Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:29 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Kinkaid's name doesn't come to mind in any way when there is a discussion of art.
Yeah. And I wonder what the reason is. Too 'mass market'? Maybe not-so-good art? Simply an art 'marketer'? I am always curious as to how some artists go in and out of fashion. For exmaple, with Rockwell. I'd say he's getting a new appreciation with the art world today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 08:57 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I think he was as we understand the word 'artist' but I'd wonder if criticism of him would have been the same if he did not say 'market' himself so much to the public at large. Kind of ironic in that an artist's popularity really indubitably rates high in that 'mass' market. Things is it looks like in the profession of 'ART', it's a no-no to deliberately go out there by 'advertising' and actively canvassing for sales.
Well, if being a master marketer means you aren't an artist, then Chihuly and Warhol aren't.
I think Kincaid was an artist, like a Disney illustrator is an artist, but he was not innovative or original.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 AM

I thought of one...Frank Stella.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah. And I wonder what the reason is. Too 'mass market'? Maybe not-so-good art? Simply an art 'marketer'? I am always curious as to how some artists go in and out of fashion. For exmaple, with Rockwell. I'd say he's getting a new appreciation with the art world today.
If you see Rockwell's original paintings, you can see he was a masterful artist.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mother really liked his stuff and so we bought my parents one for their anniversary years ago. It's still in my mom's house, and I really do like the picture. It's a road or path leading into a flowered woods.
You know what? Art is supposed to resonate with the people who view it. If Kincaid evokes a warm, fuzzy feeling, then that is better than all the more sophisticated art that people hang on their walls which doesn't mean anything to them.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:24 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,223 times
Quote:
If you see Rockwell's original paintings, you can see he was a masterful artist
Agree! Question is why are some late to the party where he's acknowledged to be that kind of artist.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:43 AM

47 posts, read 64,100 times
A Living Artist who deserves more recognition than he is getting is Marius Markowski. Also Anna Razumovskaya, and Andrew Atroshenko. Love all three of them especially Markowski.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:57 AM

20 posts, read 29,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I recently heard the question, "can you name a living painter?" on the radio or TV.
Put like that...George Rix springs to mind!!!

Old 12-19-2013, 01:55 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Yes he is. A very recent sale of his original painting Saying Grace, originally painted for a Saturday Evening Post cover, brought $46 million at auction. This is also the highest price ever achieved for an American artist.

Granted, this painting was one of Rockwell's very best works, and is still as emotionally powerful as when it was first published.

Saying Grace - Norman Rockwell - WikiPaintings.org

Rockwell was both an excellent draftsman and painter. He was widely recognized as the most painterly illustrator of his time, and all of his later work- after his first 25 years of successful illustration, became increasingly nudging the fine line between fine art and illustration. Only the last few years of his life, as he fell victim to old age and Alzheimer's, did his painting quality decline.

Rockwell's subjects as the 1950s progressed grew increasingly more emotional in content. While some were humorous, others left the viewer with deeper feelings.
This is one of my favorites:
Norman Rockwell - WikiPaintings.org

It is both very well painted and a very powerful social statement.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times
I can name Carolyn Blish because we knew her....she had a show at our art gallery many years ago.

She's still quite good, I think:

Carolyn Blish - The Official Carolyn Blish Website - Carolyn Blish Art Prints
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts