Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't think too many people object to "thin" models. I think what people object to is the trend toward "emaciated" models. There is a difference. And many people have voiced concern for that. Not just a conspiracy of fat women.....

Agreed and to the poster above I personally to don't agree about the VS models. They are far from "thin" as in skinny. I think this group looks pretty great and healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 12:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I am starting to notice the manorexia trend in men-mostly younger guys. I see it on campus all of the time. Yuck!

I always hear men say they like curves, but there was a time when I was really really thin (5'8, 105 pounds, a size 0 was too big for me), and I got hit on all of the time. Now that I'm healthy at a size 6 (or fat, depending on who you ask, me or my husband LOL)...let's just say I don't turn heads like I used to.

Agree with the poster who said Karl whats-his-face looks like a garden gnome.
Your post presents a good opportunity to add a qualifier. As always, the relativity of perception causes many exceptions and outliers. In your case, you may have carried skinny quite well. Some men like a more petite look. Add a rather "whispy" gait and sweet disposition, then you'll light those men on fire. You probably still had some nice curves, too, even if they weren't so pronounced as to qualify for an explicit descriptor of your beauty. Believe me, men like the skeletal look about as much as you apparently do... yup, yuck!

As we all know, attraction and its initiators/detractors are practically impossible to narrow down and categorize. For example, even in your disgust at manorexia, I'll bet you've seen a really handsome man who carried himself quite well, even though "lanky" may well remain the best adjective to describe his appearance. Odds are his shoulders were wider than his hips and head, and he didn't hunch them over or hang his head. You look at a guy like that and you know that, although he's notably "too skinny", he obviously hasn't done anything horrible to himself to end up that way. To top it off, he looks quite comfortable in his skin (and bones).

All the same, "curves" denotes that no matter the size or body fat ratio of a woman, men like to see hips wider than the waist, along with the gait of a person who is comfy in her skin. She shouldn't look like she could collapse like an unused marionette at any moment. With just a few little instinctive cues in place, all other factors have room to vary substantially. Mostly, you just have to look like you were meant to be the way you are, and you're comfortable in it.

As I'm sure is the case in women's general taste as well, bright eyes and a great smile can work wonders even where certain instinctive cues for attraction aren't quite there. Men may be more physically preoccupied than women, even to a point of comparative emotional shallowness; however, that doesn't mean attitude can't make all the difference in the world, especially as we get into our late 20s/early 30s and realize that our shallow tastes were reason #1 our late teens/early 20s were an emotional and financial nightmare. And we ain't exactly what we used to be, ourselves.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:22 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Agreed and to the poster above I personally to don't agree about the VS models. They are far from "thin" as in skinny. I think this group looks pretty great and healthy.
Well not really by BMI charts. My favorite VS model Miranda Kerr's BMI is about 16-17 which makes her underwt.

Jumpman likes em short and thick because he is on that side.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
I am a big fan of Chanel and Fendi unfortunately.

I think it's sad that he's such a hypocrite. He lost almost 100 pounds a while ago.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:13 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Well not really by BMI charts. My favorite VS model Miranda Kerr's BMI is about 16-17 which makes her underwt.

Jumpman likes em short and thick because he is on that side.
Agree. Adriana Lima is 5'10 and 112 lbs.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:28 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Agree. Adriana Lima is 5'10 and 112 lbs.
Thats gross

Old 11-17-2009, 06:43 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Thats gross
She's considered by many to be one of the most beautiful women in the world...:shrugs:

I think she's hot.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Thats gross
Ha! At 34-24-35 that is hardly gross. She is in my opinion that most beautiful models Victoria's Secret has ever had. Definitely one of the most beautiful women in the world.

adriana lima - Google Images

There are few emaciated runway models and Adriana is FAR FAR FAR from being emaciated. I love to find out the measurements of the women who are complaining about what Lagerfeld said - probably around 40-50-60 instead of Lima's near perfect 34-24-35. BTW, the smoking hot Kim Kardashian is 5' 2.5" and 35-26-40 and 125 pounds.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Yes of course.

Because a woman's validity as a human being is all determed by her measurements.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Yes of course.

Because a woman's validity as a human being is all determed by her measurements.
Im glad you and I agree on this. People here are upset with Lagerfeld for commenting on women's sizes, then these same women come on and comment about women's sizes as well. Unfortunately, in the world of fashion and beauty, employment is obtained based on her measurements. In the real world, that is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty