Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It actually can get worse in upstate NY. At least a few weeks in June, July, and part of august, the summer heatwaves in syracuse would make the temps higher than many parts of FL.

But you see an end to it. And it does get over a 100 here with the heat index.

Sorry, after living in CA with more moderate temps and lower humidity, I don't consider FL weather to be pleasant most of the year.

The winters are nice and similar to CA, but too hot for my taste most of the year.

And before anyone comments why did you move here, it had to with family reasons.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Ken E, no matter what a thread is written about for people who do NOT like it, you will always get the same people on here arguing their point we are wrong because they love it here, and they are basically cheerleaders for Florida. I have been on here for a few years, and it NEVER changes.... They cannot resist a good arguement to where people who do not like it are wrong, and everything is "happy rainbows and unicorns" in FL. It never goes over the actual temperature here, which is I guess 80 degrees? There is no such thing as a heat index. It's hotter up north far longer than a FL summer. All a big heaping pile of..... A lot of times I try to ignore it, but sometimes I can't, like now...

Well some of them have a hidden agenda. They're in real estate or build houses.

Lived in Oregon for two years, I will go on their boards and tell people don't move there without a job and yes it rains in the winter. People don't argue.

On the FL boards yet get as you say "cheerleaders" waving people to come on down. You will be fine on two months savings....LOL.

Just had that chat on another thread, a young couple want to move here with no jobs and limited savings, and some people think that is smart?????

I feel like saying can they stay with you when they run out of money?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:44 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,372,321 times
We've lived here for 5 years, some of them were great, some not so great, but we are moving back to New England. The winter weather here in FL is phenomenal but there's more to life than weather. It's time to bring my heart back home. We will be snowbirds, using Florida for what it was meant for, then hightailing it out of here like the rest of them when the thermometer creeps up.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
While I'm generally happy here, I do get annoyed at how far we are from any big city. You can't comfortably day trip to anywhere. New Orleans is 3.5+ hours away, Tampa/Orlando/Atlanta are all about a six hour drive. We really are quite isolated up here, and while we generally have everything we need for a day to day basis, it would be nice to not have to make visiting a really good zoo, museum, or seeing a pro sports game a full weekend trip, and I'd love to have a Costco closer than Birmingham, Alabama.

No plans to move though. We're financially comfortable, can generally amuse ourselves well enough, and the spousal unit has tenure in a field where jobs are currently scarce. While there are things I don't like about the area, the pluses are still greater than the minuses for us.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 14,141 times
I moved down to FL last year after a divorce. I was born and raised here and moved from FL to the NE when I was in my early twenties. I have family here, but after being gone so long, it just is not the same and FL is not the same. I miss the NE, but cannot afford to move back to NE at this time. I need to get an education and get on my feet - I am looking to moving to northern FL - a little closer to seasons, a little easier to travel to NE for visits and a few less people than Hillsborough, Pinellas Counties. Any feedback for those in Gainesville, Lake City or Jacksonville areas? Those areas have colleges I could attend.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:05 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,250,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
We've lived here for 5 years, some of them were great, some not so great, but we are moving back to New England. The winter weather here in FL is phenomenal but there's more to life than weather. It's time to bring my heart back home. We will be snowbirds, using Florida for what it was meant for, then hightailing it out of here like the rest of them when the thermometer creeps up.
Congratulations, Thats awsome. After 9+ years in Florida we've come to the same conclusion. Had a lot of fun here, but it's time to go home. I also believe that there's a whole lot more to life than warmer weather. We were very lucky to be able to come to Florida during the "good" years and be able to do what a lot of people wait until retirement to do. Now that i have all that retirement type stuff done i can go back to N.H. and finish living.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:27 AM

32 posts, read 98,440 times
Quote:
I feel like saying can they stay with you when they run out of money?

Are these adults over the age of 18? Are you (or any of the rest of us) their keeper? If an adult is going to make a decision, good or bad - all we can do is give advice, whether they take that advice is up to them. Ramming it down their throats may just bring out the stubborn streak in people.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:34 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,372,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Congratulations, Thats awsome. After 9+ years in Florida we've come to the same conclusion. Had a lot of fun here, but it's time to go home. I also believe that there's a whole lot more to life than warmer weather. We were very lucky to be able to come to Florida during the "good" years and be able to do what a lot of people wait until retirement to do. Now that i have all that retirement type stuff done i can go back to N.H. and finish living.
Perfectly said. It's time to finish living. There's places to go, good food to eat, friends to be made, family to hug, and if I have to wear a jacket while doing it then so be it. I'm palm-treed out.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,779,238 times
Been palm treed out since 1995, it wore off after 6 months.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,599,036 times
A lot of northern transplants who lived up north for a extended time soon seem to get homesick, I hear it all the time. Although I have some similar feelings and have no family here, there are things I don't miss like the brutal winters and the associated wardrobe that goes along with it.

A lot of people leave here then go back then after the magic weaves itself around start missing the things they can't get up there. It's a trade-off, choose your poison as Utopia is in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida