Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 10:31 PM

2,140 posts, read 361,917 times

Advertisements

A small wallet that contains my ID and cards, a cough drop, a few coins and a few extra keys. Makeup stopped when I couldn’t see well enough to apply it. Hee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 09:27 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's not something I would carry around personally, but not all that unusual. Many CCW holders keep a firearm in their purse.

The checkbook on the other hand ... it surprises me when I hear people are still carrying those around. I think I've written maybe 2 checks in the last year. That relic can stay tucked away in my desk drawer.
I carry a few checks in my wallet because I often shop places that would just as soon not lose 3% on transaction fees — small businesses in particular. For the same reason, cash is handy, though I rarely carry much. Yes, I have a healthy array of cards, but I revived the check thing a year or two ago.

Other than that, my purse contains a pen, cell phone, keys, business cards, receipts, lip balm, and loose change.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:31 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Why carry a checkbook? Wouldn't a debit card be easier?
Because I prefer cheques!

Something else to consider. My debit card is linked to my low balance checking account. It is not linked to my HIGH balance account and quite frankly, the only way to access those funds is through cheque or face to face at the bank.

To the question, it might be an H&K USP.....but I wear a shoulder holster for that. These days, I carry a backpack instead and for many of the quick things, those go in the document pockets of my Tac shirt.

Old 01-09-2022, 01:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Cross body bag for me.....to many purse snatchings. When you carry a big bag, you tend to put it down...in a grocery carriage ect. So I only carry credit cards, ins cards, phone and keys.
Yes to this.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:04 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Cross body bag for me.....to many purse snatchings. When you carry a big bag, you tend to put it down...in a grocery carriage ect. So I only carry credit cards, ins cards, phone and keys.
That’s why when I bought the new phone I got a case that allows me to carry three cards.

It’s not just purse snatching here. It almost seems like the people doing the snatchings are intent on harming the person they are snatching from. We’ve had purse snatchings forever. But now they’re pulling on the person to throw the person down on the ground and kicking them. Or punching the woman to get the purse off of her.

I mean what the hell? Most of these women getting attacked are little old ladies. It’s one of the other reasons why I really don’t carry a lot of cash at all. I carry cash when I get my massage. When I’m not getting my massage, I carry five bucks.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:20 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Because I prefer cheques!

Something else to consider. My debit card is linked to my low balance checking account. It is not linked to my HIGH balance account and quite frankly, the only way to access those funds is through cheque or face to face at the bank.

To the question, it might be an H&K USP.....but I wear a shoulder holster for that. These days, I carry a backpack instead and for many of the quick things, those go in the document pockets of my Tac shirt.
What are cheques? Are you actually in the U.K. or something?

Old 01-09-2022, 03:24 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Checks.....thought everyone knew that.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:35 PM

814 posts, read 581,714 times
I love this topic.

Back when I was "Mommy", the contents of my large, cross-body messenger-type bag included: baby wipes, juice boxes, Kleenex, a spare diaper, a spare shirt for baby in case they threw up, a spare shirt for Mommy in case somebody threw up on her, sunscreen, in winter a spare pair of kiddie mittens, a dry diaper for wiping off other accidents. This was in addition to the usual paraphernalia.

As a college student, my smaller-size shoulder bag contained a full makeup bag, hand lotion, nail file, hairbrush, lipstick, Kleenex, lipstick, tampons, pens and small notepads.

As a retired mother of grownup kids my Brighton wallet with a strap contains some cash, some credit cards, a nail file, a few tissues, a spare mask, chapstick, check book and pen.

Handbags don't just hold stuff. They evolve over time. They reflect our lives. I buy expensive ones and wear them out. Just like me.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:00 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I used talk to text exclusively. Because I am possibly the worst typist in the world, and especially on a phone, with that dinky little keyboard. I also have my Siri set to Australian even though I’m American because when somebody new gets into my car and I ask Siri a question and she responds in Australian it almost always gets a laugh. And Lord knows we need more of those now.

But sometimes, that means my dictionary uses or spells words that are non-standard for Americans English. And although I proofread, I don’t always get everything.

And I love my phone so much that I only use my laptop when I am updating my family tree software. I do everything on my phone.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:54 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I carry a few checks in my wallet because I often shop places that would just as soon not lose 3% on transaction fees — small businesses in particular. For the same reason, cash is handy, though I rarely carry much. Yes, I have a healthy array of cards, but I revived the check thing a year or two ago.

Other than that, my purse contains a pen, cell phone, keys, business cards, receipts, lip balm, and loose change.
I can understand businesses trying to save the fees - they really add up. When you pay by check in a store do they require your driver's license as ID?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty