Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:07 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times

Advertisements

What an out-of-touch moron. I find it sad when someone can live a full life and still come out of it with no deeper perspective than defensive, inflammatory generalizations.

If you ask me (and any pal [and two lesbians] who have ever confided personal tastes to me), to be "sexy" or even "beautiful" has nothing to do with fat or thin. It's all about the curves. Considering what I "want to see" in a woman who puts herself on display, if she had to go to one extreme or the other, too fat is much more pleasing to the eyes than too thin. Too thin just looks insectoid and weak. Too fat can still allow for some nice features and can really be rather cute.

Someone pointed out this guy probably has a major beef with womankind, but I'd assert that fashion designers who make clothes that only fit on waifish women have some sort of grudge against heterosexual men as well. Clothes made only for skinny women are trash (the equivalent to what a fashion designer thinks at the sight of a stained 'wifebeater') to those of us who actually know what we're looking for on a genuine instinctive level rather than a superficial - or vindictive - level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 05:37 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It always irks me when people say that if you object to the lack of variety and diversity of beauty in the fashion industry, or if you comment on poor body image issues generated by the same, then you must be fat and ugly. Because it would be totally impossible for attractive women to object to such things.
Grain of salt my dear. I mean not that I care too much about how people look but from a quick visual stand point matching up Karl Lagerfield's comments with how he looks makes it very easy to be dismissive of his opinion. He's not really all that so who cares if he hates women? I'd say judging from the pics he's got a nasty case of short man syndrome anyway. I object to him more for the kind of human being he is based on his lifestyle choices anyway.

Oh and there will always be those who like to dimish and negate women by throwing around the "you're fat" insult like it's the ultimate crime a woman can commit, being fat and ugly. What kind of person really needs to devalue another human being that way? Nobody I really need to be around. I figure those people who feel the need are probably lacking in their own lives and don't you feel sorry for them? I know I do. I mean it's pretty pathetic that if a person offers an opinion and a well thought out, intelligent point of view that there are 3rd graders who will turn up and negate them with, "well you must be fat and ugly". It's a pretty standard juvenile slight from adults who should know better.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:11 PM

737 posts, read 1,649,199 times
Maybe I should buy a marc jacobs instead of a Chanel

Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
Maybe I should buy a marc jacobs instead of a Chanel
That's the best way to register your disdain at his comments although I'm quite sure he'd equate it with you not being able to find what you like in his size (because of you being fat and him refusing to cater to all those fat size 8 girls ) or something equally stupid like that.

It would be VERY COOL if women lodged their protest at his comments in this way. Perhaps the idea of being a washed up hack might have him managing a little self reflection.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Perhaps the idea of being a washed up hack might have him managing a little self reflection.
Managing that self-reflection over the proverbial tub of ice cream would be the perfect irony.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:41 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
That's the best way to register your disdain at his comments although I'm quite sure he'd equate it with you not being able to find what you like in his size (because of you being fat and him refusing to cater to all those fat size 8 girls ) or something equally stupid like that.

It would be VERY COOL if women lodged their protest at his comments in this way. Perhaps the idea of being a washed up hack might have him managing a little self reflection.
Karl Lagerfeld is not Chanel. Yes he runs the design house now, but Chanel always has been and always will be about Coco Chanel...a fantastic woman imo. He breathed some new life into her designs....but he is not Chanel.

Just like Marc Jacobs designs for Louis Vuitton, but he is not Louis Vuitton.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Managing that self-reflection over the proverbial tub of ice cream would be the perfect irony.
Specially if someone tipped off the paparazzi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Karl Lagerfeld is not Chanel. Yes he runs the design house now, but Chanel always has been and always will be about Coco Chanel...a fantastic woman imo. He breathed some new life into her designs....but he is not Chanel.

Just like Marc Jacobs designs for Louis Vuitton, but he is not Louis Vuitton.
Sorry sophie, I confess my interest in "designer" is limited. I do know that Karl Lagerfeld is not Chanel and I very much admire Coco Chanel her achievements.
The unfortunate thing is that if one wants to lodge a protest or embargo on Karl Lagerfeld that pretty much means not buying Chanel as that is where he derives his income from. NOT that it would impact my life that much. It's not like I'm out buying Chanel every week anyway.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:36 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Wow!! Based on the smack talking going on here, it looks like some of you ladies are waaaaaay worse than Old Mr. Lagerfeld. I think some of YOU should take a look in the mirror. Seriously.

So what!! He says something that he believes to be true, and you guys disagree with him saying how horrible he is to say that, then you turn around and say spiteful and even meaner things about this man you have never met. Pot, meet kettle.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 11-16-2009 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times
This guy is just a beotchy Queen. Why would anyone allow him to diss them? And, as someone earlier said so well, he used to be a huge porker himself. Now he's thin, he thinks he's IT. He isn't.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:49 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
I'm a straight 19 year old boy (clearly not the "fat mummies" demographic), and I am not usually a huge fan of supermodel bodies most of the time either. I think that when most guys say they like supermodel type girls, it's really mostly because of their faces (if we're talking about faces, then yes, those girls are extremely beautiful facially), and since all they see are the airbrushed/photoshopped pics with "inflated" characteristics if you catch my drift. All of those girls in Victoria's Secret catalogs have really nice faces, but their bodies aren't that great in my opinion. The only supermodels whose bodies I really like are Bar something or another (she was on the SI cover recently), and some VS angel from the Netherlands (starts with a D), and surprisingly, I've heard a lot of girls claim that those two are fat/ugly.

I think you'll find that most guys like athletic bodies, not stick figures with breasts. If any of you all know who Allison Stokke is, she has basically the perfect body, and I honestly think that 75% of guys will pick a girl that looks like that over the stick-thin VS models if the face is the same. There are plenty of guys that like really, really slim girls, but I think the majority won't go for that if given the choice.

Now you're probably wondering why I'm commenting on this given that I'm a guy, but I really don't like this tall and lanky look in our society. It's not only affecting women who are self-concious enough as it is, but I've noticed a lot of guys my age are worrying about their weight or their looks now. It's not healthy, and people have to realize that everyone's genetics are different, and the key is to maximize whatever your genes allow. If you are naturally slim, try and go for that leaner look without being a toothpick, and if you're naturally bigger, go for the more muscular/athletic look without looking like a roided out freak, but don't let the media say that only one look is in, because that's not right and it's unhealthy IMO.

/rant.

Jumpman023, you are wise beyond your years! Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty