Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
People complain about the heat and humidity in FL. Here in DFW, it was already in the 90s with 90% humidity. Today, just west of DFW, the high will be 104 in Wichita Falls.

As I tell my kids, qittcherbitchin.
I remember visiting New Orleans in June a number of years ago. At the time the weather was hot, and humid, and unlike Miami ( or at least where we lived in Miami) there was not one iota of a breeze to at least mitigate the heat and humidity. I remember thinking at the time that I didn't think it was possible to find a place hotter than Florida in the summer, but there it was, right there in NOLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Where I live - St. Johns County - is a variant on this theme. Everyone wants to move here because our schools are supposed to be great (mostly a matter of white middle class English speaking demographics as opposed to anything else IMO) - and we have low taxes (in terms of Florida). But when those of us who live here say like their kids will go to school in trailers if too many people move here for the schools - the taxes will have to go up - etc. - people go .

Also - most of the west developments here (ancient in south Florida - relatively new here) - advertise 5 miles away from the beach. Without mentioning that we don't have much public beach access.

Of course - we get all the other stuff stuff too. Don't want heat - humidity - bugs - critters - hurricane threats. A lot of brokers here still peddle this part of Florida as immune from hurricanes (very misguided IMO - our local papers have given a lot of play to Hurricane Dora - 50th anniversary this year). Robyn

Old 06-05-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I remember visiting New Orleans in June a number of years ago. At the time the weather was hot, and humid, and unlike Miami ( or at least where we lived in Miami) there was not one iota of a breeze to at least mitigate the heat and humidity. I remember thinking at the time that I didn't think it was possible to find a place hotter than Florida in the summer, but there it was, right there in NOLA.
Hotter than Florida in the summer? Try Phoenix. I don't care if the humidity is 15% - 115 degrees is 115 degrees. It's the only place I've ever gotten sick as a result of the heat. Robyn

Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
I went to Las Vegas, in July. The dry heat sucked the water right out of me.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM

995 posts, read 3,930,448 times
Here's a fun trivia.

Q: What Buffalo (NY), Honolulu and Miami (FL) have in common?

A: Never broke 100 degrees in history.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:30 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Hotter than Florida in the summer? Try Phoenix. I don't care if the humidity is 15% - 115 degrees is 115 degrees. It's the only place I've ever gotten sick as a result of the heat. Robyn
I'm sure- that dryness would suck the moisture right out of you, and you'd feel as though you were in an oven, instead of a sauna.

It'd be nosebleed alley for me.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I went to Las Vegas, in July. The dry heat sucked the water right out of me.
One thing those of us in Florida aren't used to is desert heat. You can get heat sickness without sweating at all (your sweat evaporates instantly) there. In Florida - sweating a lot is usually a sign to take it easy. And it's usually I feel ok - I don't feel so good - I feel bad - I'm finished. In a place like Phoenix - you can go ok to finished quicker than you can eat breakfast. Robyn

P.S. I met only the second person I know from Spring Hill the other day (in addition to you). A college student working at a local golf course this summer.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:33 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
One thing those of us in Florida aren't used to is desert heat. You can get heat sickness without sweating at all (your sweat evaporates instantly) there. In Florida - sweating a lot is usually a sign to take it easy. And it's usually I feel ok - I don't feel so good - I feel bad - I'm finished. In a place like Phoenix - you can go ok to finished quicker than you can eat breakfast. Robyn

P.S. I met only the second person I know from Spring Hill the other day (in addition to you). A college student working at a local golf course this summer.
yes, that sums it up. Good to heat exhaustion quick.

There are 100k Spring Hill folks. The odds are going to get better of running into one. :-)

Old 06-05-2014, 05:42 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
Here's a fun trivia.

Q: What Buffalo (NY), Honolulu and Miami (FL) have in common?

A: Never broke 100 degrees in history.
Hmmm learn somethung every day. So we in Central Florida can now say it gets hotter up here than in Miami. I know we have hit 102 a few times since I have lived here in Brevard county.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,215 times
Default still scaring the yankee hordes away.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm sure- that dryness would suck the moisture right out of you, and you'd feel as though you were in an oven, instead of a sauna.

It'd be nosebleed alley for me.
Yeah, but it's a dry nosebleed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
yes, that sums it up. Good to heat exhaustion quick.

There are 100k Spring Hill folks. The odds are going to get better of running into one. :-)

Not if they hibernate all summer in air-conditioned refuges.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida