Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 02:22 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I'm a moderate and moved to the Villages because it has the best variety of things to do for someone who is still active, but no longer working.

Most of my neighborhood are on the conservative side, we have a few MAGA-hat wearing people and one guy hanging a trump banner from the flagpole against his house. It bugs me, but as long as we don't talk about politics or political conspiracy stories we're all good. When they start blaming the Chinese for intentionally bringing the virus to the USA, that's when we all know the conversation is over or we need to change the subject.

Meanwhile, I'm encouraging all my moderate friends and family to move into the Villages. Why? Because that's the only way it will STOP being right-wing conservative trumpster. You won't change these people. The best you can hope for is to replace them. Whenever one of them dies, hopefully a less extreme couple will buy their house and move in.

I don't wish death on any of them. As I said - we mostly all get along fine as long as we avoid talking about politics. But they WILL die - sooner rather than later. It's a senior community afterall, and most of the ones in my neighborhood of the community are over 75.

I don't want a "blue" community, just as much as I don't want a "red" community. All that does is create division. I'd personally like to flip it purple, where no one is red or blue.
I know this will not be pc but, I wish you would leave the area as you found it and not try to change it to suit you. That is what most Floridians have feared, exactly what you are trying to do. Then you don't understand the resentment. Find an area that suits you better, please.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:12 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I know this will not be pc but, I wish you would leave the area as you found it and not try to change it to suit you. That is what most Floridians have feared, exactly what you are trying to do. Then you don't understand the resentment. Find an area that suits you better, please.
Florida population 1980- 10.19 million people
Florida population 2000-15.3 million people
Florida population 2020- 21.48 million people

Percent of Florida residents born in Florida- around 35%

IMO, a large part of the charm of Florida is that it's constantly reinventing itself like the way the waves reshape the sand on a barrier island. That constant movement, while not always in the direction I'd like, helps keep it from getting tired and boring.

If you want a stagnant and unchanging place, there's always Alabama, where much of it is still indeed 1979 at most.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:20 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I'm guessing most of the Native Americans who lived in this part of the continent felt EXACTLY the same way, when they were invaded by Europe, infected with disease, their women raped, their children murdered, their men slaughtered, and their lands confiscated.

I was a Floridian in 1979 BTW. I felt it needed changing even then.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:48 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
...snipped....

I was a Floridian in 1979 BTW. I felt it needed changing even then.
Then you didn't live in the best parts of old Florida. It was a good way of life. Blacks needed more economic opportunity but we all got along and it eventually got better. I wasn't rich or came from an upperclass background. I had friends that did and they were about as happy and content as I was. I miss families being together, a sense of belonging, dinner on the grounds, places to go not too far away where we enjoyed nature and the outdoors and our commercial entertainments were simpler, gave us heros and a view of lives that were not always so violent and the "f" word was never heard. Jmo and you are entitled to yours. It isn't a contest.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:02 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:
Why would liberals ever move to The Villages?

Because they haven't been able to ruin it yet!

Old 11-03-2022, 08:31 PM

255 posts, read 464,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think the majority if not all retirement communities in Florida are majority conservative. The ones here in Ocala and there are a number of them. All of them are the same viewpoints as the Villages. On Top of The World, Oak Run, Spruce Creek Preserve to name a few.

It does make one wonder Why a Political Party dominates these communities. I have my views on the why but that's all it is my view.

Personally and I live in Oak Run. People would be alot better off if they got a life. Instead of just hanging around the pools and clubs. Get out in the community outside your community and rejoin the world. Meet people of all ages and backgrounds. The political bullcrap with retirees is tiresome and there is no need for one group of politics to dominate where we live. I wish they would all keep their damn mouths shut here and get an actual life.
The REASON is because all across the country, retirees are more conservative than any other age group. In the Villages, they're concentrated in one place. As for "get out in the community and rejoin the world", you don't seem to understand who you're talking about. These are people who have built companies, traveled the world, helped people for decades, worked in industry, entertainment, sports and government. They've been more involved than you can dream. But they're tired of all that BS now and just want to enjoy their lives playing golf and pickleball. Your dream is not theirs. They've all been there and done that.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:01 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
"Ruining" isn't a political attribute, but making generalizations certainly is.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:56 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Right! Horrible people imo. A disease they are.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:09 AM

453 posts, read 301,798 times
Quote:
I'm a moderate and moved to the Villages because it has the best variety of things to do for someone who is still active, but no longer working.

Most of my neighborhood are on the conservative side, we have a few MAGA-hat wearing people and one guy hanging a trump banner from the flagpole against his house. It bugs me, but as long as we don't talk about politics or political conspiracy stories we're all good. When they start blaming the Chinese for intentionally bringing the virus to the USA, that's when we all know the conversation is over or we need to change the subject.

Meanwhile, I'm encouraging all my moderate friends and family to move into the Villages. Why? Because that's the only way it will STOP being right-wing conservative trumpster. You won't change these people. The best you can hope for is to replace them. Whenever one of them dies, hopefully a less extreme couple will buy their house and move in.

I don't wish death on any of them. As I said - we mostly all get along fine as long as we avoid talking about politics. But they WILL die - sooner rather than later. It's a senior community afterall, and most of the ones in my neighborhood of the community are over 75.

I don't want a "blue" community, just as much as I don't want a "red" community. All that does is create division. I'd personally like to flip it purple, where no one is red or blue.
How do these incendiary posts and threads get away with not being reported and removed??

This political sh1t belongs in Great Debates or Politics.

Mostly because if anyone not a woke Liberal tries to RESPOND, we end up with the infractions and YOU do not. Usually because we are better at factual debate and emotional people freak out and keep reporting their butthurt.

NOBODY claims "Chinese intentionally brought the virus to the United States" let alone Trump.

The calls are coming from inside the house.m Obviously. Oh the drama.

That doesn't even show up if you try and google it to find it for chrissakes.

But I'm SURE you can find some obscure idiot online somewhere. OR start screaming 4Chan!!!!

Last edited by huitrecouture; 11-04-2022 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-04-2022, 11:15 AM

453 posts, read 301,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Florida population 1980- 10.19 million people
Florida population 2000-15.3 million people
Florida population 2020- 21.48 million people

Percent of Florida residents born in Florida- around 35%

IMO, a large part of the charm of Florida is that it's constantly reinventing itself like the way the waves reshape the sand on a barrier island. That constant movement, while not always in the direction I'd like, helps keep it from getting tired and boring.

If you want a stagnant and unchanging place, there's always Alabama, where much of it is still indeed 1979 at most.
See? Classic.

The member didn't say ANYTHING ABOUT BORN IN FLORIDA but LIberals LOVE misstating the issues and changing the argument.

Also the PERSONAL ATTACK on the member AND Alabama is uncalled for.

And NO, Florida is not "constantly reinventing itself" wtf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida