Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 01:51 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times

Advertisements

I prefer to be shaped like a woman (and far too woman-shaped on the bottom to even consider anything in the men's section). While it's true that a lot of men's tops are "unisex," that usually means that the body of the shirt is stick straight, too long, and the shoulder seams are somewhere near my elbows. Men's/unisex tops just make me look schlumpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 02:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You ask them all?
No, of course not. I can tell women who are buying for their loved ones but the ones buying for themselves are usually not typical ladies. I've seen women trying out men's shirts and jackets at Macy's. My wife mentions that men's jackets and sweatshirts have more variety of colors than women's.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:24 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
No, of course not. I can tell women who are buying for their loved ones but the ones buying for themselves are usually not typical ladies. I've seen women trying out men's shirts and jackets at Macy's. My wife mentions that men's jackets and sweatshirts have more variety of colors than women's.

I'm not even sure what the bolded means. "Typical ladies"?

Old 09-16-2019, 02:26 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
I like men's jeans because I am only "curvy" on top. Bad waist to hip ratio, so women's jeans are too tight in the waist. I also have broad shoulders so women's tops don't fit me either. Nothing with buttons...

I hate clothes!

Old 09-16-2019, 03:24 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You ask them all?
Lol love this...

Old 09-16-2019, 03:27 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I've shopped for Levi's before in the Men's department because I'm 5'10" & the Women's section doesn't carry the 34" inseam.
I am six feet tall. I've long shopped in the men's department at times, sometimes for jeans, but also to get sweaters and other long-sleeved tops that have long-enough sleeves and come down longer than my waist.

There aren't any stores for tall women, so I usually shop online, but once in a while you want something right away, and the men's section may have it

Old 09-16-2019, 03:38 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
I wear my husband's undershirts for night shirts when I am traveling.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:46 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
That's nothing new. Most of my life I've shopped in men's departments for specific things and always will. Including long enough shirt, sweater, and jacket sleeves, broad enough shoulders, long pant inseams. I also find I detest many "fashion" colors and patterns in women's clothes. Too garish, too bright.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Funny you should say this, OP. I've never before shopped in the men's dept for clothing for myself, but I did yesterday.

I want workout clothes to go to the gym that aren't threadbare and clingy. I really just wanted a standard thick nice all cotton t-shirt to go over exercise/yoga capris that's long enough to be modest.

I can't find that in the women's departments of Academy and Target. As it is, in those stores, I'm buying an extra large so it's not just skin tight like a bathing suit, although I normally wear a small to medium.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:22 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I like men's jeans because I am only "curvy" on top. Bad waist to hip ratio, so women's jeans are too tight in the waist. I also have broad shoulders so women's tops don't fit me either. Nothing with buttons...

I hate clothes!
This is me, too! But I also have short legs, so I always have to alter jeans. I learned to sew as a teenager, so I could have stuff that fit properly.

If I can find a women's shirt to fit my shoulders, it has so many Xs in the size that the midsection part looks like a maternity top. And my tops are a size or two bigger than my pants. Women's clothes generally do not fit well or look great on me, so I stick to nondescript basics for the most part, from the men's section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty