Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:26 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times

Advertisements

Today's runway models are nothing more than walking wire maniquins on a steady diet of booze, cigarettes, and cocaine and possibly heroin. It's OK to be thin but not to the point of being skeletal. You could probably see a hairline fracture on those models by only using a flashlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 03:39 PM

737 posts, read 1,649,662 times
I'm almost 50 years old and I've been hearing about the models being to thin since I was a teen and the first time I ever heard it was on tv and the media. And a few friends of mine and their moms also.

Let's face it most are to thin then when they get older and not working as much they lose even more to try and make themselves youthful again. Thin ain't youthful. Fat has alot of medical problems guess what, to thin has medical problems also.

Last edited by Starlady01; 11-15-2009 at 03:55 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 03:43 PM

737 posts, read 1,649,662 times
ok I posted to fast gotta to be like everyone else here.

To: Karl Lagerfield

Your Mama, Your Daddy, Your Grandpa, Your Grandma and your whole dang family.

Not Yours,

ME

He has lost alot of weight tho ain't he?
(Connect to picture and his comment)
-----

I really should hush I do want a Channel bag would love to have a classic flap one day. I may end up with as cheap as I can save for tho. After I get my Cole Haan I just may try to get me a Channel bag. No more after that tho at those prices that is.
----
Yes I can use this picture when demonstrating a point.

Last edited by Starlady01; 11-15-2009 at 04:07 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 04:11 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Oh my...I though he looked creepy thin...he looks even creepier fat.

" Mr.Bond are you ready to die "

I know guys that hate that gym look too. No matter how right you try to be, someone is going to say you look wrong. F-it

Eat a burger or don't and get on with the freakin day.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:49 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't think too many people object to "thin" models. I think what people object to is the trend toward "emaciated" models. There is a difference. And many people have voiced concern for that. Not just a conspiracy of fat women.....
That's true--you look at some of the models from the "supermodel" days of the 80s and 90s. Models like Christie Brinkley or Naomi Campbell or Cindy Crawford were slim, but they were built. They weren't gangly emaciated Eastern European 13-year-olds like the designers are universally using now.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
I pretty much agree with what Lagerfeld is saying. It usually is the fat/overweight women who complain about models. There are a couple of designers who tend to use the emaciated type models for their runway shows, but the overwhelming majority of designers do NOT use these types of unhealthy looking emaciated models. I dont know if anyone else here has the Fashion TV (FTV) as part of their HD plan, but the wife and I have been watching this for a few years. Its about 95% runway designs and I dont think Ive seen but a few models who I would consider to be too skinny.

Sure, Ive learned that a LOT of women who frequent CD are in fact overweight themselves and are super sensitive to any discussion with it comes to weight, but quite frankly, its almost always always always those women who complain about model sizes.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
It always irks me when people say that if you object to the lack of variety and diversity of beauty in the fashion industry, or if you comment on poor body image issues generated by the same, then you must be fat and ugly. Because it would be totally impossible for attractive women to object to such things.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It always irks me when people say that if you object to the lack of variety and diversity of beauty in the fashion industry, or if you comment on poor body image issues generated by the same, then you must be fat and ugly. Because it would be totally impossible for attractive women to object to such things.
You know, it doesnt bother me at all because in almost all instances its true when it comes to issues of weight/size.

I think its pretty much everyone who would complain about too thin/unhealthy/emaciated models. But just regular thin models - no problem except for the jaded jealous self conscious issues having overweight women.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 AM

314 posts, read 1,182,953 times
Love to see a few people here on CD sporting that white creation (seen on left in the OP) of Karls.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I pretty much agree with what Lagerfeld is saying. It usually is the fat/overweight women who complain about models. There are a couple of designers who tend to use the emaciated type models for their runway shows, but the overwhelming majority of designers do NOT use these types of unhealthy looking emaciated models. I dont know if anyone else here has the Fashion TV (FTV) as part of their HD plan, but the wife and I have been watching this for a few years. Its about 95% runway designs and I dont think Ive seen but a few models who I would consider to be too skinny.

Sure, Ive learned that a LOT of women who frequent CD are in fact overweight themselves and are super sensitive to any discussion with it comes to weight, but quite frankly, its almost always always always those women who complain about model sizes.
You know whats TOTALLY strange to me. I have been thin and fat and when I am leaning towards fat, fatter people don't look quite as big. Same is true for the thin version. I find that strange and I have to wonder if these "fat mummies" see things like that but just don't know because they are more locked into once size to percieve things from.

It kinda reminds me of when you go back to some place you were as a kid...Everything seemed so large in memory, but when you get there you really see that it is not so large because you have grown two feet. The first place I noticed it in media was the dove ads and the new slimfast models that are more plus sized. Remember the old slimfast models? Skinny...But not the newest ones...But thats another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty