U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2018, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,963 posts, read 6,400,909 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I agree....

age-appropriate clothing is what you should focus on, you're not a kid anymore. That's likely what your grandmother is trying to say...You don't have to give up jeans but a pair of smart leather booties is more appropriate than Uggs. Shop in stores that have styles for women your age. Walk about boutiques or review magazines and see what you like.

You're not the age range for junior size/style shopping. Jewelry not necessary if you don't care for it. Go for a more put together look than just throwing on comfort clothes. They look sloppy.

Have fun choosing clothing a bit more sophisticated.
Why?
I’m happy.
I don’t want leather booties, I like how warm UGGs are and TBH I don’t care if someone doesn’t like them. I dress to be warm in the winter. I have a pair of leather boots and they’re just not as comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It could be a generational thing too. My mom tells me to cut my hair short, I am too old to have shoulder length hair. She has never stayed with the times, so I take her advice with a grain of salt.

To your friends your age dress the same?
Yeah. Majority of them. I know a few people who like to dress more girly but they’re few and far between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Frankly you sound like a lot of 30 somethings in New England I know. They do occasionally dress up and like summer type dresses and flats but very few wear heels thank god. For dinners and the like in the winter you might choose a nice sweater instead of a long sleeved shirt. Scarfs are also the thing it seems though not all can pull them off. You might choose fancier flip flops and a nice ankle boot for when you go out to dinner.

This look is adorable for a 30 something http://www.instylebeads.com/wp-conte...image013-9.jpg if you are thin.
Yeah if it’s warm enough I’m in flip flops. I don’t like flats because I don’t like my feet getting hot. I’ve found what I like and I’m happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
You are right... It's a look I see all ages wearing from grade schoolers to 80+. Take off the UGGs and replace with athletic shoes and it sounds about what my late Mother usually wore and she was well into her 90s.
I have athletic shoes, I wear my UGGs when I don’t feel like my ankles being cold all day.
I get back cramps when I’m too cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh my gosh, txtqueen is on the brink of her thirties? I suddenly feel very old.
Shhhh. So do I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
First, instead of imagining what your grandmother thinks, why don't you ask her?

Personally, I think that at 30, you should be able to dress as an adult. Not in your leisure time, but at work, at least. Not jeans, not tanks. You're getting a little too old for "cute." It's possibly that although your grandmother's taste may be feminine, maybe all she wants is for you to look like an adult.

That doesn't mean looking matronly. But, yes, a little more tailored, a little better quality, a little more formal.
She’s showed me ideas. I’m not imagining what she said, that’s simply my description for her style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm still having a hard time getting a mental picture of what the OP's wearing and what the grandma is objecting to--can you find pics on Pinterest or shopping sites to show us what your outfits look like?
Yeah give me a minute, I have to refresh my memory on how to post photos here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can so relate to this! Back issues, and podiatry issues are why I don't wear heels. Well, besides the fact that I've never been interested in them, anyway. Have you explained to your gran, that you can't wear heels, for medical reasons?
She’s aware but sometimes she forgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2018, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY
3,998 posts, read 3,565,302 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I know the correct answer is “whatever makes them happy” but I’m asking more along societal standards.

My grandmother sometimes makes comments about how I should dress “older” and I think by “older” she means more “feminine” and “frilly”.

In my opinion I don’t dress “boyish” but it’s also not overtly “girly”.

Instead of skinny jeans and a floral pattern blouse w/ heels and jewelry I’ll wear skinny jeans with a solid color shirt, UGGs, flip flops or basic shoes and I do my hair and make up.

I don’t wear graphic t’s, shirts with words, stuff written on my ass, etc.

Everything she shows me is always more dressy or more formal, slacks, frilly floral blouses, heels, jewelry and shirt that looks like it would wrinkle if you wore a jacket over it. I never go places where I would need to wear heels or wear a bunch of jewelry.

I go to the store, her doctor visits, my physical therapy and if/when I go out to dinner I have outfits that are super cute and don’t require looking like I’m headed to a receptionist job in the 70s.

I’d say jeans, leggings, solid color tanks, tees and long sleeves, shorts, some cute dresses, flannel button ups.
That’s all crap people in their late 20s and early 30s wear.

I mean she finds things at Chico’s she thinks would be cute and I haven’t see anyone my age at Chico’s.

I know she has the best of intentions but I don’t even have children yet and I’m not about to start dressing like I have 3 grandchildren.

Help?
How do I explain to her what I wear is on par for my age?
When she points people out to me they’re always older than me and she never agrees with me when I tell her that.
She's old, she does't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2018, 01:29 PM
 
Location: north narrowlina
767 posts, read 229,363 times
Reputation: 3111
something tells me your grandma might not be able to grasp that you are an average 30 year old...... so just tell her you are so exceptional that you have to live up to the standards that you are SURE she stood for..... after all, grandma, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. smile. hug her. thank her for being who she was...... and continues to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2018, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY
3,998 posts, read 3,565,302 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Perhaps upgrade to some different boots that you can wear with socks. UGGs weren't a good look when they were the current trend. Even less so now.

To be honest, what you're describing sounds like what 20-somethings wear. You don't have to go old fashioned and stodgy, but your 30's might be time to consider polishing your look a little.
Why? She's not 50 or 60. Why should somebody completely reinvent their image, just because they enter another decade? Not much different between 28 and 30. If such a change is natural, then sure, but forcing it is just dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2018, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,518 posts, read 22,777,773 times
Reputation: 45324
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Why?
I’m happy.
I don’t want leather booties, I like how warm UGGs are and TBH I don’t care if someone doesn’t like them. I dress to be warm in the winter. I have a pair of leather boots and they’re just not as comfortable.

Yeah if it’s warm enough I’m in flip flops. I don’t like flats because I don’t like my feet getting hot. I’ve found what I like and I’m happy.


I have athletic shoes, I wear my UGGs when I don’t feel like my ankles being cold all day.
I get back cramps when I’m too cold.
I'm still confused--do you not wear socks? I can't imagine only having UGGs and flip flops--it seems so limiting when there are so many kinds of cute, functional, and comfortable shoes out there.

Everybody wants to be comfortable, and you can definitely look like yourself and be pulled-together as well. You've shot down every idea that people have to update your look. Like it or not, your appearance is often the first impression people make of you, maybe your grandma is out of line, but maybe she isn't.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 11-06-2018 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2018, 02:23 PM
 
8,105 posts, read 3,932,584 times
Reputation: 27837
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Why? She's not 50 or 60. Why should somebody completely reinvent their image, just because they enter another decade? Not much different between 28 and 30. If such a change is natural, then sure, but forcing it is just dumb.
I don't recall ever saying that anyone should "completely reinvent their image."

Polishing your look isn't reinventing yourself. Don't over dramatize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2018, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
18,979 posts, read 12,562,508 times
Reputation: 24556
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Retire the Uggs and flip flops with grandma. You are one step away from pajamas.

There are some really cute jeans and sweaters on the market. You can be comfortable and cute.

Jeans
https://www.vicicollection.com/colle...tressed-skinny

Cardigan and tee shirt.
https://www.vicicollection.com/colle...keted-cardigan

Leopard is the hot thing this year.
Honestly, why?

Is it possible that grandma is objecting OPs grooming, or lack thereof? But I still think that she gets to present herself to the world the way she wants. And Uggs are everywhere now. They should not be surprising to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2018, 06:12 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
17,652 posts, read 21,837,568 times
Reputation: 44604
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I know the correct answer is “whatever makes them happy” but I’m asking more along societal standards.

My grandmother sometimes makes comments about how I should dress “older” and I think by “older” she means more “feminine” and “frilly”.

In my opinion I don’t dress “boyish” but it’s also not overtly “girly”.

Instead of skinny jeans and a floral pattern blouse w/ heels and jewelry I’ll wear skinny jeans with a solid color shirt, UGGs, flip flops or basic shoes and I do my hair and make up.

I don’t wear graphic t’s, shirts with words, stuff written on my ass, etc.

Everything she shows me is always more dressy or more formal, slacks, frilly floral blouses, heels, jewelry and shirt that looks like it would wrinkle if you wore a jacket over it. I never go places where I would need to wear heels or wear a bunch of jewelry.

I go to the store, her doctor visits, my physical therapy and if/when I go out to dinner I have outfits that are super cute and don’t require looking like I’m headed to a receptionist job in the 70s.

I’d say jeans, leggings, solid color tanks, tees and long sleeves, shorts, some cute dresses, flannel button ups.
That’s all crap people in their late 20s and early 30s wear.

I mean she finds things at Chico’s she thinks would be cute and I haven’t see anyone my age at Chico’s.

I know she has the best of intentions but I don’t even have children yet and I’m not about to start dressing like I have 3 grandchildren.

Help?
How do I explain to her what I wear is on par for my age?
When she points people out to me they’re always older than me and she never agrees with me when I tell her that.

You just turned 30, not 70. CHICO's is not for people your age.

Continue to dress as you do. Times have changed. Get grandma a gift certificate to CHICO's and take her to shop with you at The Limited or American Eagle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Asheville NC
1,403 posts, read 1,168,945 times
Reputation: 3260
How about looking at some JJill.

https://www.jjill.com/shop/shopbysiz...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lots of comfortable but more “pulled together” looks. Find some nice leather booties. Or some dressier knee boots. I love Uggs. I have many pair, I’m 68 and live on a mountain. I have their snow boots also. I always wear socks with them.

Not sure what kind of jewelry your grandmother likes, but pearls are big in fashion now.

No they don’t have to be the old fashion graduated pearl necklace.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pear...DmHg_YuSJ-VD6M

Pearl stud earrings are simple and comfortable.

Alegeria has comfortable flats and sandals that are more dressy than your run of the mill flip flops. I love wearing my fit flops and have some glitzy ones but it seems your grandmother doesn’t approve.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aleg...w=1112&bih=725

I know they are a little funky looking but are a good compromise with your bad back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
18,000 posts, read 3,633,881 times
Reputation: 23053
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
How about looking at some JJill.

https://www.jjill.com/shop/shopbysiz...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lots of comfortable but more “pulled together” looks. Find some nice leather booties. Or some dressier knee boots. I love Uggs. I have many pair, I’m 68 and live on a mountain. I have their snow boots also. I always wear socks with them.

Not sure what kind of jewelry your grandmother likes, but pearls are big in fashion now.

No they don’t have to be the old fashion graduated pearl necklace.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pear...DmHg_YuSJ-VD6M

Pearl stud earrings are simple and comfortable.

Alegeria has comfortable flats and sandals that are more dressy than your run of the mill flip flops. I love wearing my fit flops and have some glitzy ones but it seems your grandmother doesn’t approve.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aleg...w=1112&bih=725

I know they are a little funky looking but are a good compromise with your bad back.

JJill I have shopped at many times. Simple, basic and usually well made. Try a little more polished look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top