Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 38,845 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im am seeking relocation advice from you guys. I am a black single parent of 3 very smart, mannerable children. My job is transfering me to Springdale, AR. Currently, I live in a prodominently black high crime city, which I do not partake in. Actually I am a proud busy mother as my children keep me on the go with their school activities. I've been told that Springdale is a GREAT place to live and raise my children. The schools there are wonderful. This excites me the most. However, I am little concerned of any racial issues, if any. Growing up I was told that there were racial issues in Northwest AR, but after visiting areas like Bentonville and Rogers, I loved it there. My ultimate goal for my children is to grow up in a diversified environment. It concerns me if there would be any issues with me being a black single mother living in Springdale. Also, I want my children to feel welcomed and comfortable. This would be a change for them hopefully for the better. Also, are there any after school programs, like The Boys and Girls Club of America. Thanks for your help!

Single Black Mom of 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I think most every state has racist, in fact I know they do, but we have come along way in the past 20 or 30 years. I don't think your boys will have problems as long as they do not look for them. If they are bright, adjust well, are outgoing and you move into a middle class neighborhood the kids will thrive.

Will they come across some jerks? of course, but I don't think you will find the problems in NW Ar that you would find in the truely deep south. Let's hope not. Enjoy your new home and new adventure.

Nita

Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Nita, they are well behaved children. I am very... protective over my children as to who they play with. Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-17-2008, 01:33 AM

395 posts, read 1,363,464 times
I was born and raised in Springdale..only 2 years ago did I move away. Racism is not a problem there IMO. But I will say I have only seen a small handful of Af.Americans there....so you may feel like you stick out, but you won't.It is pretty laid back.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:20 PM

10 posts, read 58,231 times
Hello Bailey33,

Ive lived in every corner of NWA....but Ive always returned to fayetteville...and now to stay. Its great to hear that your very attentive to your children, as I can relate. I know this whole Northwest Arkansas Area quite well. If your career has located you to Springdale I understand you wanting to live nearby your children's school as well.

Ill only comment on Springdale schools as for thier district issues. Maybe you can look it up yourself, or it can be discussed later. But as far as racial issues, you are right about Springdale a long time ago, but now racial problems are not so. As for myself these-days, I have issues being in Springdale for many other reasons.

If you want less to worry about and the better of everything else, move to Fayetteville. If your in the middle of Fayetteville, its only an average of 10-15 minutes of traffic driving to get to work in Springdale. Fayetteville has more of everything than that of most towns in NWA, and without the crimes of Springdale, Rogers, and Bentonville. Also, Fayetteville has the biggest and best Boys and Girls club of America in NWA, as the only other is in Rogers. Click this link, Fayetteville Boys & Girls Club - Home, but those pictures on the front page dont do justice! Thier programs are rediculously abundant! I cant keep up with my kids either. If you want other pictures, let me know, I live nearby. Speaking of nearby, my kids go to the school that is vision distance from the Boys and Girls club you see on that site. The school's name is Owl Creek. I believe other schools in the Fayetteville area provide bus to the club for after school care, Ill ask my daughter later. Im sure Springdale schools have after school care just as Fayetteville does, but Springdale do not bus to the B&G club.

Also, just think about when they grow up. The UofA is right next door to EVERYTHING.

If there is anything else you want to know about the NWA area just ask. Ive got your answers. Or at least a good realistic leads for you to search out for yourself.

Good luck with your career relocation! Have fun!

Other things for you to check out:

Home - The Jones Center for families - The Jones Center for families , which is located on the east side of Springdale.
City of Springdale - Main Site , you guessed it, about Springdale.
Northwest Arkansas Naturals: News, the team is way too new to know, but Springdale has a new ballpark, the Arvest ball park. Very nice, drove by it early today. First game played on this field is very soon! Of coarse we have the Razorbacks if you must watch them...
Northwest Arkansas Mall, and Store Directory (http://www.pinnaclehillspromenade.com/html/storedirectory.asp - broken link) - both malls are a short drive away. (the Pinnacle-Promenade mall's website is kinda puny for its ambience! Wow, I expected more detail than that!)

Ok, its obvious I can bore you with local details, Ill let you ask further questions... Have a good day!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-18-2008 at 03:04 AM..

Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 PM

6 posts, read 37,920 times
Bailey 33,

My son attended the afterschool program through the Fayetteville Atheletic club. It is in Fayetteville but they pick up from some of the schools in Springdale. They were also open on many days when the school was closed. He really enjoyed the program. If you would like more info on it feel free to email me.

Lisa

Old 02-18-2008, 07:42 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,634 times
I don't think the racial issues here are what they once were. Due to people from all regions moving to our area I think we have become a much more progressive, open-minded area. I don't know that the african- american population here is very high, but there are tons of ethnic groups represented here.(For the first time this school year in my daughter's class there are only a few white kids) This is at a Fayetteville elementary school.There are plenty of hardworking, independent single parents such as yourself. I am and thrive here. As you have read-crime is pretty much a non issue.As far as after school I only know that Fayetteville schools have after school sites at each school hosted by the Boys and Girls Club. I am sure that Springdale Has an after school program-just don't know the details.I think you and your children will do really well here.Maybe they can teach my kids some manners!Best Wishes

Last edited by NOEM1226; 02-18-2008 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 11:09 PM

Default Thanks so much for your responses

Thank you guys for your responses. I definitely feel more comfortable with the move now. Please provide me with any after school program information that you may have. I greatly appreciate the advice of Fayettevile Schools and the information provided so far. I am currently looking into the Fayetteville area as well for a relocation area. Again, thanks so much for your responses.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:12 PM

10 posts, read 58,231 times
Hi again Bailey33,

I dont know why I didnt give you this earlier. Go to fayar.net and move your pointer on "Schools" on that page. When you do, a pop-out full of Schools shows all of the Fayetteville schools and you click on one. When you get to a school your interested in....or all of the schools, email them asking about the after school programs....or any thing else you need to know.

Once your kids are in one of these schools, you can get additional access of MANY other informative things...such as...being able to check thier grades without waiting for them to bring home thier report!!!! Yeah, NICE eh?!

Owl Creek calls us with a phone recording allerting us when each of our kids need money put into thier lunch account....which can be taken care of via the web.

...theres just alot to tell. But I think youll like it.

(I just looked at Springdale school districts website, they do this too. I do not know of the available Springdale after school programs though.)

Old 01-27-2009, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 11,891 times
we are relocating to springdale and i was wanting to see about t-ball for my son. I have called all over Springdale and no one seems to know who to call about it. Can any one help me on this please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers