Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:52 AM

253 posts, read 378,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

It seems as though Earth Fare is the loser so far in regard to the three "Whole Foods alternatives" that have expanded into Florida, which are Lucky's, Sprouts, and Earth Fare. At least in Orlando. Lucky's is the winner in my opinion. It seems like all of the Lucky's in Orlando are hovering between 4 and 5 stars on Yelp while Sprouts and Earth Fare are hovering between 3 and 4 starts, with Earth Fare receiving some harsh reviews.

The big Publix in SODO Orlando has always been a zoo regardless of new competition in the area. Super Target and Walmart Market have opened up nearby in the past decade and, at least anecdotally, haven't impacted them much. Then there's the local Freshfields Farm (meat and produce), which is also a madhouse on the weekends and thankfully still appears to be doing well. Lucky's opened right next door in January or so and is always packed the handful of times I've been there. However, I've been to the new Earth Fare in the area twice on a SUNDAY afternoon and it's dead in comparison to Lucky's and the big Publix. It's next to the main campus of a hospital and auxiliary medical buildings/offices, so maybe weekday lunchtime and post-work rush are their peaks. While I'm sure Earth Fare is fine for purchasing items to cook, I've been let down by the prepared items I've bought there. I've forced myself to settle for something there because I didn't feel like going anywhere else lol. They do have the best selection of whole bean coffee in the area and even matching or exceeding Whole Foods, a huge bulk spice selection (which is foolishly placed in the personal care and supplements area instead of next to the SPICE aisle), and they will run specials on grass-finished beef at the same price as grain-finished beef at the other stores. I hope they do well.
I have never been to an EarthFare in the Orlando area. I tend to go to the one in Ocala. There aren't a lot of healthy grocery chains there, so there is little choice. I never liked Winn-Dixie (and then they all closed). I like Aldi because they have good prices and higher standards but still can't do ALL of my shopping there. I don't like to give money to Walmart but it is sometimes unavoidable. I would KILL for a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes to give me some more options. I am not a health food nut but I do like to eat healthier food than the stuff that can be found in most regular grocery stores. I will have to remember to try Earth Fare's coffee. I don't drink it but I've been ordering coffee beans for him online in Florida. In NY, I source them from a couple of local roasters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 03:50 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Aldi is pretty decent. They have longer lines but they move quicker because the cashier moves the buggy out of the way and you do your own bagging. Their stores are basic and cut to the bone which is cool. I reckon this is how more grocery stores were in the olden days? I do know that bag boys were standard, while Publix is the only who still provides that. Winn Dixies used to be decent before 2001, but after they went bankrupt, they had to shut down a bunch of stores and they went downhill overall.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:32 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Winn Dixies used to be decent before 2001, but after they went bankrupt, they had to shut down a bunch of stores and they went downhill overall.
Except that many of the stores were totally remodeled after they emerged from Chapter 11 protection, and those stores are better than ever for WD.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:12 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I remember when Winn Dixie was a really nice store. All the ones I have seen now are just ghetto, and as expensive as Publix. I don't know how they stay in business.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:07 PM

6,417 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Winn Dixie went bankrupt in 2005 and was acquired by Bi-Lo in 2011. In 2018, Bi-Lo, now named Southeastern Grocers went bankrupt. In February 2019, Southeastern Grocers announced plans to close 22 locations in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. This round of closures included 7 Winn-Dixie locations.
They are being squeezed by Publix, Walmart, Aldi and others. The one near here is more expensive and not nearly as nice as the Publix, which has 3 locations in a 4.3 mile radius of where we live. never shop there and even the meat was not that great.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:43 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwood Golf View Post
Sorry the damage done to the rep of Winn Dixie is too severe for them to be truly competitive now.
Agreed. I worked for them during the 2005 bankruptcy as a manager and they had a decent shot at recovery then but blew it in my opinion. They didn't innovate their business model as a bare bones grocery store, which Publix was doing already with better service, cleaner stores, more consistency, and sometimes even lower prices. Then they focused on price only and disregarded poor store conditions which then only served to reinforce the perception of Winn-Dirty.

It's a shame because for a long time the Winn-Dixie brand was just as well known as Publix. They were neck and neck for total number of stores when I first started with them, and they also had "international" stores in the Bahamas. There were multiple references to the company in classic southern pop culture movies like Fried Green Tomatoes, and Sweet Home Alabama. There was even a movie, where the titular character was a stray dog named Winn-Dixie, because of the location she was found in.

Had they emerged from the initial bankruptcy with a plan, I think they could have turned it around. Unfortunately the then CEO Peter Lynch, who was the WD Messiah, bailed for his bonus, and the company failed to make any significant changes and the company has since been hemorrhaging cash.

There are select locations, like the one in Longwood on 434 and Rangeline, which are pretty good and comparable to your run of the mill Publix. I still choose to shop at WD sometimes. I like their more quintessentially southern bakery/deli offerings better than Publix's. But therein lies the problem, Winn-Dixie's best is only as good as Publix's.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 06-15-2019 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-15-2019, 07:18 AM

9 posts, read 7,519 times
I don't understand or get this phony zeal for Wegmans, hell, they don't HAVE stores here in Florida and they have no plans to enter Florida's market. Publix would slaughter them.. Publix is NOW making enroads in Weggie's backyard and doing very well in VA, NC, SC, especially Georgia-north, central TN/Nashville, East TN, and even in Birmingham-south suburbs. Forget Weggies, you need Weggies? move back to PA for godsake.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:51 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackerBacker View Post
I don't understand or get this phony zeal for Wegmans, hell, they don't HAVE stores here in Florida and they have no plans to enter Florida's market. Publix would slaughter them.. Publix is NOW making enroads in Weggie's backyard and doing very well in VA, NC, SC, especially Georgia-north, central TN/Nashville, East TN, and even in Birmingham-south suburbs. Forget Weggies, you need Weggies? move back to PA for godsake.
"Ride the Wave" has a new name?

Old 06-15-2019, 02:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Agreed. I worked for them during the 2005 bankruptcy as a manager and they had a decent shot at recovery then but blew it in my opinion. They didn't innovate their business model as a bare bones grocery store, which Publix was doing already with better service, cleaner stores, more consistency, and sometimes even lower prices. Then they focused on price only and disregarded poor store conditions which then only served to reinforce the perception of Winn-Dirty.

It's a shame because for a long time the Winn-Dixie brand was just as well known as Publix. They were neck and neck for total number of stores when I first started with them, and they also had "international" stores in the Bahamas. There were multiple references to the company in classic southern pop culture movies like Fried Green Tomatoes, and Sweet Home Alabama. There was even a movie, where the titular character was a stray dog named Winn-Dixie, because of the location she was found in.

Had they emerged from the initial bankruptcy with a plan, I think they could have turned it around. Unfortunately the then CEO Peter Lynch, who was the WD Messiah, bailed for his bonus, and the company failed to make any significant changes and the company has since been hemorrhaging cash.

There are select locations, like the one in Longwood on 434 and Rangeline, which are pretty good and comparable to your run of the mill Publix. I still choose to shop at WD sometimes. I like their more quintessentially southern bakery/deli offerings better than Publix's. But therein lies the problem, Winn-Dixie's best is only as good as Publix's.
I think a lot of it was people just wanting something new and different, especially in northern Florida where Publix was largely unknown 20 years ago. Publix was perceived as ‘new’, while Winn-Dixie was ‘old’.

Eventually the new will wear off of Publix though, and something else will come along to replace them. It could be a decade from now, or three decades from now, but eventually it will happen. Same will eventually happen to Walmart too.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think a lot of it was people just wanting something new and different, especially in northern Florida where Publix was largely unknown 20 years ago. Publix was perceived as ‘new’, while Winn-Dixie was ‘old’.

Eventually the new will wear off of Publix though, and something else will come along to replace them. It could be a decade from now, or three decades from now, but eventually it will happen. Same will eventually happen to Walmart too.

That's true. The person whose company will topple Amazon, Walmart, Target, and/or Kroger could be in high school or college right now.

I saw that the three Safeway stores in Florida had raving reviews on Yelp and Google. I walked the Altamonte Springs store when it was Albertson's, and despite the dated decor, the produce looked good and they had good meat specials. It was an even better looking store when they renovated and changed to the Safeway banner. Some have wondered if the Safeway stores were really that good or if Floridians were just happy to have something different. Safeway apparently doesn't get that much love closer to its home base. But then I heard that they were basically giving the store away with all kinds of sales and such.

I think that is playing a role in Lucky's doing so well here. It's just different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida