Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:01 PM

90 posts, read 352,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
I couldn't have said it better!!! I'm sick of people trashing our state. If you don't like it, leave. We're glad you're gone because it's one less complainer and moaner to deal with! I hope you enjoy your cold, snowy winter while we are basking in the sunshine on the beach!
If your sick of all the people trashing your state, doesnt that tell you there is a problem. I didnt like it and I did leave and I didnt need narrow minded people like you to tell me to do it. I just needed people like you living around me to make me decide to do it. Enjoy your sunshine. I will enjoy my low cost of living, nice people, cheaper gas, cheaper homes, insurance and hurricane-less summers.

I know that sunshine isnt worth all that too me. You can keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 09:12 PM

90 posts, read 352,968 times
Still have doubts? Read the Time Magazine article about your paradise:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...561128,00.html

Old 12-14-2006, 09:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Please don't take the bubble money from Miami and overpay for your homes elsewhere. Be a good sunbird and show that those of us leaving Florida are the good guys. This way we can make room for the corrupt dirtbags to live in south Florida and be in the path of the next big wind. As long as they don't follow you to your new homes the good life will last.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Thumbs up no reason to stay just to pay inflated rates-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
What the heck is happening to America? Everybody is trying to do the state hop song & dance in hopes of finding affordability. It seems like everywhere has gotten too expensive for the average middle class family. I moved from NY to Florida to GA. How many times do we have to relocate just to survive? I think it's ridiculous and not to get political, but something has to give. What happened to the American dream?
The American Dream - here's a start-No $500.00 per month electric bills. With TVA my electric is $60.00, and I live in a city, with a few acres. My property tax is 1/10 of what it was in So Florida. That's a good start!. I am not living to pay off banks and utility companies.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:14 AM

15 posts, read 43,957 times
Default Homes prices have gone down,but

Well we have seen home prices go down but it is still not enough to help those with lower paying jobs. Our family has lived here for thirty years. My parents own their home but want to retire but with their property taxes being $5,000 a year and insurance $3000 they need to work. $700 a month is a lot of money for those on a fixed income, just for taxes and insurance. And their taxes are based on their home they purchased before the big real estate boom. A $200,000 condo will have condo fees, taxes and insurance so I do not think that is cheap for the wage we earn here. My home was purchased before the boom too and I thought it was alot of money. Now with taxes and insurance going up, it is getting bad.Also its gone down hill here. As a 30 year resident, i have seen the changes here. Alot more crime and bad neighborhoods have sprouted recently.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:26 AM

523 posts, read 2,830,147 times
I love Florida, will never leave, no where is going to be better, or warmer.
I hope you all find what you are looking for, one week of vacation in cold I am ready to come home. I have been here 40 yrs, own a home now for 15mos, struggled to live here. but will never leave.
There is no paradise anywhere, look at your situation go where you have to.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 PM

90 posts, read 297,226 times
I've been here my whole life also and with the rising costs, we're ready to leave. We have nothing left over anymore....can't even save a penny because everything's going up, up, up......everything except our pay that is. Florida is nice, but it's not this nice. Give me a small house in Tennessee and I will be a happy camper.
My Dad, who has also been here his whole life and is ready to retire, also has to keep working because of hte rising costs......sad world when your seniors have to work until the day they die.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Well, I'm not reading through all 15 pages here because I assume it's a lot of the same over and over comments.
My question is.... if you can't afford to live in Florida and are moving to find cheaper housing, cheaper utilities, more land, less traffic, less crime, etc.,
if you have to work in the new place, how do find a job? Take any job or move only after you have a job? Will the salary there allow you to live any better off? If cost of living is so much lower, won't the salaries also be so much lower so you're really just back in the same boat and therefore will be just as miserable there as you were here?

Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
We will probably never even get to enjoy living in FL which was a dream of ours. We did find a great place in AZ and since you all are used to the heat, come on over. You can google www.vistancia.com or if you are over 55, www.trilogy.com. Our airconditioning bill last summer was around $200 the highest. Heat bill is nothing. Peoria has to be one of the cleanest cities we found in our search. We have a 2,064 sq. ft home, new build and the insurance is $2,100 a year, homeowners, $500 a year. We have met a few floridians here. In Vistancia, we have many builders building homes so you don't have the same old look everywhere. We have a millionairs row with its own private golf course and award winning clubhouse/ restaurant right up the street. Across from us is Trilogy's golf course and restuarant which we use frequently. We have lit/ paved walking trails, 3 pools, tennis and a gym and our HOA fee is only a whopping $75 a month. You would all be most welcome.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I too am leaving Florida for the reasons you mentioned. Even if I had the money to stay in Florida, why would I? The costs arent worth it and I can live a much better life elsewhere.
That exactly IS the reason for us to move away, ASAP. My husband and I COULD stay and keep on paying those inflated prices, but, we are not WILLING to do that anymore. Good luck to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida