Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:02 PM

76 posts, read 174,076 times

Advertisements

We are looking at homes in both of these locations. We want to be in the Bentonville School District so we know that elimates some parts of BV. Can you locals please let me know the difference in living between the two locations? I know about the pools, lakes and parks in BV. What would be the biggest difference for us in moving to either location? We have four children, ages 12, 8, 3,1.

I have read all of the prior posts on Bentonville and please know, that when we move to the area, from out of state, we will be joining you, not trying to impose our old way of living on anyone. We are misplaced midwesterners
Thank you so much for any help!
Kari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athomemom View Post
We are looking at homes in both of these locations. We want to be in the Bentonville School District so we know that elimates some parts of BV. Can you locals please let me know the difference in living between the two locations? I know about the pools, lakes and parks in BV. What would be the biggest difference for us in moving to either location? We have four children, ages 12, 8, 3,1.

I have read all of the prior posts on Bentonville and please know, that when we move to the area, from out of state, we will be joining you, not trying to impose our old way of living on anyone. We are misplaced midwesterners
Thank you so much for any help!
Kari
Kari,

With school age children and wanting the Bentonville school district either town would be fine. Probably Bella Vista will give you that "small town" feeling a little more, but both are great family locations. Bella Vista was originally designed for senior living, the last 5 years things have changed and we see more and more families with young children everywhere. The elementary school is rated very high.

The best advise would be to find a realtor that can help you with your housing needs and advise you as to the pros and cons of both cities. Of course if you decide on Bella Vista you will want to locate on the east side because of the schools.

If you need any more information you can email me directly, I do have some ideas for you.

Nita

Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,328 times
I think Bentonville would be better for kids. Bella Vista is mostly very hilly which is not good for playing ball or riding a bike.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 AM

99 posts, read 301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Bella Vista is mostly very hilly which is not good for playing ball or riding a bike.
Haha what? Hilarious, I love it

Old 06-04-2010, 01:10 AM

99 posts, read 301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Kari,

With school age children and wanting the Bentonville school district either town would be fine. Probably Bella Vista will give you that "small town" feeling a little more, but both are great family locations. Bella Vista was originally designed for senior living, the last 5 years things have changed and we see more and more families with young children everywhere. The elementary school is rated very high.

The best advise would be to find a realtor that can help you with your housing needs and advise you as to the pros and cons of both cities. Of course if you decide on Bella Vista you will want to locate on the east side because of the schools.

If you need any more information you can email me directly, I do have some ideas for you.

Nita
1. Bentonville is an extremely small town - you can drive thru it in 5-10 minutes, if that
2. Bella Vista hardly resembles a town - bare essentials are primarily next door in Bentonville
3. The family feel will be more apparent in Bentonville by far but Bella Vista is adjusting rapidly (still a ways to go in my opinion). It's hard for the kids in the neighborhood to play together when the majority of the neighborhoods are set up with the houses so far apart to where you can only see 1-2 neighbors at a time (speaking of the majority of the scene here)
4. Bella Vista began transitioning from a senior living development about 15 years ago, not 5. Development is slow, especially compared to the insane progression of Rogers and Bentonville. Let's face it, EVERYTHING moves slower in Bella Vista. This can be a huge pro or con. I've never witnessed so many drivers using their breaks going uphill in my life.
5. I'm sure the elementary school is excellent considering the community in Bella Vista. They will then transition to the Bentonville system and no they won't be outcasts because they live in Bella Vista. It's a growing minority for sure.
6. I'm not sure a realtor would have too much more insight than talking to a few people, but I would recommend just taking a drive thru each city since they cover such small land areas. You'll get a feel real quick since they are very different towns with basically the same people living in each (hope that makes sense)

Also, you can always consider Centerton or some other surrounding town that caters to the Bentonville School District

Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 AM

697 posts, read 1,775,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingVote08 View Post
1. Bentonville is an extremely small town - you can drive thru it in 5-10 minutes, if that
2. Bella Vista hardly resembles a town - bare essentials are primarily next door in Bentonville
3. The family feel will be more apparent in Bentonville by far but Bella Vista is adjusting rapidly (still a ways to go in my opinion). It's hard for the kids in the neighborhood to play together when the majority of the neighborhoods are set up with the houses so far apart to where you can only see 1-2 neighbors at a time (speaking of the majority of the scene here)
4. Bella Vista began transitioning from a senior living development about 15 years ago, not 5. Development is slow, especially compared to the insane progression of Rogers and Bentonville. Let's face it, EVERYTHING moves slower in Bella Vista. This can be a huge pro or con. I've never witnessed so many drivers using their breaks going uphill in my life.
5. I'm sure the elementary school is excellent considering the community in Bella Vista. They will then transition to the Bentonville system and no they won't be outcasts because they live in Bella Vista. It's a growing minority for sure.
6. I'm not sure a realtor would have too much more insight than talking to a few people, but I would recommend just taking a drive thru each city since they cover such small land areas. You'll get a feel real quick since they are very different towns with basically the same people living in each (hope that makes sense)

Also, you can always consider Centerton or some other surrounding town that caters to the Bentonville School District
33,000 people doesn't really qualify as "extremely small", but Bentonville is certainly not large. I suppose you could go through it in 5-10 minutes on 540, but you can go through Fayetteville or Springdale in 10 minutes on 540, so I'm not sure that point has any real bearing. You are certainly correct that Bella Vista is missing many things you'd expect in a city of 25,000 people, but you have to keep in mind it's only actually been a city for four years. Prior to that it was a large unincorporated "village" which contributed to most large scale businesses not locating there, or not being able to locate along 71 (the only main artery through town) due to space constraints or the association running the town discouraging it. The Wal-Mart for the Bella Vista area is actually across the state line in Missouri, they do have a Walgreens and Lowe's and such, but it is definitely short on shopping and restaurants compared to Bentonville. Bella Vista is certainly pretty, you have the bluffs, golf courses, parks, etc. and the kids might like that while they're young. Bella Vista certainly does feel slower paced than any other city in NWA that I can think of, largely due to it's original retirement community focus and a majority of the population being retired people that want to relax and take things a bit slower. Bentonville feels more like a generic small city, but has a nice little downtown, and soon will have the most impressive American Art museum in the country just off the edge of downtown. I've also heard nice things about Bentonville's parks and trails system.

SwingVote is right, you just need to visit and drive around each town a bit to get a feel for it. I don't think you'd be unhappy raising a family in either city, but the atmospheres are a bit different.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I think Bentonville would be better for kids. Bella Vista is mostly very hilly which is not good for playing ball or riding a bike.
This isn't quite true, especially the east side. There are many level streets and lots of level lots. Either town will have both, flat and hilly neighborhoods. I think you are referring more to the main streets like Lancshire, 279, Kingsland and Glasgow. Infact we live on the west side (the Highlands) and almost all of our neighborhoods have normal lots and regular flat streets. There are some, that are hilly, but most are not.

Nita

Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingVote08 View Post

Part of what you are saying I agree with, part I do not. The closest to acturate and still funny: the using breaks going up the hills. Both hubby and I remark about this all the time, especially him..

As for the small city or town atmosphere, both areas are great, that is why I mentioned that, but when I said Bella Vista I wasn't referring to the actual city itself, but the feeling people who live here have about the surrounding area. Bentonville and Rogers are just one big burb in my estimation. I am not saying this in a negative way, by anymeans.

As for the tranistion, yes, of course it started more than 5 years ago, but gained recognition about 5 or so years ago when the elementary school started to become a reality. Of course it is only 3 years old as is the city take or give a little..i guess the city is 4 years old now.

The sub divisions on the east side, in many cases are set up like any others throughout the USA but with larger lots. Even in our neighborhood, where there are vacant lots between most homes the kids seem to play together most of the time. We aren't talking huge 2 acre lots, with nothing but vacant land like in the country.

I agree about Centerton. It is growing, country feeling and still close to Bentonville. I think whatever the Op is looking for, she will find in any of these communities, each is different, but all offer the feeling of rural life with city amenities.

Talking to people on threads like this is a great way to start researching and learning how others feel. That is exactly what we did before we started hunting for a place to settle and after we had narrowed our choices down to a few places, but I was so happy to find a realtor that knew the area and was very objective about what was the best for us.

Nita

Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 PM

76 posts, read 174,076 times
Thank you everyone. Our plan is to visit and drive through both areas when my husband has his job interview. I just want to get as much info in advance as possible so that we can make the best use of our time. Thanks! I can't wait to visit!

Old 06-04-2010, 08:33 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This isn't quite true, especially the east side. There are many level streets and lots of level lots. Either town will have both, flat and hilly neighborhoods. I think you are referring more to the main streets like Lancshire, 279, Kingsland and Glasgow. Infact we live on the west side (the Highlands) and almost all of our neighborhoods have normal lots and regular flat streets. There are some, that are hilly, but most are not.

Nita
I said mostly. Bella Vista is indeed built on very rough and rocky ground which is why that land is not currently being used for agriculture, but someone still found a way to make money on that rough land by building a retirement community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers