Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 06:31 AM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times

Advertisements

yeah right....Canadians never got sick in Florida before...and never needed insurance before

Canada has a ban and restrictions on travel....that's all it is...nothing to do with insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 07:26 AM

17,190 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Post 277.

For a Canadian with a residence in Canada, complying with the quarantine rules upon returning likely is a lesser concern as the issue wasn't even mentioned in the AP article republished by Bloomberg.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...m?srnd=premium
Wildly false. Canadians' primary concern is, in fact, the travel restrictions and quarantine rules. It's the reason why we haven't had our annual family gathering in NY this year. It's the reason why none of my family is travelling down here this winter. It's the reason why my friend had to hire an American to operate the American side of his business, as he pretty much cannot travel efficiently to the US and back. It's the reason why the snowbirds who used to vacation next to my old house have not come down this year. I have not heard of anyone being concerned about their insurance.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:08 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Wildly false. Canadians' primary concern is, in fact, the travel restrictions and quarantine rules. It's the reason why we haven't had our annual family gathering in NY this year. It's the reason why none of my family is travelling down here this winter. It's the reason why my friend had to hire an American to operate the American side of his business, as he pretty much cannot travel efficiently to the US and back. It's the reason why the snowbirds who used to vacation next to my old house have not come down this year. I have not heard of anyone being concerned about their insurance.
So, you are claiming that relatively few Canadians traveling to the U.S. are concerned about the great increase in the cost of supplemental insurance or the possibility that supplemental insurance wouldn't fully cover the cost of any COVID-19 hospitalization? Why are all of the articles that emphasize the insurance consideration wrong?

It's extremely likely that several considerations are slashing the numbers of Canadian snowbirds expected in Florida this winter season. What is true, regardless of reason, the ramifications of the Republican gross mismanagement of the COVID-19 epidemic in the U.S. has greatly disrupted Florida's tourism industry.

A friend of mine who owns a high-rise condo in Florida is skipping Florida this year. She doesn't feel comfortable about elevators and common areas during the surge. She also prefers the medical resources in Greater Cleveland over those in Greater Tampa. No family or friends would visit her this season. She will incur a big tax hit by skipping her 6 months plus Florida residency under Ohio state tax laws.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
yeah right....Canadians never got sick in Florida before...and never needed insurance before

Canada has a ban and restrictions on travel....that's all it is...nothing to do with insurance
Are you serious??? I guess if you're someone who believes that the COVID-19 epidemic is a hoax, or a gross exaggeration, or if you believe that the epidemic is well contained in Florida, than you could write such a post. Obviously, a purveyor of "Big Lie" propaganda also would have no difficulty writing this post.

Last edited by WRnative; 12-16-2020 at 08:25 AM..

Old 12-16-2020, 08:24 AM

Default Pets are another issue for Canadian snowbirds

Also, additional insight into the insurance issue:

<<Many, like Borenstein, have pets that are too big to fly in-cabin. They’d still need a car and renting one would add up fast. Then there is the cost of international health insurance.

Many insurance providers have exceptions to their policies. They put caps on hospital stays if you contract COVID-19, for instance, and reduce coverage if you travel during a health advisory. (There is currently a health advisory in Canada about traveling to the U.S.)>>

https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...for-tampa-bay/

I do wonder if Canadians who are vaccinated might feel safer venturing south this winter.

Politicization of general health policies in the U.S. and especially in Florida also is repulsive to Canadians.

<<“The politicization of COVID is mind-boggling to a Canadian,” Borenstein said. “It shouldn’t make a difference what party you’re behind if you wear a mask or not. It’s unbelievable to us.”

Borenstein, Cairns and six other Canadians who spoke to the Tampa Bay Times all said they’ve decided they will not be traveling in 2020. Most left Florida in a rush in March, just before the borders shut down.

They’re still hopeful they will be able to return in February: if the borders reopen, if cases go down, if effective vaccines are widely distributed and if the inauguration goes smoothly.>>

https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...for-tampa-bay/

The availability of hospital resources in Florida is another issue.

<<Firestone says one concern if a Canadian does catch the virus while wintering down south is that surging numbers of Americans catching the virus could mean some hospitals may be full.

“The real problem is going to be if you go to the hospital you could be in for a rude wakening. The service and the expectations may not be at the level that you’re used to," Firestone said.

Firestone says even though he is selling his clients COVID-19 travel insurance coverage - his advice is to stay put....

Anyone who decides to go south will have to make sure they have travel medical insurance coverage that it includes coverage for COVID-19.>>

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canadian-...emic-1.5206273

Old 12-16-2020, 08:52 AM

17,190 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I don't know if this is drug related....an attempt at a strawman....or serious mental problems

It has nothing to do with Canadians and insurance...

To return to Canada...not only do they have to submit a quarantine plan...and get it approved first...they have to quarantine for 2 weeks when they return

...and at the same time, run the risk that Canada closes their border completely....and they are stuck in Florida and can't return at all...indefinitely
And this has been the sole issue my many Canadian friends and family have expressed -- it's also why I haven't been to Canada this year to visit my family: I'd have to sit in quarantine for 2 weeks, and have to have a proven plan demonstrating how I will get groceries and whatnot. And they, in turn, would have to go through that same hell if coming here, and returning. Not worth the hassle.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:48 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
As noted in posts 248 and 251, many Canadian snowbirds will skip their U.S. winter vacations due to COVID-19 surges here and the risks of inadequate insurance coverage if hospitalization becomes necessary. As most Canadian snowbirds are more elderly, their concerns likely are magnified.

rl]
I handle the reservations book for one of the busiest restaurants in South Florida, we serve thousands a day in season, and a good chunk of my reservations of Canadian phone numbers.

Canadians with second or third homes have headed to Florida to ride out the rest of the pandemic.

I know because I ask a lot of them and every one I've spoken to could care less about the quarantine when returning home. They don't plan on returning until Spring.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:06 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
One can appear to be doing a great job when you cook the numbers. Of course most of Floriduh has yet to catch on..

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronav...R7AtNe8trDf7OQ
Yes, I saw that a couple of weeks ago but I think the spike the day after kind of makes up for it. Then again, I don't know enough about the field.

The Covid numbers I posted were from the CDC.

I also think because things are open here, and we are masked up in South Florida, people are less likely to gather at home which don't have the built in protections bars and restaurants do.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:29 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I handle the reservations book for one of the busiest restaurants in South Florida, we serve thousands a day in season, and a good chunk of my reservations of Canadian phone numbers.

Canadians with second or third homes have headed to Florida to ride out the rest of the pandemic.

I know because I ask a lot of them and every one I've spoken to could care less about the quarantine when returning home. They don't plan on returning until Spring.
I don't see any shortage of snowbirds, including Canadians, in this neck of the woods either.

I have no doubt some stayed home this winter, but many many more did not.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:30 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
In deaths per million residents, Desantis's results for Florida are below the national average.

Given the fact that Florida has the 2nd oldest population in the USA (to Maine), that is an astounding result for our great Governor.

New York is the deadliest state, and Cuomo and DeBlasio failed miserably. Connecticut and Massachusetts also failed, as did Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida