Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2021, 03:06 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Some Winn Dixies' are nice the one in Port Charlotte across the bridge is nicer than most. Prices are better but even there not great.

I'm from St. Louis and Schnucks prices are just as high as Publix. haven't been back up there since 2015 but with Schnucks acquiring Shop n Save I suspect Dierbergs and Schnucks upped their prices due to less competition.

Wal-Mart has the best prices and same brands as Winn Dixie and Publix. Other than meats I buy most of my stuff at Wal-Mart. They also have more lanes open in addition to self checkout you get out faster and wider aisles.

Certain areas of the country where there are not a lot of grocery chains or Walmart the prices tend to be higher.

In the years to come as things get more automated and Amazon gets into the grocery game more and offers lower prices these big box chains will have issues, especially as teh older generations die off and the younger crowed orders everything online.

I can see grocery stores downsizing. Like for example Publix or Winn Dixie will have smaller stores like the size of Aldi. They will have their meat and deli sections but a scaled down selection of other stuff. This in return to a online delivery system will cut down on cost big time, labor and also on rent as well since big stores wont be needed.

If you can get same day delivery on grocery items this is going to be a game changer. 10 years from now the grocery industry will look vastly different I think. Especially on dry goods. I ordered a shaver head 9am yesterday on Amazon. 7pm the exact day they delivered it. No extra charge, standard prime

If Amazon really gets going with grocery delivery for no extra charge other than your prime membership and delivers it the same day things will get interesting.
While I do think things will change, the doom and gloom predicted for the grocery industry when Amazon bought Whole Foods in 2017 has not happened. Amazon will have a bigger fight against grocery stores than they did against Circuit City, Toys R Us, Linens N Things, and the bookstores. Most of the grocery stores not being owned by private equity firms probably helps too. Grocery stores seemed to have adapted well and changed in response to the Whole Foods acquisition, and Covid only accelerated those changes. The thing that hurt mall stores and the rest is that many refused to adapt. We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 03:09 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I'd agree with you. We have a couple of the "new" Winn-Dixies by us. It's pretty inside. But horribly managed, poor selection, etc. It's fine if it was the only grocery store, but there is a Publix across the street...
That’s the thing. They are doing better with their design, and their numbers may look better, but if they can’t fix the customer service issues, then they are not going to make it. That’s an issue I had with Luckys and Earth Fare. I would go there on a Sunday afternoon, which is peak grocery time, and they would only have one lane open. Maybe that was a testament to how poorly they were doing as they weren’t nearly as busy as they should’ve been at that time of day.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:49 PM

313 posts, read 218,447 times
Between Publix, Whole Foods, Fresh Market (Orlando doesn't have one to my knowledge, but they have Freshfields Farm, which is even better) Walmart, and your bulk stores such as Costco, BJ's, Sam's, what more could you need? Publix is a fine general grocery store.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:05 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
That’s the thing. They are doing better with their design, and their numbers may look better, but if they can’t fix the customer service issues, then they are not going to make it. That’s an issue I had with Luckys and Earth Fare. I would go there on a Sunday afternoon, which is peak grocery time, and they would only have one lane open. Maybe that was a testament to how poorly they were doing as they weren’t nearly as busy as they should’ve been at that time of day.
It's what a lot of people don't realize makes Publix so great. The stores aren't all that fancy. But they do all the fundamentals damn near perfect. Easy to navigate, clean, well stocked, incredible customer service, etc. Every aspect of Publix is just rock solid. We are so used to it that we don't think much of it. But when you go in to a competing store like Winn Dixie, it's terribly obvious just how good Publix is.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:13 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblenbitz View Post
Between Publix, Whole Foods, Fresh Market (Orlando doesn't have one to my knowledge, but they have Freshfields Farm, which is even better) Walmart, and your bulk stores such as Costco, BJ's, Sam's, what more could you need? Publix is a fine general grocery store.
There are two Fresh Markets in Orlando proper, one at 1500 North Mills (at Nebraska Avenue) and the other in Dr Phillips (Conroy and Dr Phillips Blvd). Besides those there's locations in Lake Mary, Winter Springs and Kissimmee.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:27 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Southeast Grocers (parent company of Winn Dixie) had been preparing an IPO for...March, I think, but changed their minds at the last minute for some reason.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:08 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Southeast Grocers (parent company of Winn Dixie) had been preparing an IPO for...March, I think, but changed their minds at the last minute for some reason.
I wish Publix would do an IPO, but they issue dividend-paying stock to employees only, which is nice for employees only.

I tried to convince my spouse to get a job there.

Alas!

Old 02-03-2021, 06:15 AM

313 posts, read 218,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There are two Fresh Markets in Orlando proper, one at 1500 North Mills (at Nebraska Avenue) and the other in Dr Phillips (Conroy and Dr Phillips Blvd). Besides those there's locations in Lake Mary, Winter Springs and Kissimmee.
Oops! I meant Sprouts. Although looking now, I see there is one in Dr. Philips... However, that's not an area that I frequent much, and I have no desire to do so. But hey, it's there for those who live there I guess.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:24 AM

237 posts, read 283,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblenbitz View Post
Curious: Are there no smaller grocers like IGA in or around Lakeland? I've always liked those as an alternative to big box chain supermarkets.
Jax is fortunate to have a local IGA affiliated chain called Rowes. It's a no frills store for the most part, but their newest store in Baymeadows (a former W/D location) is a showplace with a hot deli, bakery and a HUGE variety of ethnic foods & ingredients). Pricing is also quite competitive.

https://rowes.iga.com/StoreLocator/State/?State=FL

Old 02-03-2021, 09:26 AM

237 posts, read 283,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bab_LeBeau View Post
This is patently false. Lukewarm? Their Carolina Division is booming. Stores around Atlanta suburbs are killing Kroger, Publix now "owns" Atlanta. It's making bigtime strides in suburban Birmingham, ALL around Nashville metro, and now is moving into MS.

Wegman's won't come to the Southeast. They don't have the leverage or the distribution, not to mention name recognition - even Kroger has name recognition, so does WD, but "Wegman's" ??? heck NO
I agree with much of what you've said except two things:

*Wegmans is already in the Southeast, having stores in VA and NC.

*Publix MAY enter MS at some point, most likely in the affluent burbs south of Memphis, but they aren't there now. If they are, where did you hear this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida