Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 06:46 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,347,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
My wife and I were Snowbirds for 5 yrs, got tired of the back and fourth, settled in FL, after 3 years of the endless Summer we through in the towel and moved to the mountains of WNC...
God's country.

It's the dew point that will get ya.
Gotta say, I was shocked at the traffic in that area... No longer a well kept secret for retirees anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 11:33 PM

47 posts, read 52,422 times
I love the mountains of NC and we were planning to move back there. Statesville or Hickory so my daughter could transfer. Cost of living especially rental housing is much cheaper there than in Daytona Beach. But then she met someone and got married a couple weeks ago, he won't move anywhere that has snow, but he does not realize that the snow in NC is not like the snow up north. So she is working on him. I may get there before I die. I love those mountains.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:01 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,523,132 times
Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Like Florida?-20190322_131658.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Gotta say, I was shocked at the traffic in that area... No longer a well kept secret for retirees anymore
I'm about 30 miles NW of Asheville, in my area, this is everyday traffic when I go out.

We lived on 5 acres in Fellsmere with little to no traffic, but in season Vero Beach roads would fill up when going to the city.
From there, we bought a mountain, close to 70A at 3K+'...
Serenity Now! I told my wife, they'll have to carry me off this mountain.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:05 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,955,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoAnywhereMidwest View Post
I love the mountains of NC and we were planning to move back there. Statesville or Hickory so my daughter could transfer. Cost of living especially rental housing is much cheaper there than in Daytona Beach. But then she met someone and got married a couple weeks ago, he won't move anywhere that has snow, but he does not realize that the snow in NC is not like the snow up north. So she is working on him. I may get there before I die. I love those mountains.
Have to agree with him. Snow is common in higher elevations in WNC and quite treacherous to drive in there. Stay in Daytona for better weather.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:10 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,435,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbastash View Post
The environment in Florida, is the most fragile.
All states have issues

Don't be downstream of the Carolina’s hog farms. When a storm overwhelms the manure ponds or the dirt banks give way, watch out.

Don't be near nuclear plants

Don’t be near transmission lines electromagnetic fields

Don’t live near the NewMadrid Fault or faults along the west coast

So, there is no perfect place. Its wherever you find your own happiness.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:08 PM

623 posts, read 967,625 times
Personalty I love living in Florida

Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 AM

8 posts, read 5,081 times
Yes, Fl technically is not open carry. I was thinking concealed. I am not anti gun - just scared of them, but I seem to be all alone, with no gun on my car seat. Forcing me to dial back use of my driving finger.
And yes, it IS all about the dew point.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:50 AM

268 posts, read 263,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGill View Post
There is nothing wrong with wanting to see the world, find a place that you actually enjoy and make a life there, whether it is here in the US or in another country. From a Floridian to a transplant, go where your heart (and wallet/job) takes you. Enjoy yourself and love being young and free...it doesn't last...
That is so true!

Thank God we do not all have the same taste. To each their own. I do understand people who prefer the mountains and e. g. the majestic nature in the south west of the United States. I have been to CA several times and like it very much. I love SF to visit. I also liked San Diego when I visited it years ago. The daughter of a friend of mine who came here to Orlando from Europe as a young adult and spent her university years here in FL, is now working in San Diego, a dream spot for many people. However, she is not so fond about it after experiencing the FL lifestyle. She says the wind is too cold, the beaches are not sandy like here, the water is not blue and it is always gloomy and too chilly when going to the beach. The Caribbean feeling is definitely missing for her (she lived in Orlando and Miami).

As many have stated before: Florida is not for everyone. But it is definitely for me! I have travelled many parts of the world (except Asia) and have lived in many different places in the Western hemisphere. I speak several languages and I love Latin America. So for me, Orlando is the best place in the US to live. I can live the best of several worlds here and I can find many things that I loved about Latin countries. I am surrounded by Spanish speakers and friendly and happy people. There is so much great Latin music and so many great Latin live concerts and festivals in Orlando! Also, I love warm weather, sunshine, palm trees, tropical plants etc. (I grew up in a country with four seasons and cold winters, similar to US states up north, e. g. PA). There are several radio stations here that play my favorite salsa music. And there is always something to do here for my husband and me. We feel right at home here and I feel blessed!

Old 09-05-2020, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 391 times
I'm pretty late, but I just moved from Upstate NY down here to Florida. I really don't like it here for reasons you said above. I really dislike the weather and how hot it is year round. Hopefully, I'll get to return upstate or just somewhere with 4 seasons. Anyways, your post was very relatable

Old 09-05-2020, 06:25 AM

30,476 posts, read 21,329,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy23 View Post
I'm pretty late, but I just moved from Upstate NY down here to Florida. I really don't like it here for reasons you said above. I really dislike the weather and how hot it is year round. Hopefully, I'll get to return upstate or just somewhere with 4 seasons. Anyways, your post was very relatable
Used to be cold here before the rapid warm up world wide clyde. Only gonna get much worse as we see 80's and 90 year round out past 30 years as the planet starts to boil away ray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida