Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times

Advertisements

That is an interesting premium. I just got a quote from Progressive on a 2012 Ford, Edge Sport, using a Miami, FL 33179 address as follows:

Coverages Limits Premium
12 FORD
EDGE SPORT
Bodily Injury $100,000 Each Person / $300,000 Each Accident
Property Damage $100,000 Each Accident
Personal Injury Protection $10,000 Each Person
Medical Payments $1,000 Each Person
Uninsured Motorist - Non Stacked $100,000 Each Person / $300,000 Each Accident
Comprehensive 250 Ded/
Collision 250 Ded/
Rental Reimbursement $30 Per Day / $900 Maximum

Fees/Surcharges: FHCF Emergency Assessment
Total Policy Premium $3,051.16 ANNUALLY
Discounts: Continuous Insurance Discount; Five-Year Accident Free discount; Three-Year
Safe Driving discount; Paperless Discount; Anti-Lock Brakes(1); Passive
Restraint (1); Anti-Theft (1)

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
We were paying 5869.00 a year for car insurance with clean driving records so the 8000 dollars wouldnt be much savings especially for a family or person who has driving age children...its pretty much a blanket statement..I pay for the same 3 cars with our son here in Charlotte 2850 a year...Quiet Significant from South Florida the biggest difference is the State Tax here NC loves to tax everything....than opposed to Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 PM

155 posts, read 349,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah, sure. And Ohio is just GREAT. A cosmopolitan atmosphere that just SCREAMS culture and high sophistication.

Actually, yes it does. Beats the snot out of Jersey.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:19 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,702,808 times
I am a born and raised Floridian and I cannot say that I disagree. I'm from Miami and now love in Tampa, lived in the Keys and North Fl. Too. Yep. Boring. Miami is the only saving grace so all that you said is pretty spot on.
There's only 1 perk, no state tax. That's it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
I will start off saying that 8 years ago I moved from New York, to Bradenton Fl. I was/am a transplant like many of people moving here. It was attractive, cheap, by the water, tropical. Well, let's just say, it wasn't what it was cracked up to be. Here is why.
1- Florida has some interesting people. But not in the way you would think. What I mean is that we don't exactly have all the smart people in the world. You can see it all over. You have that idiot George Zimmerman, who keeps getting in to trouble. Then you get the people who are so smart, they fly the flag of the Confederates, next to the American flag. Geniuses. Rick Scott, the guy who ripped of seniors for a living, had a huge fraud scandal, becomes the govennor, in a state full to the brim with retirees. But then he cuts college funds, cuts school funds, but then due to public back lack, restores some of it, and becomes the "Education govennor".
2- Most of Florida is boring. Sarasota the so called cultural capital of Florida because of what exactly? A few art colleges, some museums, and one decent theater? Come on. Tampa is snoresville, and Orlando has some theme parks. Super exciting! Miami, the saving grace for the state, in this regard.
3-We have a lousy education system. It is not only poorley funded, but now it will continue to have the FCAT, because the PARCC, was had too much "Federal intrusion". Not only are our graduation rates low, our SAT scores are low, our ACT scores are low, and county school budgets are low. Yes Edweek says we are like 6th, but that is one measure. Might I point out that it gives us an A for jobs, and economy.
4-Jobs don't really pay well. While we don't have an income tax, we have a sunshine tax. Middle of the road COL, but lower than average pay and there aren't that many jobs either.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:20 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,702,808 times
Quote:
That is one of the greatest thing about Florida especially during the holiday times when the weather is just perfect and a beautiful Sunset!!
This is true

Old 11-02-2013, 07:14 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
Quote:
We were paying 5869.00 a year for car insurance with clean driving records so the 8000 dollars wouldnt be much savings especially for a family or person who has driving age children...its pretty much a blanket statement..I pay for the same 3 cars with our son here in Charlotte 2850 a year...Quiet Significant from South Florida the biggest difference is the State Tax here NC loves to tax everything....than opposed to Florida
And NC state income tax for a married couple making $50,000 is about $3000 which is about what you are claiming the difference in insurance is.

Personally I pay less than your NC insurance and I also have 3 cars, 2 different policies, one just under $1200/yr and the other for 2 cars a little over $1400

Old 11-02-2013, 07:25 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
For such a terrible place, it's interesting to note that there are about 19,300,000 residents here and only about 18% are over 65. We have two of the top ten cities that people are moving to in the country, according to Forbes. We are 6th in the country for population increase and it's also interesting to note that there are more people coming in from other states than leaving for other states. It's not perfect but it's certainly not the wreck some would have you believe and, had we not gone through the crash and painfully slow recovery, our population would be even higher. The humidity still sucks, though.

List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
U.S. population growth flat; N.D. fastest growing state
Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes
American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Old 11-02-2013, 07:44 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
For such a terrible place, it's interesting to note that there are about 19,300,000 residents here and only about 18% are over 65. We have two of the top ten cities that people are moving to in the country, according to Forbes. We are 6th in the country for population increase and it's also interesting to note that there are more people coming in from other states than leaving for other states. It's not perfect but it's certainly not the wreck some would have you believe and, had we not gone through the crash and painfully slow recovery, our population would be even higher. The humidity still sucks, though.

List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yup. Predictions are that we will overtake N.Y.in population by the next census

Old 11-02-2013, 07:52 AM

I believe that those who feel FL is such a lousy place meet certain criteria.
1. No particular job skills.
2. Education in skills that are not in high demand here.
3. People from large cities who can't deal with the slower pace of life.
4. People from places where it is cold and who dont care for the warm weather.
5. People who would not be happy no matter where they lived who obviously didnt like where they were and came to FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post

Old 11-02-2013, 07:55 AM

My brother in Pembroke Pines pays $900 a year for full coverage on a 2012 vehicle. He does not have a 16 year old though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Car insurance is going up, one of my co-workers added his 16 year old daughter on his policy, brand new Honda Civic, he got quotes from several places, highest was $10K/year for 3 cars in a group policy. I think he was able to get it down tot $8K/year, but has the legal limits and not much coverage.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,599,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
My brother in Pembroke Pines pays $900 a year for full coverage on a 2012 vehicle. He does not have a 16 year old though.
Seems awfully low, I would like to see actual coverage because the averages seem to fall around $100-150 month if not more...

Lowest you can get is if you have a older car and drop most of the coverage, no collision or deductible probably in the $60-75 range. A lot of factors, zip code, credit score and if you own a home and have a group policy. My co-worker had everything under a group policy and was with the same company for 15 years, did not make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida