Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 10:26 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You know all those people that died after Katrina?

Yeah, they said the same thing.

Well, there are lots of folks around (including me) that can tell you from first hand experience that it can and does happen sometimes. And can be as bad, or worse than you ever imagined.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:37 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Their structures are not made to the same code as many of ours are (at least not then I don't know about now) . Many/most of their homes were wood frames. They're also in a fishbowl. My husbands EOC bulding is Cat 5 code. I do not believe they had any in LA.
I don't think there is a county in FL that does not have a ton of trailers. Anyone living in them is at great risk, and parts of them will hit other buildings, or block roads for everyone, in the case of a bad storm. Not to mention the numbers of people who stockpile old vehicles and junk in their yards. Plus, a huge percentage of houses in FL were built in the 80s or earlier, well before any significant hurricane building codes existed. We are all at risk, and storms can happen at any time.

People in Hurricane Sandy assumed that because they had never had a significant hit before, it would mean they never would in the future. People also assumed that because it was a Cat 1, that it would not have significant damage or loss of life with it. That storm was catastrophic in terms of property damage costs, and some neighborhoods were utterly wiped out. Wind damage is not all one has to worry about with a storm. Flooding can destroy an area, without even having winds over 40mph. If a storm brings a ton of rain and the system moves very slowly overhead, flood waters can quickly build up.

***A note to people in the event of a storm: Have common sense. For the love of god, please don't be one of those people who goes out to the beach to swim as a storm is picking up to show off for the news cameras. Even when we have tropical storms, people run right out to drive on the roads when it's not a necessity. And with so many tropical storms, there is loss of life because of this. Don't stand in rushing water in the middle of a storm, even a small storm. For instance, in Tropical Storm Fay in 2008, 21 people died in the US - several by driving their vehicle into water of unknown depth, and then getting out when the vehicle stalled. In one case they walked out into water that had a downed power line in it they couldn't see, and got electrocuted. Fay was also the first storm in history to make landfall in the US 4 times - so you never really know where a storm is going to go. Have common sense, and stay inside during even tropical storms, in a place that should be safe from flood and the worst of the winds. ***

And have a plan ahead of time for evacuation. If you're going to evacuate, do it early, before the roads get gridlocked. Don't be one of those people who say they're going to ride out the storm, and then change their minds at the last minute when they see how serious it is. The recorded calls of people who did this in Katrina in communities along the Gulf (outside of New Orleans) for instance, are heartbreaking.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:51 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Their structures are not made to the same code as many of ours are (at least not then I don't know about now) . Many/most of their homes were wood frames. They're also in a fishbowl. My husbands EOC bulding is Cat 5 code. I do not believe they had any in LA.
That isn't what I'm talking about.

The poster said they didn't do a thing to prepare for a hurricane.

Not smart.

As far as mobile homes go, they now have to be wind rated to a three and have special pinning done.

Granted there are still some of the old ones grandfathered in but hopefully most are gone.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
For the same reason there are no basements, ground water level is too high in the peninsula.

I asked an FPL worker the same question after Wilma.
But most of our subdivisions have them underground. Is that because it is not the main supply lines?

Old 06-04-2016, 01:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Great, Great responses folks. Very valuable, real life information. Thank y'all for the quality input.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:13 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post

Additionally, you can build up an emergency supply of medications (which you should have anyway even if you never have a hurricane) by skipping doses. This is not great, so be extremely careful if you do this, but for instance I have heart medication that is very critical that I take. The way to get around it is knowing that if I forget a dose here and there, I should be fine (just a little uncomfortable for a few hours). In most cases, a Rx medication will have a halfway decent over the counter supplement equivalent. So what I do is carefully research my medications, buy the best equivalent over the counter (you'd be surprised how many complicated medications actually have herbal supplement counterparts) that has the very best reviews, and then when I intentionally skip a dose every few days or once a week, I replace it with the supplement for that dose if I need anything at all, to make it easier for me to miss a dose. Over the course of a year, I stockpile extra doses of medication that way. Plus, ahead of storm season, I order a bunch of the supplements, in case I run out of the Rxs, so I may feel terrible for a while but at least I won't die. This is terrible medical advice, obviously, but as a patient, it has saved my life a few times.

As you stated, this is horrible, dangerous medical advice.

It is very dangerous to skip doses or to suggest substituting herbals.

You are much better off speaking with your MD or your pharmacist.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:30 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
the most important things to have in this order:

- A flashlight, a radio and batteries. Losing power is extremely common & you want to know if the storm is still in the area.
- Your gas tank full.
- Some non-perishable food and water.
- Important documents stored in a waterproof container
- Enough prescriptions for the next 2 or 3 weeks since some medical practices could close if they don't have power.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 06-04-2016 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 02:48 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:

Yeah it depends on your condition. Some medications you can skip even for a few days, others you can't even skip for a day. If possible(not always) people should start filling their prescriptions as early as possible and try to build a small emergency stash.

I think anyone who has a condition where they can't skip a dosage needs to be aware that there is a chance you might not be able to get your medication for 1-3 weeks after a hurricane. It happened to me during Wilma but in my case it was ok to skip the medicine for a few days. I didn't have a life threatening condition either. My doctor's office was closed for 2 weeks, I only lost power for 6 hours.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:35 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
For the same reason there are no basements, ground water level is too high in the peninsula.

I asked an FPL worker the same question after Wilma.
Our utilities were buried in one neighborhood, but when a minimal hurricane came through in 1995(Erin , I think) , our electricity went out shortly after the first gusts and stayed off for a week. Feeder lines were down and circuit breakers blew. Heard them blow during the night. 10 inches of rain in 4 hours the next morning caused flooding, but neighborhoods are not priority. First to get electricity back were hospitals, police stations, gas stations and businesses and then neighborhoods. Some people that complain about the little strip malls and gas stations on every corner might just be saying their thanks after a storm.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:

Lol, you have been around here, surely you have read her 14 page posts before - well, skimmed them, nobody reads the whole thing.

Of course this is horrible advice. "Yeah, skip doses of your critical medication and supplements with herbal remedies from the hippy that lives at the park"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida