Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 12,941 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am new to these forums and this is my first post. My family (husband and 1 year old son) are relocating to FL. We are currently in the process of listing our home and we have narrowed down our search to 3 different areas of FL, Wesley Chapel, Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda & Ft Myers area (suburbs).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Realtor that services these areas? I tried just randomly reaching out to someone and it didn't work out. We are relocating from PA and this is the first time with a move like this so we really need someone knowledgeable, reliable and trustworthy.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on neighborhoods? We are looking for something in the 180-200k price range with the following:

-Small town feel
-Screened in pool
-Property with space meaning the houses aren't right on top of each other or pools butting against one another in the back. I want neighbors just want a bit of space too.
-Amenities nearby - grocery, shopping, daycare etc,
-Family friendly (ie. good schools, low crime, parks etc.)

If I am missing an important detail let me know. I am hoping some recommendations from the folks here will be helpful in our search.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM

8 posts, read 12,941 times
No one interested in schooling a newbie? ��

Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,793,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl1977 View Post
Hi!

I am new to these forums and this is my first post. My family (husband and 1 year old son) are relocating to FL. We are currently in the process of listing our home and we have narrowed down our search to 3 different areas of FL, Wesley Chapel, Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda & Ft Myers area (suburbs).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Realtor that services these areas? I tried just randomly reaching out to someone and it didn't work out. We are relocating from PA and this is the first time with a move like this so we really need someone knowledgeable, reliable and trustworthy.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on neighborhoods? We are looking for something in the 180-200k price range with the following:

-Small town feel
-Screened in pool
-Property with space meaning the houses aren't right on top of each other or pools butting against one another in the back. I want neighbors just want a bit of space too.

If I am missing an important detail let me know. I am hoping some recommendations from the folks here will be helpful in our search.

Thanks!!!
I think you can find something in any of those areas that meet your criteria. I suggest posting in the respective subforums to get folks more familiar with the specific area.

People are going to ask about your employment status so I would mention that upfront.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:55 AM

198 posts, read 464,704 times
I can't help you with your search as I am in the same situation but looking in Brevard County. My experience of the last 6 weeks started out dismally as most agents just would not reply. Now I think I have an agent and we will see how it goes. I do suggest you find a home inspector with great reviews and ask them which real estate agents are the best in the areas you are looking. I have hired a home inspector to go with me when looking at homes because , let's face it, I do not know anything about homes in Florida and the issues I may not know about that can affect a Florida home.
He also recommended two agents and I researched them online and with the state board to get an idea of who they are. Also, because he is not beholden to the state law prohibiting RE agents to tell me if an area is "safe", I was able to give him addresses of homes I saw online and want to see and he was able to tell me if I should avoid some of them because of sketchy areas.
It was like I finally found a way around the issue of knowing if I should be looking at a certain home, but my RE agent could not tell me if I would like the area. I would hate to come down for 4 days to buy a home and waste time looking at homes that I would never buy because of a high crime/traffic/ noisy area issues.
I hope someone can directly help you with either a Realtor recommendation from their personal experience in the areas you are looking. I will be going down in March and can let you know how my "rent an inspector" for the day works out. Just PM me!

Good Luck!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
A bit of advice to the OP. Once you figure out which area you're planning to look in, go on Trulia and look at their Q&A section which has realtors in your area who have volunteered to assist and are obviously willing to go the extra mile to help. Contact one of them and you will surely not want for assistance. Good luck!

http://www.trulia.com/voices/qa/Port_Charlotte---30219

Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,003,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtallison View Post
I can't help you with your search as I am in the same situation but looking in Brevard County. My experience of the last 6 weeks started out dismally as most agents just would not reply. Now I think I have an agent and we will see how it goes. I do suggest you find a home inspector with great reviews and ask them which real estate agents are the best in the areas you are looking. I have hired a home inspector to go with me when looking at homes because , let's face it, I do not know anything about homes in Florida and the issues I may not know about that can affect a Florida home.
He also recommended two agents and I researched them online and with the state board to get an idea of who they are. Also, because he is not beholden to the state law prohibiting RE agents to tell me if an area is "safe", I was able to give him addresses of homes I saw online and want to see and he was able to tell me if I should avoid some of them because of sketchy areas.
It was like I finally found a way around the issue of knowing if I should be looking at a certain home, but my RE agent could not tell me if I would like the area. I would hate to come down for 4 days to buy a home and waste time looking at homes that I would never buy because of a high crime/traffic/ noisy area issues.
I hope someone can directly help you with either a Realtor recommendation from their personal experience in the areas you are looking. I will be going down in March and can let you know how my "rent an inspector" for the day works out. Just PM me!

Good Luck!
You're going to buy a home after 4 days of looking?... I have to say that's not a lot of time...

Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 AM

11 posts, read 43,228 times
we bought a condo after 1 day of looking But I did months of research before we went to Florida We knew we wanted the gulf coast so that narrowed it down We have traveled all over Florida so we had a idea about where we wanted to buy Then we we looked where our budget could afford We settled on Cape Coral It was hit and miss with agents We were working with 1 agent for about a month but he kept steering us to areas we didn't want and he was trying to sell us property we knew we couldn't afford I finally contacted a GREAT agent at Caldwell Bankers in Cape Coral I don't know if I'm allowed to say her name

Deb

Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
You're going to buy a home after 4 days of looking?... I have to say that's not a lot of time...
I appreciate your concern. I have spent hours everyday online looking at homes, neighborhoods, crime sites and speaking to my relatives who live there as well. My plan is to narrow down the number of homes by the criteria that suits us.
After visiting homes during the day I will be driving around the neighborhoods at night to see what's happening.
When one comes from out of state, it is a bit more difficult to buy a home, but hopefully with all of my pre buying research and recommendations from my relatives and professionals in the area, we should be able to buy a home in 4 days.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
A bit of advice to the OP. Once you figure out which area you're planning to look in, go on Trulia and look at their Q&A section which has realtors in your area who have volunteered to assist and are obviously willing to go the extra mile to help. Contact one of them and you will surely not want for assistance. Good luck!

Port Charlotte - Real Estate Questions & Answers - Trulia Voices
Kyle, I have always loved your advice on this forum. I will say that I was on Trulia weeks ago and there were agents on there that advertise their services so I sent my inquiry to the 3 listed there. I was amazed that not one of them replied so I had to resort to other means to find an agent.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,500,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl1977 View Post
Hi!

-Small town feel
-Screened in pool

Thanks!!!
In Punta Gorda you may want to look in the Burnt Store Meadow neighborhood based on your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida