Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:13 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
CHUCKLES AND LIES this is you from 2005 when you lived in Florida ipoetry

How did Florida get in this mess ?

What mess? I love it here. We bought a house a few years ago and it's appreciating nicely. We're good.
(sigh) and here I go again, explaining myself because your hobby apparently is following me around these boards trying to discredit me.

We contracted on our house in January of 04 and moved there in May of 05. Fifteen months between purchase date and move-in date. What? Am I off a few months? You DO need to get a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 AM

378 posts, read 830,275 times
Florida's economy is more boom and bust than most states, probably because of reliance on real estate and tourism. The bust is over in FL and the next boom is shaping up. Employment? Working for someone in FL probably means lower pay, but owning that business or self employment probably means making more that in other states.

Home prices, worse is past, prices will be going up for the next 5-7 years until the next bust.

(http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/11/2584747/florida-brokers-sunnier-than-most.html - broken link)

Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Some people are only qualified for 3rd world wages, yet they want to make $20/hour to answer phones.

Blame FloriDUH though, right?
You're missing the point, people who have gotten laid off in FL who were making good money get a max of $275 a week in UE benefits, one of the lowest in the nation.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
[quote=seain dublin;22523276....snip...... max of $275 a week in UE benefits, one of the lowest in the nation.[/quote]

Yeah, and?

Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're missing the point, people who have gotten laid off in FL who were making good money get a max of $275 a week in UE benefits, one of the lowest in the nation.

UE is not supposed to substitute for a new job. If "noodles" is complaining about social workers getting laid off (who will, on average, make 30-40k/year in government social work), then 275/week is about half what they would take home if they were working.

It's a safety net, not a way of life. Enough "99 weekers" around as it is.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
(sigh) and here I go again, explaining myself because your hobby apparently is following me around these boards trying to discredit me.

We contracted on our house in January of 04 and moved there in May of 05. Fifteen months between purchase date and move-in date. What? Am I off a few months? You DO need to get a life.
No one had to stalk you to know that you got down to Florida and immediately regretted it. You then tried to sell but changed your tune on the boards, cheerleading Florida at every turn and lashing out at anyone that disagreed or pointed out that you were actually trying to escape. You did this for YEARS as "Vero Beach." No need to stalk, your posts really stood out.

It's one thing to love, hate or be somewhere in the middle about Florida. It is another to purposely lie for monetary gain. To come back and taunt is amazing and then to accuse someone of stalking is far beyond the pale.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:19 PM

87 posts, read 210,602 times
As a librarian, retiree and avid reader of all those "best places" my perception is that the driving force behind the lists is guess? Sell Magazines! You put a cover on that attracts your segment of population that might want to read an article like this and you sell at the news stand price, bring in more subscriptions from the magazine inserts, up the revenue on ad placement, and obtain free publicity from many radio and TV shows, as well as from people like us who spread the news.

For me, many of these articles are just fun to read and dream about that perfect little town where "the men are strong,the women beautiful and the kids all above average." Only in Garrison Keelers Lake Woebegone.

Maybe the most fun is picking at the article since many of us know more than the reporter about the towns and other places being rated. As many pointed out it is a good idea to cross check on the choices in any list claiming to have discovered nirvana.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:11 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
UE is not supposed to substitute for a new job. If "noodles" is complaining about social workers getting laid off (who will, on average, make 30-40k/year in government social work), then 275/week is about half what they would take home if they were working.

It's a safety net, not a way of life. Enough "99 weekers" around as it is.
The problem with that is for people who make double and more of those $30/$40K social workers. they will be getting that same UE of $275 a week. What percentage of THEIR salaries is that $275/week?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:41 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
Florida has serious problems with almost everything. Water, money,education, transportation, and crime.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreeableone View Post
As a librarian, retiree and avid reader of all those "best places" my perception is that the driving force behind the lists is guess? Sell Magazines! You put a cover on that attracts your segment of population that might want to read an article like this and you sell at the news stand price, bring in more subscriptions from the magazine inserts, up the revenue on ad placement, and obtain free publicity from many radio and TV shows, as well as from people like us who spread the news.

For me, many of these articles are just fun to read and dream about that perfect little town where "the men are strong,the women beautiful and the kids all above average." Only in Garrison Keelers Lake Woebegone.

Maybe the most fun is picking at the article since many of us know more than the reporter about the towns and other places being rated. As many pointed out it is a good idea to cross check on the choices in any list claiming to have discovered nirvana.
Exactly. I like to tell the story of how I was moving out of Southwest Florida in 2005 and came across one of those "best" articles that had the area at the top for jobs. The truth was most of the jobs were low-paying service jobs or construction jobs that were about to go bust.

For almost every city you can find a list - good and bad - for it. In fact, I wrote a blog post about Knoxville being put on "cleanest" and "dirtiest" lists within a day of each other. Hint: neither list had anything to do with the cleanliness of a city.

The days when Sperling's would annually put out their "Best Places" book and folks' would eagerly buy it up went away a long time ago. Most people have become suspicious of such lists.

What I'd love to know is why the OP, a PA real estate agent, doesn't EVER frequent the PA forums and assist folks but spends lots of time on the Florida forum posting list info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida