Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
How about looking at some JJill.

https://www.jjill.com/shop/shopbysiz...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lots of comfortable but more “pulled together” looks. Find some nice leather booties. Or some dressier knee boots. I love Uggs. I have many pair, I’m 68 and live on a mountain. I have their snow boots also. I always wear socks with them.

Not sure what kind of jewelry your grandmother likes, but pearls are big in fashion now.

No they don’t have to be the old fashion graduated pearl necklace.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pear...DmHg_YuSJ-VD6M

Pearl stud earrings are simple and comfortable.

Alegeria has comfortable flats and sandals that are more dressy than your run of the mill flip flops. I love wearing my fit flops and have some glitzy ones but it seems your grandmother doesn’t approve.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aleg...w=1112&bih=725

I know they are a little funky looking but are a good compromise with your bad back.
JJill is a bit to old for a 30-something. Also adding more polish doesn’t require spending more on clothes. It is about what you choose. The new Prologue line at Target is a great example of hipper staples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
JJill is a bit to old for a 30-something. Also adding more polish doesn’t require spending more on clothes. It is about what you choose. The new Prologue line at Target is a great example of hipper staples.
Actually JJill sounded more like what she wears now. Just a bit better quality and classic. I’ve never shopped at Target so I don’t know their quality. I’ve always subscribed to “by less but buy quality” all my life.

Just looked at the Prologue look book. Not impressed. Don’t think it would impress her grandmother either.

Telltale signs of lesser quality is puckering of seams. Here is a review by a blogger.

https://katamongdogs.com/2018/09/25/...ologue-review/

Just my opinion.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:20 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
I haven't seen Target's prices and choices, but J Jill has ongoing sales and clearances. Their listed full-retail prices aren't the actual point-of-sale price, since they have a 30%-off sale going almost constantly, which also applies to their clearance items.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
I'll mention that one brand both my college-age daughter and I like very much is Lucky. It may not be the OP's style, but it's a line that I think is appropriate for both young and middle-aged. I also like Madewell.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:29 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
My thirty something boss tends to like Versona and Maurice for a casual look, my thirty something daughter will sometimes go for some of the tamer Free People looks, basically pullovers with some nice detailing that isn't frilly or frou frou.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:37 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Why?
I’m happy.

I don’t want leather booties, I like how warm UGGs are and TBH I don’t care if someone doesn’t like them. I dress to be warm in the winter. I have a pair of leather boots and they’re just not as comfortable.

Yeah. Majority of them. I know a few people who like to dress more girly but they’re few and far between.

Yeah if it’s warm enough I’m in flip flops. I don’t like flats because I don’t like my feet getting hot. I’ve found what I like and I’m happy.

I have athletic shoes, I wear my UGGs when I don’t feel like my ankles being cold all day.
I get back cramps when I’m too cold.

Shhhh. So do I.

She’s showed me ideas. I’m not imagining what she said, that’s simply my description for her style.

Yeah give me a minute, I have to refresh my memory on how to post photos here.

She’s aware but sometimes she forgets.
Txt is not looking for suggestions on stepping up her wardrobe. She wants affirmations that she's right.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:52 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Txt is not looking for suggestions on stepping up her wardrobe. She wants affirmations that she's right.
True, but did ask what thirty year olds are supposed to wear. I do hope she was expecting to hear lots of opinions on that.

Last edited by DubbleT; 11-07-2018 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: still want to see her photos

Old 11-07-2018, 10:57 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I know the correct answer is “whatever makes them happy” but I’m asking more along societal standards.

My grandmother sometimes makes comments about how I should dress “older” and I think by “older” she means more “feminine” and “frilly”.

In my opinion I don’t dress “boyish” but it’s also not overtly “girly”.

Instead of skinny jeans and a floral pattern blouse w/ heels and jewelry I’ll wear skinny jeans with a solid color shirt, UGGs, flip flops or basic shoes and I do my hair and make up.

I don’t wear graphic t’s, shirts with words, stuff written on my ass, etc.

Everything she shows me is always more dressy or more formal, slacks, frilly floral blouses, heels, jewelry and shirt that looks like it would wrinkle if you wore a jacket over it. I never go places where I would need to wear heels or wear a bunch of jewelry.

I go to the store, her doctor visits, my physical therapy and if/when I go out to dinner I have outfits that are super cute and don’t require looking like I’m headed to a receptionist job in the 70s.

I’d say jeans, leggings, solid color tanks, tees and long sleeves, shorts, some cute dresses, flannel button ups.
That’s all crap people in their late 20s and early 30s wear.

I mean she finds things at Chico’s she thinks would be cute and I haven’t see anyone my age at Chico’s.

I know she has the best of intentions but I don’t even have children yet and I’m not about to start dressing like I have 3 grandchildren.

Help?
How do I explain to her what I wear is on par for my age?
When she points people out to me they’re always older than me and she never agrees with me when I tell her that.

I'm 50 and don't dress how your grandmother wants you too.

You should dress in a manner that is appropriate for what you are doing and where you are going, and there are all kinds of versions of appropriate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-07-2018, 11:09 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
It’s a question of appropriateness. I’ve had this discussion with my boys, but my daughter has always dressed appropriately according to the circumstances.

My view is that, if the younger generation cares about being appropriate, they should listen to their grandparents, because half the time, their parents are clueless too.

My youngest son is 35. He’s a soldier, and most of his clothing is extremely casual, including shorts, tee shirts and a ball cap. A few times, Ive told him to stop dressing like a 12 year old. At least he owns a few suits, and will dress well for a wedding or funeral. We went with him and his wife and a few of their friends to a nice old guard country club for a lovely brunch. Most of the guests were older and were dressed nicely, including dh and I, but the kids were in holey jeans and other things that I thought were not right. It’s not as if these kids were raised like wolves or anything. At least, my son knows better than to keep his hat on inside. At least I won that battle.

At my sister in law’s funeral it was 17 degrees outside. Her 30 something DIL, wore leggings, a tank top, a cardigan sweater and spike heels. She stuck out like a sore thumb, and people thought she was nuts.

It’s not about you feeling comfortable, it’s about how you present yourself.

Last edited by gentlearts; 11-07-2018 at 11:20 AM..

Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 450 times
Default What are 30 years old supposed to wear

I guess the rightful answer is that fine there is freedom for them to wear any kind of dresses and color of there choice but I think it should be a coperately dress strictly for the early thirties am not supposed to see a woman of that age and putting on a skinny jean...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty