Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2021, 09:09 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post

p.s. - As much as I like Publix overall, their subs are absolutely the most overrated food item in the entire state of Florida.

You got that right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 10:00 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
If I am alllowed not to hitchhike the thread but make a note here, it's funny that a Gas Station Chain makes them so good, delicious and cheapER than competition ... My hat's off to WAWA in that Department !!!

Last edited by Huasho; 02-15-2021 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-15-2021, 10:37 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Well that's on you. There is amazing pizza all over Florida and finding NY style pizza is as easy as walking to nearly any corner. Florida has some of the best pizza you'll find, period. You sure that you have actually had pizza in NY? I mean, it's fine and all but it's like anywhere else - some is really good, some not so much. There is nothing magical about making pizza in NY. In fact, one of the fastest growing pizza places in the NY area is a Florida export, Anthony's. So apparently the NE folks can't get enough of our Florida pizza.... (which is a NY style coal fired pizza).

And you can't find good Chinese either? Give me a break. Are you just a serial whiner? Seems like it. Just making things up and hating on Florida as usual I guess.

p.s. - As much as I like Publix overall, their subs are absolutely the most overrated food item in the entire state of Florida.
I really wish academia could do a blind taste test study of foods from different regions of the US to see if people truly believe that the restaurant pizza, coffee, etc. and/or fresh food products from grocers from one region are actually better than the other. My hypothesis is that the results would be all over the map and conclude that perceptions and biases play a bigger role in our opinions than we think.

If you've spent your whole life being told that the pizza or general Italian is better in NY, the BBQ and Mexican is better in Texas, the varieties of Asian cuisine is better in California, the Cuban and seafood in Florida is better, traditional Southern cuisine is better in Georgia, etc., then you're setting yourself up to feel underwhelmed when you have those cuisines in other places. That's even more true if you are from the area and you love the cuisine that is popular there.

We also have to understand the role the environment plays in our perceptions. That bowl of gumbo is going to hit differently sitting in an iconic New Orleans restaurant than it will in Minneapolis, even if it is the same recipe. The same goes for the cortado and vaca frita meal from a Calle 8 restaurant in Miami vs. having it at a place in Seattle.

Same with grocers. I've bought fresh food items from some of these supposedly superior stores in other states to make meals I always make. Despite claims on City-Data that their meat and produce are of higher quality than what we have here, that food tasted the same as it does with products bought from the chains and local outfits in Orlando.

If I were to leave Florida or the other states where there is a Publix as well as my favorite local restaurants, I would of course miss aspects of it. But I will also be too excited to find new things to experience and adopt as favorites in my new city/state. If only people did that when moving here....

Old 02-15-2021, 11:26 AM

237 posts, read 283,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
If I am alllowed not to hitchhike the thread but make a note here, it's funny that a Gas Station Chain makes them so good, delicious and cheapER than competition ... My hat's off to WAWA in that Department !!!
Really? Wawa is one step above Subway. They're not that great.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

If I were to leave Florida or the other states where there is a Publix as well as my favorite local restaurants, I would of course miss aspects of it. But I will also be too excited to find new things to experience and adopt as favorites in my new city/state. If only people did that when moving here....
Bingo.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:42 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
OMG, Wawa is not just a gas station, you had to grow up in Pennsylvania to know that!

Old 02-15-2021, 03:49 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I really wish academia could do a blind taste test study of foods from different regions of the US to see if people truly believe that the restaurant pizza, coffee, etc. and/or fresh food products from grocers from one region are actually better than the other. My hypothesis is that the results would be all over the map and conclude that perceptions and biases play a bigger role in our opinions than we think.

If you've spent your whole life being told that the pizza or general Italian is better in NY, the BBQ and Mexican is better in Texas, the varieties of Asian cuisine is better in California, the Cuban and seafood in Florida is better, traditional Southern cuisine is better in Georgia, etc., then you're setting yourself up to feel underwhelmed when you have those cuisines in other places. That's even more true if you are from the area and you love the cuisine that is popular there.

We also have to understand the role the environment plays in our perceptions. That bowl of gumbo is going to hit differently sitting in an iconic New Orleans restaurant than it will in Minneapolis, even if it is the same recipe. The same goes for the cortado and vaca frita meal from a Calle 8 restaurant in Miami vs. having it at a place in Seattle.

Same with grocers. I've bought fresh food items from some of these supposedly superior stores in other states to make meals I always make. Despite claims on City-Data that their meat and produce are of higher quality than what we have here, that food tasted the same as it does with products bought from the chains and local outfits in Orlando.

Of course. This was the point I was making. Just like an Italian restaurant. It could literally be run by Italian restauranteurs, fresh off the boat, Italian chefs, etc... And sure enough some snobby clown will comment about how good it is, but you know, not as good as when you are in Italy, where they spent a week last summer....

Old 02-15-2021, 03:51 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
Really? Wawa is one step above Subway. They're not that great.

I'd rank Publix subs on par with Subway in many respects. So if Wawa is a step above that, then heck, probably pretty good.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I'd rank Publix subs on par with Subway in many respects.
I don't see how that can even be possible. Millions disagree with you of course, so I think I know where the issue lies.....

Old 02-15-2021, 05:53 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Of course. This was the point I was making. Just like an Italian restaurant. It could literally be run by Italian restauranteurs, fresh off the boat, Italian chefs, etc... And sure enough some snobby clown will comment about how good it is, but you know, not as good as when you are in Italy, where they spent a week last summer....
Yep. I was agreeing with you on that one. I’ve met a lot of people from a variety of backgrounds, life experiences and income levels over my years here, yet I only see this level of food pickiness and sky high standards on City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida