Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:05 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,161 times

Advertisements

Well I agree with everyone-I wanted to move back to Denver but a funny thing happened....I went to PA (Pittsburgh) for a funeral and I loved it-I met so many nice people. So once me and the other half came back...well we are considering moving...we are both college educated, professionals and it was nice seeing office buildings that didn't have "for lease" signs in the front, being able to jog at dusk, having people tell me "oh our company can't find enough people." Florida has nice beaches and lots of sunshine but for people that need to work-Florida is not the state to be in.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Well I agree with everyone-I wanted to move back to Denver but a funny thing happened....I went to PA (Pittsburgh) for a funeral and I loved it-I met so many nice people. So once me and the other half came back...well we are considering moving...we are both college educated, professionals and it was nice seeing office buildings that didn't have "for lease" signs in the front, being able to jog at dusk, having people tell me "oh our company can't find enough people." Florida has nice beaches and lots of sunshine but for people that need to work-Florida is not the state to be in.

Pittsburgh was a huge steel town and has lost more jobs in the last 30 years then any town in Florida by a long shot.

Being from Ohio and you being from Denver and knowing Denver, Pittsburgh and Florida I surely would not pick Pittsburgh as a town to move to.

I would move back to Denver or somewhere in the Carolinas long before Pittsburgh.

Did you drive around Pittsburgh and see all the empty factories that are caving in? Not a pretty site to see at all. When the steel jobs left the town has suffered a ton from it.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:11 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Pittsburgh was a huge steel town and has lost more jobs in the last 30 years then any town in Florida by a long shot.

Being from Ohio and you being from Denver and knowing Denver, Pittsburgh and Florida I surely would not pick Pittsburgh as a town to move to.

I would move back to Denver or somewhere in the Carolinas long before Pittsburgh.

Did you drive around Pittsburgh and see all the empty factories that are caving in? Not a pretty site to see at all. When the steel jobs left the town has suffered a ton from it.
Have you been to pittsburgh in the last decade? It's has undergone a nice renaissance. I love FL and all, but as far as rust-belt cities go, I would say that, outside of Chicago, Pitt is the best city around. It beats Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo etc. Plenty of neat places to hang out, an educated, professional population thanks to the world-class hospital system (UPMC is a top 20 hospital in the country) and great universities (Carnagie Mellon and U Pitt).

Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,714 times
Folks, it would probably be good to get back on the topic, which is "Anyone relocate to Fl and regret it years later?

Thanks, Frank

Old 10-01-2010, 07:24 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I went to PA (Pittsburgh) for a funeral and I loved it-I met so many nice people.
Pittsburgh is a great urban city with so much to offer. Best of luck on your move, you will not regret it.

Best Cities for Starter Homes - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 10-01-2010, 08:37 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Pittsburgh is a great urban city with so much to offer. Best of luck on your move, you will not regret it.

Best Cities for Starter Homes - Yahoo! Real Estate
Thanks we will see...we are both going to go up again for a visit to see what opportunities we can find-

Old 10-01-2010, 10:43 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,714 times
folks, back to topic.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:56 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,049 times
For me regret is not the right word but I do wish I lived somewhere else. I can see where for some people they enjoy living here.
Some parts of FL like the city I am in are over priced for homes plus the HOA. In general I don't feel as safe. The people seem less friendly. The summers are long but I knew that when I moved here. I would rather deal with FL summers then long winters. Though I dislike the bugs and other that come with the humidity and heat.
As of now I am not moving. In a perfect world I would but that is not the case. I also know for me there are worse places to live.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Ya, this is what I have been told too, I just don't see it???? It's all in the eye of the beholder, well, my beholding eye see Florida as NOT paradise. just another state with hot sticky, nasty summers for 7-8 months.
Now is when it starts to get nice. I'll take 90+ and sunny over 10 degrees, dark and snowy any day of the week. That was the biggest problem I had with upstate NY. turns dark at 4 PM in the dead of winter, and the wind chill would hit you straight to the bone.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:16 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Now is when it starts to get nice. I'll take 90+ and sunny over 10 degrees, dark and snowy any day of the week. That was the biggest problem I had with upstate NY. turns dark at 4 PM in the dead of winter, and the wind chill would hit you straight to the bone.
This is when it gets nice, I am less of a whiner... But the summer here is like hell winters up north for me. I have MS, and it makes me feel like total crap when it is hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida