Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:43 PM

216 posts, read 272,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl16 View Post
My boyfriend lives in Daytona Beach, FL and im way over here on the West Coast in Cali. He has asked me to marry himand relocate to FL. Ive lived in my town my whole life and have one child who is in her first year of highschool. Im conflicted if moving to be with him makes me selfish. Its also a $40,000yr paycut. Any advice?
Daytona is a really rough area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 08:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
We are older - our home is almost paid off - it took a long time - and property taxes in Florida are very low compared to the rest of the nation - but - yes - I agree insurance is more - home insurance -

Old 11-30-2016, 05:28 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Quote:
My boyfriend lives in Daytona Beach, FL and im way over here on the West Coast in Cali. He has asked me to marry himand relocate to FL. Ive lived in my town my whole life and have one child who is in her first year of highschool. Im conflicted if moving to be with him makes me selfish. Its also a $40,000yr paycut. Any advice?
I wouldn't move, but that's me. $40k year pay cut, no way! But, it's really up to you......your life.

Good Luck!

Old 11-30-2016, 08:12 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
I like new smyrna and ormond and flagler around daytona alot but daytona is a party town. They have been trying to lose the image but its not easy, I would be very concerned about which area I lived in daytona beach with a high school daughter. Daytona still has its wild parts.

I would visit and stay awhile and check out high schools before I make any moves. New smyrna would be an amazing place to live

Old 11-30-2016, 09:26 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times
Quote:
Why can't the bf move to Cali until your daughter graduates from HS? Just a thought
Good luck to you all

Old 11-30-2016, 09:33 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I wouldn't move, but that's me. $40k year pay cut, no way! But, it's really up to you......your life.

Good Luck!
Completely agree with this!!!

Why doesn't he move by you?

Old 11-30-2016, 10:01 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
No place is perfect, well if you have $100 million in the bank and don't mind not being a show off, you could find an almost perfect place for you somewhere in the world. Florida is great, but it's not a paradise. I moved from California and love it, but it's not without flaws too.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:46 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
We are older - our home is almost paid off - it took a long time - and property taxes in Florida are very low compared to the rest of the nation - but - yes - I agree insurance is more - home insurance -
Insurance is high and depending on where you live in FL the property taxes can be low to high.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:58 PM

461 posts, read 554,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe1972 View Post
It sounds as if we will not be able to live there in a decent place because we make only about $37,000 a year between the two of us... Plus we have a 3 year old child, so I would think that most retirees who moved down to Florida move there to get away from children. I really don't think I would like it in Florida at all and certainly people would not like us because we are very blue collar, so to speak. Plus, my boyfriend could not move us down to Florida right now even if he wanted to because I am going through computer training at my work which does not allow me to transfer at this time plus I am enrolling my son in a pre-kindergarten in this city in Indiana that we are living dot dot dot a pre-kindergarten that has an excellent excellent reputation. To be honest with you, I think that my boyfriend thinks that moving to Florida will be the panacea for all his problems when, in reality, he will be in for a rude awakening. The problem is that last time he was in Florida, it was in the 1960s which was a much different time back then for Florida, I'm sure. Plus, our son is not used to humid weather. He gets too hot at the playground when it is 75 degrees and high humidity... How would he get used to Florida? I have done a lot for my boyfriend, including buying him a truck, and giving him his first son. But I just don't think I can move to Florida. I know this will be a bone of contention for us... However, the good news is that he is thinking about the possibility of Texas and living close to the coast... That I am willing to do. Please excuse the vernacular in this post because I'm using voice texting to post this rather than typing it.

I live in Sarasota and from what it looks like, the bluecollar people hardly ever don't mingle with anyone in the higher classes. I go to a few rich parts now and then and walk around, get a drink or something but I can tell you that those very rich nice palace type parts aren't always the problem. I just think theres a prevailing general sheep attitude that you have to do this or that even if they never tell you to your face.. like own a home, be materialistic.. be a rose colored glasses type of person. If you are these, you will totally fit into FL. And the old money crowd got in when it was good but are generally better folks. They are real rich, I am low to middle class but I relate to them more than the rose colored glasses yuppies that are flooding Florida the most now. This element is 3/4ths wealthy I'd say, some cry poormouth but they're a snooty bunch I find.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:06 AM

461 posts, read 554,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
So I guess you have seen all of Florida to make your statement.

Bon voyage
I will probably end up leaving for the north again too.. WA. How wrong I was to think I Could build a long term life in FL. If you have savings for 20 years maybe. I have savings for 3 tops if I can make it that long because finding employment here is a pain in the royal A. Many fly by night companies, call centers and just people who **** around with you and play games all the time. This place is getting Flaky like California more and more but with the trashy low class elements.. Its getting a very unsavory blend in FL and those of you with rose colored glasses will never get it. All you have to do is take one wrong turn from a beautiful part and be in a horrible part. And the unsavory types sometimes hide out in the nicer parts too and you can be deceived by them. This state is full of liars.. 2nd worst to California I think. I will like Washington State better long term plus its growth is at its max, its not getting an influx and pay is typically better, more opportunities for someone 36 years old. FL keeps getting people and people and more people. It will be worse than Portland at the end of it all or Tampa area will be anyhow. Young people who have family to fall back on or TONS of savings are most ideal for FL but even then they will get bored after awhile unless they bring a girlfriend or a spouse, tons of friends because you aren't meeting new ones down here that's for sure. I am kind of jaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida