Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 02:12 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,748,872 times

Advertisements

All this talk of corporate shills and "spies among us" hoping to brainwash us is all very entertaining, but if we're going to question the motives of everyone who offers an opinion (rather than just questioning the opinion offered), there isn't much point trying to have a discussion. Question the opinion, but not the motives, since you really don't have any proof of any nefarious motive behind anyone's postings. It's all just idle speculation and has the vague aroma of gatekeeping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 07:07 PM

36 posts, read 42,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
All this talk of corporate shills and "spies among us" hoping to brainwash us is all very entertaining, but if we're going to question the motives of everyone who offers an opinion (rather than just questioning the opinion offered), there isn't much point trying to have a discussion. Question the opinion, but not the motives, since you really don't have any proof of any nefarious motive behind anyone's postings. It's all just idle speculation and has the vague aroma of gatekeeping.
I was reading over the exchange, and you're absolutely right about speculation, and really what's the darn issue in the first place? some consumer calling publix, publix supermarkets? that's totally insane! it's the darn internet for godsake and some of the grande dames of the forum who have thousands of posts must think they have information on, or hegemony over every relatively new poster, all the while not thinking that they too started off with ZERO postings, then they have given themselves permission to question the motives of posters they don't even know? oh my, that's a bit sick in my book even for the internet!

And yes, it DOES have the smell of gatekeeping with no authorization to do so, perhaps in their own little heads. Speculation about anonymous participants on the web is a little messed up.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:31 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Whetstone View Post
I was reading over the exchange, and you're absolutely right about speculation, and really what's the darn issue in the first place? some consumer calling publix, publix supermarkets? that's totally insane! it's the darn internet for godsake and some of the grande dames of the forum who have thousands of posts must think they have information on, or hegemony over every relatively new poster, all the while not thinking that they too started off with ZERO postings, then they have given themselves permission to question the motives of posters they don't even know? oh my, that's a bit sick in my book even for the internet!

And yes, it DOES have the smell of gatekeeping with no authorization to do so, perhaps in their own little heads. Speculation about anonymous participants on the web is a little messed up.
Are you sure you read the exchange(s?)
The issue wasn’t with calling the store one thing or another, but rather with the consistent style in which messages were written, from various “users” who all spewed the same nonsense, and who all were coincidentally new users.
I’m a fan of Publix. But these posts smell off.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:04 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The issue wasn’t with calling the store one thing or another, but rather with the consistent style in which messages were written, from various “users” who all spewed the same nonsense, and who all were coincidentally new users.
Several of us have tried to explain it, but it's not getting through lol. And oh, the latest rant is from yet another February 2021 account.

Daniel,

I don't believe in the conspiracies that any ardent defense or praise means that one is doing so on behalf of the company, but it does exist. While I am not into the whole natural/organic elitism that some display, Vani Hari of FoodBabe fame talks about when she's gone after companies for questionable ingredients or been interviewed on the news, there will be a slew of predictable negative comments about on the station's social media posts bout the story, which has somehow been traced to the companies or food producers she criticizes. She mentioned being profiled in a news story, and a professor was presented as the alternative view in the story to balance it out. While portrayed as a neutral entity, the professor was actually being compensated by one of the major corporations Hari criticizes.

I've defended Publix plenty of times here and think some of the expectations by some of what the store should offer are over the top, yet I still think someone is making multiple accounts to defend the store, which is not necessary.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:31 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,699,740 times
I will be dealing with the ONLY Dept I deal with at Publix in 2 days...I am getting the 1st dose of the Covid Vaccine there and going back on the 31st. Just a hair over one mile from home, super convenient for me when I know people nearby have gone a LOT farther than that to get vaccinated 2wice.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:27 AM

36 posts, read 42,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

New users, old users, no users, just readers - WHO cares? if it's "nonsense" and irks you because of new users, simply don't engage and ignore the posters? are you the self-appointed arbiter of what others posters write or think? Are you another gatekeeper? lol

It's the internet, pal. What do you really expect? For me, I don't expect anything, "smelly" or not. LOL

You must think this is real life? Maybe you've been on the internet posting your wisdom too long ? I dunno but it's not a private club chatting with friends. Use the ignore feature - simple.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:15 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Whetstone View Post
New users, old users, no users, just readers - WHO cares? if it's "nonsense" and irks you because of new users, simply don't engage and ignore the posters? are you the self-appointed arbiter of what others posters write or think? Are you another gatekeeper? lol

It's the internet, pal. What do you really expect? For me, I don't expect anything, "smelly" or not. LOL

You must think this is real life? Maybe you've been on the internet posting your wisdom too long ? I dunno but it's not a private club chatting with friends. Use the ignore feature - simple.
Calm down before you give yourself a heart attack. LOL

Old 03-03-2021, 07:23 AM

16 posts, read 36,149 times
you're right, it's just the net !

Last edited by castelazo; 03-03-2021 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-08-2021, 08:00 PM

654 posts, read 590,680 times
In my part of the woods; Publix employees are much like Chick Fil A employees; courteous, efficient, and customer focused. Recipe for success.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:13 AM

23 posts, read 22,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
In my part of the woods; Publix employees are much like Chick Fil A employees; courteous, efficient, and customer focused. Recipe for success.
totally agree, but some of these posts whereby one is attacking another about the name of a grocery store is pretty strange - and shouldn't be done! someone please tell me what diff does it make when someone signed up to post? or how many posts they have? I don't get it. I'm new but have been reading all over this site for a couple of years! what's wrong with these people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida