Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 PM

228 posts, read 537,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Ken E, no matter what a thread is written about for people who do NOT like it, you will always get the same people on here arguing their point we are wrong because they love it here, and they are basically cheerleaders for Florida. I have been on here for a few years, and it NEVER changes.... They cannot resist a good arguement to where people who do not like it are wrong, and everything is "happy rainbows and unicorns" in FL. It never goes over the actual temperature here, which is I guess 80 degrees? There is no such thing as a heat index. It's hotter up north far longer than a FL summer. All a big heaping pile of..... A lot of times I try to ignore it, but sometimes I can't, like now...
Sorry chris I can't resist.....

No cheerleader here though, I personally wish at least half the people (transplants) would leave FL and go back "home". Over the years during the housing boom, the caliber of people moving here has been less than desirable, making FL what it is today, melting pot of _________ (insert your own word here, I'm not sure what to call it)
Regarding weather, it is what it is and not going to change, been this way for years. The "complainers" vs. "cheerleaders" debate will never end, however I find it ironic most of the complainers are transplants that didn't know what a FL summer, spring, fall, or winter was like. Lack of research I suppose...

Old 09-21-2010, 05:23 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,778,187 times
I found out over the weekend that I live in one of the crappiest parts of FL which makes me a "complainer" because it sucks here in SWFL. I went to Orlando for the weekend and it was a heck of a lot better weatherwise than here. Big difference. If for some reason I don't go all the way back to MA in March, I AM going north of Sarasota. I don't want to live in Orlando, no thanks, been there, done that. It sure was nice to get away from SWFL though...

Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post

No cheerleader here though, I personally wish at least half the people (transplants) would leave FL and go back "home". Over the years during the housing boom, the caliber of people moving here has been less than desirable, making FL what it is today, melting pot of _________ (insert your own word here, I'm not sure what to call it)
Regarding weather, it is what it is and not going to change, been this way for years. The "complainers" vs. "cheerleaders" debate will never end, however I find it ironic most of the complainers are transplants that didn't know what a FL summer, spring, fall, or winter was like. Lack of research I suppose...
Are you putting me in that melting pot!???!!!????!!!! I hope not. I am a FL veteran of 16 years going on 17....

Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,128,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I found out over the weekend that I live in one of the crappiest parts of FL which makes me a "complainer" because it sucks here in SWFL. I went to Orlando for the weekend and it was a heck of a lot better weatherwise than here. Big difference. If for some reason I don't go all the way back to MA in March, I AM going north of Sarasota. I don't want to live in Orlando, no thanks, been there, done that. It sure was nice to get away from SWFL though...

When looking into which part of Florida to move to we had thought of Ft. Lauderdale.... until I looked into how hot, humid and expensive it is to live there. That scratched that area off pretty quickly. Glad you found a place in Florida that is much more livable for yourself, I hope you make it there or to MA someday.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:13 AM

335 posts, read 939,653 times
Quote:

We did plenty of research and visited in the hottest months. It turns out that enduring the long summers year after year is not for me. It is hard to appreciate how hot it can get until you live it. My parents are still here and have no plans to move, they love it. I have no regrets at all but it is time for me to move on after eight years.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 AM

275 posts, read 793,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just around the corner
The photo says it all.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 AM

275 posts, read 793,644 times
Well, I've been in FL for the most part of the past 30+ years. The funny thing is that I never came down to FL because of the weather. The biggest reason I came down here is that I was offered a two-year job assignment from my first post-college employer. This was the late '70s when NYC was on the brink of financial collapse. The infrastructure and overall quality of life in NYC at that time left a lot to be desired and I was ready for a change. Well, one thing lead to another and I ended up getting married, raising a family, and having a long-term career down here. After working at a company more that 10 years, it becomes counterproductive to start over somewhere else. I realized that the only way I was ever going to escape FL and go back up north was when my kids were grown and I was ready for retirement.

I'm just about ready to pull the corporate plug in the next year or so. Since I will not be needing employment to survive, I can afford to move to a place I would love to live in rather than I place I have to live in. Although upstate NY doesn't make it to many "Best Places to Retire" lists, I actually find that to be a good thing. We go up to NY at least twice a year and I truly never run out of things to do up there. There's not an area of NYS that I find unappealing.

I was never a beach bum. Never liked to fish, water ski or sit out in the sun. So most of the activities that bring people down to FL do not appeal to me. And, I truly feel like a prisioner for about 7-8 months of the year because of the heat/humidity. I truly abhor what the developers and politicians have done to FL over the past 30 years. I guess in my case, better late than never. Life's too short to not follow your dream.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:47 AM

398 posts, read 729,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
Well, I've been in FL for the most part of the past 30+ years. The funny thing is that I never came down to FL because of the weather. The biggest reason I came down here is that I was offered a two-year job assignment from my first post-college employer. This was the late '70s when NYC was on the brink of financial collapse. The infrastructure and overall quality of life in NYC at that time left a lot to be desired and I was ready for a change. Well, one thing lead to another and I ended up getting married, raising a family, and having a long-term career down here. After working at a company more that 10 years, it becomes counterproductive to start over somewhere else. I realized that the only way I was ever going to escape FL and go back up north was when my kids were grown and I was ready for retirement.

I'm just about ready to pull the corporate plug in the next year or so. Since I will not be needing employment to survive, I can afford to move to a place I would love to live in rather than I place I have to live in. Although upstate NY doesn't make it to many "Best Places to Retire" lists, I actually find that to be a good thing. We go up to NY at least twice a year and I truly never run out of things to do up there. There's not an area of NYS that I find unappealing.

I was never a beach bum. Never liked to fish, water ski or sit out in the sun. So most of the activities that bring people down to FL do not appeal to me. And, I truly feel like a prisioner for about 7-8 months of the year because of the heat/humidity. I truly abhor what the developers and politicians have done to FL over the past 30 years. I guess in my case, better late than never. Life's too short to not follow your dream.

Amen!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post

X2!!! +1,000,000

Developers and yes politicians, have pretty much destroyed Florida. When I came here in the early 90's it was great. This is by far a VERY different state than it was even back 16-17 years ago.

"I was never a beach bum. Never liked to fish, water ski or sit out in the sun. So most of the activities that bring people down to FL do not appeal to me. And, I truly feel like a prisioner for about 7-8 months of the year because of the heat/humidity."

That is me also, 100%.... I like biking, but in the middle of summer here for 4 months, mainly June, July, August, And September, I don't even want to, too miserable out there. Looking forward to the cold fronts, and the change of season next month to Spring...

Old 09-26-2010, 03:32 PM

485 posts, read 1,704,517 times
Quote:

Why don't YOU leave if you don't like the "caliber" of people living in FL, then??? For some reason my original comment was cut by some moderator person which isn't fair because the above post is beyond derogatory. Intelligent people don't clump all of a state's transplants into a negative category. I'm sure many of the transplants here are more sophisticated than the FL natives. If someone deletes my comment then they should delete this guy's as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida