Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you vote on The Florida Medical Marijuana Amendment
I am for it. 47 72.31%
I am against it. 14 21.54%
Undecided at this time. 4 6.15%
Don't care. 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:08 PM

3,336 posts, read 2,140,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
BillS111 and NeonGecko - Amendment 2 has no effect on the federal government. Doctors could be arrested and sued under FEDERAL LAW regardless of anything in Florida state law.

It's touching that you think all doctors are honest and well meaning, but most adults have figured out that a percentage will do anything for a buck. Under Florida state law, they won't be subject to any constraints on their behavior.

Every crooked pill mill doctor loves Amendment 2, but I bet not even one doctor at the reputable places - Mayo Clinic, Shands hospital, etc. - will be providing 'physician certifications.'
I've grown much more skeptical about people in general since moving here. After all, this state either leads or is among national leaders of ID theft, tax fraud, mortgage fraud, healthcare fraud, auto accident fraud, uninsured motorists, political corruption, per capita incarcerated, transients, illegal immigrants, low HS graduation rates, wages, poverty, and sex offenders (to name a "few" categories).

Old 10-23-2014, 07:57 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
I voted yes on 2 because I realize the more we create this system of dependency on pills the more people will die and not truly get the relief they need.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:14 AM

32 posts, read 50,802 times
this bill is the same as what i have read that the grower to get a license has to be in the farming biz for 30 years? this i do not like..

i vote yes as i am disabled and it helps me a lot

Old 10-30-2014, 06:00 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,898,550 times
I hope that people will get out and vote. It means absolutely nothing to have a majority vote on a City-Data poll, you need to actually vote in our real elections for your opinion to count. If you feel that doctors and patients should be making the decisions about a patient's medical treatment, that marijuana is far less dangerous than a huge number of Rxs currently allowed for seriously ill patients while also being more effective than most of them for pain and other symptoms, and that our economy could benefit while lessening Florida's dependence on pain pills and on the prison system for minor infractions of the medically ill population, then VOTE IN REAL LIFE! Take the power and money out of drug dealer's hands. We need a minimum 60% in favor to pass, since it is an amendment - polls are showing us as right at the line, with some predicting it will not pass, and some predicting it will.

If you don't put your vote where your mouth is (or your fingers in the case of this forum), then people like me who suffer from a serious disease with no approved treatments yet discovered will still have to suffer for years without even one thing to try for the hope of a little less pain and maybe some better sleep. I'm not willing to break the law, and all I want is the chance to try some of the CBD tincture which does not involve smoking, and does not have the ability to get anyone high, to see if it works for me, so I can feel better and hopefully be more productive as a result. This law is far more strict than many passed in other states, with far less protection for the patient than those have. So people's fears around marijuana mania are really unfounded, as are all the worries about changing the laws. We let Ambien and Codeine and Oxycontin be legal, and Florida is still standing - and those are far worse and more addicting than marijuana has been proven to be. This will not harm us, and has potential to help a great many people who are suffering every single day right now. For those of us who need medical treatment options, every single day makes a difference.

Get out and VOTE!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:14 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
There's talks that it's never gonna pass and the people will vote against it. Several organizations have said the whole medical marijuana thing is over. They lost....never gonna pass..

Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,898,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
There's talks that it's never gonna pass and the people will vote against it. Several organizations have said the whole medical marijuana thing is over. They lost....never gonna pass..
Polls mean nothing. They have been wrong many times before. Even on this very issue, they declared it a definite win a few months ago - and now they have done an about face and say the opposite. They don't really know what is going on in this state - they just like to get readers for their ad-covered online articles.

If people get out and vote, the PEOPLE will decide the election, not pundits, bloggers, or random polls that do not ever call me or anyone I know. Besides, the world has changed, as evidenced by another thread on this forum - how many people nowadays will actually pick up the phone for an unfamiliar number and take the time to answer a survey? A large percentage of younger people are already blocked out of the polling simply because we use call screening on cell phones, unlike an older population that often just picks up a landline whenever it rings, and may answer a question by a stranger simply because it is asked out of politeness. The younger generation will not necessarily have had a chance to be a part of a poll in the first place. Of course, the younger generation is more prone to supporting the measure, and is also prone to not voting in large numbers in FL. So we'll see. But it is silly to call any election before it happens - especially in this state, where votes sometimes can be counted for weeks after because controversial votes can be so close...

----
Here is a quote from an article about how a survey "called it" on Amendment 2 already. What tripe - they only asked 861 "likely" voters by phone call, and 50% said yes, while 42% said no, with 8% undecided. That is a massive potential margin of error, given that these are people they targeted who pick up the phone for strange numbers, the majority said they would vote YES, and all we need is 60%. It is ridiculous to "call it" on an issue that close, based on those methods and that kind of sampling, when only 42% said they would vote NO. Swing voters have decided this state for a long time, and they will continue to. We never know for sure here in FL until the last minute.
----
"It’s looking like Florida won’t pass its medical marijuana initiative in November, according to a new poll from Gravis Marketing.
The results of a random phone survey of 861 likely voters in Florida show that Amendment 2 doesn’t stand the best chances of passing with the needed 60 percent approval.
“50 percent of the Florida voters stated they would vote yes on the amendment while 42 percent stated they’d vote no,” the poll’s recap reads. 'With only eight days remaining until the election, a powerful eight percent of undecided voters might hold the key to whether or not this ballot initiative passes or fails to receive the mandatory 60 percent support needed to make a change to the State of Florida’s constitution.' "

----
How incredibly stupid to make that call based on this kind of "evidence." Again, they just want hits to their websites - this is not news, nor definitive in any manner.

Last edited by StarfishKey; 10-30-2014 at 08:29 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 08:39 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
There is a significant difference between a 'law' and a 'constitutional amendment' such as is proposed here. This is a really bad idea, since the amendment doesn't lend itself to change, except by another vote, yet, contains no provisions for regulating who sells, buys or profits --- or anything else. Anecdotal stories from people who have tried marijuana, yet not been affected ... do not cancel-out the devastating effects on the millions for whom it undeniably served as a 'gateway drug.'

According to a major Florida Sheriff's department, the amendment was written by a lawyer in Ch. Christ's campaign ... as a ploy to get young voters out to vote.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:50 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Generally, I am for no laws regarding marijuana that don't exist against tomatoes but am really leaning toward a no vote on this, partly because of what jghorton just wrote about it being in the form of an amendment.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:52 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Generally, I am for no laws regarding marijuana that don't exist against tomatoes but am really leaning toward a no vote on this, partly because of what jghorton just wrote about it being in the form of an amendment.
Don't be swayed by someone who has not really thought even though it does not contain everything it needs. The legislature would be responsible for regulating it more so it become more clear. Please think about all the relief older folks or kids would be getting if it passes. Why believe law enforcement who stands to profit from weed possessions and fill our prisons to the brim from minor offenses.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:18 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
I had hoped it would pass, but it will miss by a long shot, according to the polls. I have major spinal issues, which have also been complicated by failed surgery. The condition worsens, spreads and the chronic pain gets so bad that there is always a point in the day where I just think about what a sweet relief death would be. I would be willing to try anything in order to lessen the pain. Someone needs to know what severe chronic pain feels like and then know they will have it until the day they die to understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida