Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of FL if you could?
Yes 74 47.44%
No 82 52.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 11:54 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I would, and would like to eventually. I'm not sure where I would go. I think about going back to New England but the long winters got me the first time. From spring to autumn I think its heaven up there. But I guess so does everyone else! Naples is so expensive and looking at a first home $300,000 doesn't get you much of anything, a condo or a short sale maybe. Then I look at the Carolinas and its a mini McMansion for half the price. My sister loves Charlotte but I like being near the beach. When I think of the Carolinas I just think hick south. I like the fact that even though I live so far south really with all the transplants its more north. I can't stand the bible belt-ish ultra conserative christian type people you can find in some of those middle states. I may go postal if I had to be near them. Until then we are just kind of hanging out. Hubby is in the last stretch of his Finance degree so maybe we will see where that takes us.
I sometimes wonder if the 'birds of a feather' sorting needs to be taken to the neighbourhood level, like looking at political signs in a neighbourhood you are thinking of moving to around election time before you decide to move there.

I have thought about moving to Massachusetts. A beautiful state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:15 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
I had a chance earlier this year for a job offer. Didn't do it/take it.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:20 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
^^yea? which state?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:55 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,658,422 times
For a lot of people, living in Florida feels like wearing a pair of shoes that just doesn't fit right. This is how I felt when I lived there after a few years, and there are plenty of other posters on C-D and in the real world who share a similar sentiment.

Florida, along with Arizona and Nevada, is what I like to call a "revolving door" state -- people are constantly coming and going, moving in and out. It's definitely one of the most transient states in the entire nation and has been for nearly a century now.

You would think that, by this point in the state's history, it would be less transient and shallow-rooted, but that's not the case because Florida continues to attract and is home to many groups of people who don't usually have intentions of living in the rest of their lives in Florida, such as:

1. Retirees from northern states who move down in their late 50's or 60's, but then move back up North in their late 70's or 80's to be closer to their families/support systems when they get too old and infirm to care for themselves

2. Career-oriented, upwardly mobile college graduates seeking more and better professional opportunities as well as more competitive wages

3. Mostly white natives and long-time residents who feel as though they're being pushed out-of-state by all of the new arrivals from the Northeast, Caribbean, and South America and searching for a more "white-bread" existence, primarily in other Southern states or out West

4. Working-class transplants from all of the country who are lured to Florida by sunshine, palm trees, and beaches and end up working a dead-end job in the service industry (these folks never usually last more than a few years before ending up "down on their luck" and returning to wherever they came from)

5. Shady transients from the world over who have to remain on the run, never sticking around in one place for too long

I lived in Florida for 12 years, and this was my experience. YMMV.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:01 PM

242 posts, read 346,532 times
After years of dealings with displaced and cocky Northesterners and ny/nj guidos and all the other bums moving here, we are ready to throw in the towel and LEAVE. The old Florida of yester-year is almost gone not to mention our wildlife, reefs, beaches, etc.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
What is a "guido"?

The whole world of yester-year is almost gone.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:14 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^yea? which state?
Georgia (ATL)

Old 04-17-2015, 05:49 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
i have a few friends from fla that moved to the atl burbs.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:56 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
My plans are to "Move out" around April 15 every year and "Move in" about November 1st every year until I drop dead.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:47 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susy1liner View Post
Because California climate is more cool and stable. No hurricans.
There are many work offers in IT and Quality Assistance.

You might have some misconceptions about the weather in California.
check out these.

Quote:
More than two-thirds of California remains in “extreme” drought, with more than 40 percent of the state in “exceptional” drought, the most extreme category according to the U.S. Drought Monitor
Drought Watch 2015 | Science | KQED Public Media for Northern CA

Quote:
West Coast 'hurricane' winds aren't hurricanes

From time to time winds above 75 mph hit the Pacific Coast, especially the Northwest Coast. While these are "hurricane force" winds, they are not from hurricanes, but from strong extratropical storms.

One famous case was the Columbus Day Storm of 1962 that hit northern California, Oregon and Washington. It caused more than 50 deaths and had winds as high as 119 mph in Portland. When it hit the West Coast, this storm was extratropical, but began as Typhoon Frieda nine days earlier near Wake Island in the western Pacific.

The storm stayed a rather weak typhoon with 100 mph winds, before merging with an extratropical storm. The extratropical storm moved eastward across the Pacific and then northward along the Northwest coast.
USATODAY.com

Quote:
Earthquakes recorded for the last week (168 hours). Times are local (PST or PDT). The most recent earthquakes are at the top of the list. Click on the word "map" or "MAP" to see a map displaying the earthquake. Click on an event "DATE" to get additional text information. Magnitude 3 and greater earthquakes are printed in bold type. The top three magnitudes greater than or equal to 3 are in red.
http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/Quakes/quakes0.html

Every State has it's share of severe weather conditions. Weather may not always be a good reason to move from one state to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida