Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 08:01 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,447,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I can understand businesses trying to save the fees - they really add up. When you pay by check in a store do they require your driver's license as ID?
Usually they already know me, but if they ask, no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 06:24 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
I'm honestly surprised to read that there are still businesses that are charging credit card transaction fees. I can't remember the last time I came across that. I wonder if it's a regional thing?

Old 01-10-2022, 06:41 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm honestly surprised to read that there are still businesses that are charging credit card transaction fees. I can't remember the last time I came across that. I wonder if it's a regional thing?
Most don't, but it’s a courtesy to the business owner to pay by check. Just ask. Some companies are very small. Others just provide personal services.

Our auto mechanic, for example, prefers checks. He’s the owner and sole employee. Since he’ll do almost anything at the drop of a hat, we look after him with the same regard. That’s a small town thing, perhaps.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:46 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

I believe they were stating that they were saving the small business the transaction fee that they would be charged. Not the customer.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:20 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Most don't, but it’s a courtesy to the business owner to pay by check. Just ask. Some companies are very small. Others just provide personal services.

Our auto mechanic, for example, prefers checks. He’s the owner and sole employee. Since he’ll do almost anything at the drop of a hat, we look after him with the same regard. That’s a small town thing, perhaps.
Ah. Well in those cases, I typically use a cash app. My cleaning service, my handyman, etc. They all seem to prefer the cash app option.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:37 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

One thing I have noticed is that those of us females of a certain age use crossbody bags. In my observation, most, or many of us, do not carry heavy shoulder bags, or hand purses. I carried heavy bags around for years, but no more.

Designer crossbody bags are stylish AND practical. AND they are usually cheaper than a large designer tote or hobo AND work super well when you don’t want to worry about losing anything, like at a concert or sporting event. I love them as a woman who likes to travel light tho I’m part of a younger generation & we don’t carry around much except sunglasses, keys, debit card & license, phone, a feminine hygiene product & brush or comb. At least I don’t. I have a few friends that are new moms tho…AND they complain about needing to bring lots of stuff.

I do like larger bags like hobos & totes sometimes BUT it depends on where I’m going, what I’m wearing & what I need to bring ofc. Clutches are cute too. Totes are more for an outdoor adventure or shopping to gather or store extra items. I love them too…but I end up bringing home more than what I had in the bag when I left.^^

Old 01-10-2022, 12:24 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Cross body bag for me.....to many purse snatchings. When you carry a big bag, you tend to put it down...in a grocery carriage ect. So I only carry credit cards, ins cards, phone and keys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That’s why when I bought the new phone I got a case that allows me to carry three cards.

It’s not just purse snatching here. It almost seems like the people doing the snatchings are intent on harming the person they are snatching from. We’ve had purse snatchings forever. But now they’re pulling on the person to throw the person down on the ground and kicking them. Or punching the woman to get the purse off of her.

I mean what the hell? Most of these women getting attacked are little old ladies.
It’s one of the other reasons why I really don’t carry a lot of cash at all. I carry cash when I get my massage. When I’m not getting my massage, I carry five bucks.
Lately I've been changing my purse routine because of that. If my SO and I are going out somewhere, depending on where we're going or how long we'll be gone, I'll just take my driver's license and have him keep it in his wallet. Sure, they could still steal his wallet but I think a lot of the times they just go for the purse because it's right there and they can grab it and take off. Whenever we go out to eat, we like to sit at outside patios as much as we can, and that seems to be one of the preferred target areas for them.

I've always loved small purses, but lately out of necessity I've been carrying a big one with too many items to list.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:43 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I believe they were stating that they were saving the small business the transaction fee that they would be charged. Not the customer.

That's correct.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:50 PM

7,529 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Crossbody's only for the last 30 years -- I default to the one that looks like a small briefcase...
Wallet - always a rugged leather one (with a certain amount of slots so I can quickly tell if I am missing a card or ID, etc.)
Keys (a big blob of keys -- very hard to lose).
Phone (first i-Phone ever the 13 Pro)
N-95 Masks
Blue Nitrile Gloves
Claritin (allergies)
Allegra (allergies)
Respiclik (asthma)
Book (sometimes)
Glasses (sometimes).

Try to keep it empty because when I come home there is usually mail, paperwork or any manner of stuff in there to be cleared out.

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 01-10-2022 at 09:16 PM..

Old 01-10-2022, 09:02 PM

21,540 posts, read 8,722,464 times
  • Wallet
  • Car key fob
  • iPhone
  • Key ring
  • Coin purse
  • Pocket pack of tissues
  • Lens cleaning cloth
  • Spare hearing aid battery
  • Emery board
  • Nail clippers
  • Beano capsules
  • Sunglasses
  • Folding hair brush
  • Lipstick case
  • Ricola sugarless cough drops (individually wrapped)
  • Reusable shopping bags
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty