Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 06:49 AM

827 posts, read 660,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've had it back to Rolex US Repair HQ several times for overhaul/repair and they've never told me it was a fake, so I'm guessing it isn't. Typically they won't service a fake. I paid the going rate for it and bought it from a large, reputable pawn shop (Dick's Pawn Shop in N. Myrtle Beach, SC).
How much do they charge for servicing? Mine will need to be done someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 07:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Rolex is a poor timekeeper and not that well made. It is basically jewelry that makes no sense. There are better pricey jewelry watches that are pretty and also high quality timekeepers. Rolex is not a good watch and not that great as jewlry either. To me, Rolex says I have a lot of money and no sense. Or it says I am a sheep who cannot research and make sensible decisions rather than going with the trends.

I am a clock and watch aficionado, so an uber expensive poor or average quality timepiece that is just a shiny bauble makes little sense to me. But then I am not a "ladies" either, so maybe there are ladies out there who are impressed by senseless bling. My wife would shoot me if I came home wearing a Rolex. If we have money to waste, we give it to charities or directly to people who are in desperate need.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:39 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I like men who can afford them. I have had the same Concord Saratoga since 1995, and it still looks brand new and it will never go out of style. So, no, no desire for a Rolex.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:48 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
How much do they charge for servicing? Mine will need to be done someday.
$500 (or more) would not surprise me.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:40 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Rolex is a poor timekeeper and not that well made. It is basically jewelry that makes no sense. There are better pricey jewelry watches that are pretty and also high quality timekeepers. Rolex is not a good watch and not that great as jewlry either. To me, Rolex says I have a lot of money and no sense. Or it says I am a sheep who cannot research and make sensible decisions rather than going with the trends.

I am a clock and watch aficionado, so an uber expensive poor or average quality timepiece that is just a shiny bauble makes little sense to me. But then I am not a "ladies" either, so maybe there are ladies out there who are impressed by senseless bling. My wife would shoot me if I came home wearing a Rolex. If we have money to waste, we give it to charities or directly to people who are in desperate need.
I always thought Rolex was a big deal because of exceptional quality and function. Hmm.

Would you have any favorites or suggestions for a high quality brand that is worth it? Not uber expensive though.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I always thought Rolex was a big deal because of exceptional quality and function. Hmm.

Would you have any favorites or suggestions for a high quality brand that is worth it? Not uber expensive though.
Actually for pure timekeeping, any quartz watch will keep as good or better time than a fancy wind up watch. Wind up watches are of interest because of the remarkable precision engineering that goes into them or as jewelry. Some excel in both.

Seiko probably makes the best mechanical watches for a budget. The make some really beautiful looking watches as well. Of course the better looking ones come with a price tag. Up to a p[oint, then as the price goes up you start seeing them plastered with gems and then the get pretty ugly. Omega makes a nice Coaxial escapement watch for about $2K. That is getting a bit pricy.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:00 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
I definitely would not care to have a Rolex.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've had it back to Rolex US Repair HQ several times for overhaul/repair and they've never told me it was a fake, so I'm guessing it isn't. Typically they won't service a fake. I paid the going rate for it and bought it from a large, reputable pawn shop (Dick's Pawn Shop in N. Myrtle Beach, SC).
What, they have Rolex’s at Dicks? (I used to live in Surfside.)

Old 12-19-2018, 02:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Maybe a decade ago I purchased a simple Movado watch from the outlet. I had been coveting those from like age 12. I always loved a watch with a simple face and few numbers. Even as a kid. I hated numbers on my watch.

Anyway that watch was a splurge. I spent a couple hundred dollars. Not sure anymore. But one of my most expensive purchases at the time.

Anyway in some ways I am old school in the idea that accessories are key in giving off the right impression. And I chose my accessories wisely. Particularly for job interviews and stuff. And let me tell you, it helped a lot to alleviate some fears about not fitting in. For background I work in tech and have been for a while. It is cliquey, and largely white (and Asian) and middle class. And here in Silicon Valley there are some pervasive stereotypes around class and race. So having appropriate accessories to signal can really really help you appear to fit in. Especially if you are going to stick out.

So for me this Movado watch, in addition to being so me, was also a helpful signaler. And people in job interviews commented on it. And I am sure it helped me get some jobs.

So after a year or so of just using the watch on special occasions, I decided to make it my daily watch. The first day I pulled it out and wore it and then I noticed the strap was loose. I also noticed some small scratches. I wasn’t super careful but also not rough either. A screw had fallen out. I went over to the watch repair place. They sent my watch to get a replacement screw and I wore my other watches.

I got it back and tried again. Sure enough after a few days or weeks another screw fell out. And back to repair it went. This happened two more times. And I was fed up. I had never had a screw issue on a watch before. All of my cheaper watches lasted with no issues. At that point I was totally fed up and stopped wearing it. It turned me off from the brand after years and years of admiration.

I had a few different watches over the years but at some point they felt a little too fancy for every day as work got more casual. The Shinola I am wearing these days has numbers. Which is definitely weird for me. But it has been very durable and reliable. Unlike that Movado.

While I may one day splurge on a watch again. I am definitely gun shy. I got my Shinola at Nordstrom Rack for half price.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:44 PM

827 posts, read 660,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

My aren't you in a bad mood today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty