeah, I've seen the leggings thing with big over shirts and sweaters, and think it's cute.

Hey, if ya got it, flaunt it....lol

Old 03-31-2017, 08:32 AM

588 posts, read 562,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I just saw this in my town; it looked like a tourist couple, and the woman was wearing bright turquoise thin leggings or tights, with a turquoise top or light jacket, so she thought it was an "outfit". But she looked to be in her late 50's, was significantly overweight, and the thin spandex showed all the bulgy cellulite in her legs. It was unsightly. These were not leggings designed to look like pants or anything like that. They looked like some lightweight tights dancers would wear.

So, this is the new thing? Our local residents don't dress like that. (We're just south of CO.) I guess it means we're blissfully behind the times.
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is good to know that this is not typical in other cities. I agree, leggings are not pants.

Quote:
Leggings, or any other tight stretchable pants are basically panty hose that are legal to wear around. If it shows your actual outline of what your body looks like then I don't think it should be warn to work, unless your work is in a gym somewhere.
I have colleagues who do wear them to work, it looks unprofessional. Someone told me one day, well I'm going to the gym after work anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Wasn't the OP in a tourist town in Colorado, not at work?
To clarify, my opening sentence states "I'm from Denver, and ladies here wear active gear/spandex as their everyday wardrobe." Thus the thread title. Yes, I was in a tourist town; but I see it everywhere here, even at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Let people wear what they want.
I agree with you; however, I see this is a fashion trend that has gotten out of control. Legging/spandex are not pants. It is called ACTIVE gear for a reason, it is for when you are being active, not an everyday wardrobe choice.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:36 AM

190 posts, read 246,935 times
As in every other person wearing it like in your town/area, its everywhere but might depend on the area if practically everyone uses it like in your area. If they dont use it like that, some people do it themselves.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:43 AM

588 posts, read 562,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post

That's a level of fakeness I don't buy into.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:23 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Sorry, you are right. Let me rephrase that. I don't think they should be warn in public. If your all hanging out there that shows a lack of class.

And the idea that they are going to the gym, guess what every gym I have ever went to had a place to change.
Colorado is a fit place. I wouldn't want to see the average southerner in spandex, but here, it isn't objectionable.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:34 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,450 times
Comfort is the number one reason, but I have to throw out weight gain too. Colorado is a fit town but recently I was in another state and the number of obese women I saw in spandex surprised me so it's everywhere, not just in Colorado. I have recently gained some weight and I will admit that stretchy leggings with an activewear top is much more comfortable than snug jeans. But it's also easy to deceive yourself that you are smaller than what you are when you wear form-fitting clothes that expand when you gain.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:47 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,475 times
Because they want to and like it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty