Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 12:25 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I guess I'm fortunate that my neighbors do not behave that way. Certainly I wouldn't want a neighbor who was threatening me with vulgar language. I think I'll stay in my 'hood in Venice far away from the Villages. I have no idea what my neighbors political values are. We never discuss politics. I do have one neighbor who lived under communism for 20 years and he's not enamored of that system.
Sounds like you are in a neighborhood that fits your values

I pointed out the video, because I don't understand why someone with so much hate in their heart for the people in her community... why would they live there? And if you are retired, but also a little political and right leaning, well, it seems the Villages might be an ideal spot with like minded people.

My neighborhood is a bit like yours I guess. Politics is more heated when it comes to the actual HOA, lol. National politics, Trump/Biden parades, etc... that's not much of a thing here.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:54 PM

469 posts, read 466,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Sounds like you are in a neighborhood that fits your values

I pointed out the video, because I don't understand why someone with so much hate in their heart for the people in her community... why would they live there? And if you are retired, but also a little political and right leaning, well, it seems the Villages might be an ideal spot with like minded people.

My neighborhood is a bit like yours I guess. Politics is more heated when it comes to the actual HOA, lol. National politics, Trump/Biden parades, etc... that's not much of a thing here.
Yeah. The Villages is huge and I suppose the more people you have the bigger chance for political strife. The communities I've lived in here in the Venice area have been small. I grew up in Indiana where there used to be little differences between Democrats and Republicans. At one time both Dems and Repubs in Indiana would have been considered slightly right of center compared to the east and west coasts. I suppose its different now. My dad was a Democrat and my step mom was a Republican. They only discussed politics at election time. They laughed that they were cancelling out each other's votes.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:27 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Within the boundaries of the Villages (not the non-Villages real estate), it's around 80% trump supporting. Or it was. I've seen a LOT of Biden/Harris bumper stickers and signs and even banners and flags lately. It's still a pretty large majority of trump supporters. But that majority is getting smaller and smaller by the day.

Me personally - not a Democrat. Not a Republican. Left-leaning but within the defined (not perceived) category of "moderate." Somewhat progressive, fiscally conservative, socially liberal.
Even if the area is 80% Trump, my guess is that people in somewhere like The Villages are going to be a bit more open-minded, educated, and well-traveled than somewhere like my town in TN where there are few transplants and the worldview is really limited.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:37 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Even if the area is 80% Trump, my guess is that people in somewhere like The Villages are going to be a bit more open-minded, educated, and well-traveled than somewhere like my town in TN where there are few transplants and the worldview is really limited.
Where do you think the Villages residents came from?

Old 10-06-2020, 12:07 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Funny I see a Republicans for Biden yard signs now.

I was down in Naples the other day and drove through my old neighborhood. It was about 60 percent Trump signs but also saw a lot of Biden signs in yards as well. Shocked I saw so many. Even saw a Republicans for Biden one!

This isn't shocking.

One thing I notice is down here many of the Republicans are RINOs. They're moderate at best and in states like Missouri would be considered moderate democrats! They don't seem that conservative except for the rural area ones. Miami area Republicans tend to be anti gun too. They kill any pro gun bills it seems.

I guess that's to be expected in a swing state with a lot of new englanders. They don't want to offend the moderates.

I never got the concept of signs. I will vote for Trump and Republican as always. A sign isn't going to get me to vote Democrat lol.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:10 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVPFord View Post
Well, by your own description, i.e. "left leaning", you're a typical Democrat voter. No Republican would ever describe themselves as "left LEANING" LOL are you nuts? I don't think anyone buys this BS from any likely voter! not to mention the nomenclature and use of the term "progressive" in ANY context in re Republican values.
...which is why I also said I am not a Republican. It's right there in the snippet YOU bolded. Did you not read it?

I am unaffiliated, and anti-partisan. I am against ALL parties. And don't forget - once upon a time during the Civil War, it was the Republicans who were the left-wing, and the Democrats who were the right-wing. They switched right around the same time.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:22 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

I am unaffiliated, and anti-partisan. I am against ALL parties. And don't forget - once upon a time during the Civil War, it was the Republicans who were the left-wing, and the Democrats who were the right-wing. They switched right around the same time.
The big switch got flipped in the 1960s when LBJ was one of the driving forces behind federal civil rights laws, which angered white Southerners that resented being asked to give up segregationist practices while drawing blacks closer to the Democratic party.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:54 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The big switch got flipped in the 1960s when LBJ was one of the driving forces behind federal civil rights laws, which angered white Southerners that resented being asked to give up segregationist practices while drawing blacks closer to the Democratic party.
I stand corrected on that!

The history is the same even though the dates weren't right: Democrats used to be the right-wing. Republicans used to be the left-wing. It's why I am unaffiliated. I don't want to be affiliated with either "wing." I'm a moderate.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:08 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Funny I see a Republicans for Biden yard signs now.

I was down in Naples the other day and drove through my old neighborhood. It was about 60 percent Trump signs but also saw a lot of Biden signs in yards as well. Shocked I saw so many. Even saw a Republicans for Biden one!
Those signs are all over NC and rural parts of NJ too. Now that veterans are leaning to Biden, support in formerly heavy Red areas are only slightly red, or even slightly blue. Especially after today.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVPFord View Post
Well, by your own description, i.e. "left leaning", you're a typical Democrat voter. No Republican would ever describe themselves as "left LEANING" LOL are you nuts? I don't think anyone buys this BS from any likely voter! not to mention the nomenclature and use of the term "progressive" in ANY context in re Republican values.
You're so wrong. Up until Obama's second term (I voted for him btw) I was a Republican who was left leaning. Then the left fell over, I stayed upright, and here we are. I'll be voting for Trump in Nov based on the last 4 years and I know what people call me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida