Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 06:51 PM

189 posts, read 195,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
I think, that both sides of the discussion need to take it down a notch.
The emotional language is inflammatory- taken right from our yellow press. (it seems all our press is yellow)

It is proven that the universal masks wearing, though not protective to the wearer- does slows down or even curbs the infection spread( and not only the novel coronavirus! the flu included)
However, if you are susceptible- and you know who you are - we as a society shall let them stay home, work from home or to accommodate these individuals in their workplace (N-99 masks, free sanitizer, individual office, negative pressure air, grocery delivery, telehealth ,remote learning, etc.)
We already lost a lot of Americans.

Hopefully, fully opening the economy will help us all to achieve the herd immunity (and if we lose some people, well- it is due to their own doing- not being careful, partying or being stupid and not wearing a mask and not socially distancing: it is their choice!)
Just being pragmatic and apolitical
P.S. I do my part and stay away from people
Trying to act like the middle man peace maker...and then you throw down your coronabro pro-mask talking points. I see right through your act. Little pieces of cloth is not going help anybody or anything pal.

So we all must spend hours each day breathing through the very thing that cannot be touched because it is contaminated—as if microbes that collect on its outer surface would not be inhaled by the wearer, possibly including COVID-19 itself. Unlike your claim it has never been proven to limit viral spread and become so contaminated that one can’t even touch it or leave them lying around to be touched by someone else.

source: https://remnantnewspaper.com/web/ind...topheraferrara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 06:57 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
How does anyone in their right mind think its a good idea to lift all restrictions and allow indoor dining with 100% capacity?

Contrary to wishful thinking, COVID is NOT over, Florida has a very high rate of community spread and we are heading into fall flu season.
That one is easy. Season is starting.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Which is the same argument that drunks long used about their right to slam six beers and then drive home from the bar. A country that doesn’t understand how the actions of one person negatively impacts others and thinks such selfish behavior is fine and dandy is doomed
No its not don't be silly. its BREATHING. A natural human function. And seeing somebody's face. THE NUMBER ONE way a person is identified as an individual. Drunk driving has been bad for a century now. Showing your face...for a few months. What a ridiculous analogy. Gheesh..coronabros... Why exactly do you take a stance against breathing normally and naturally. The way you talk face coverings are the saviors of the world...humans would have been extinct before the birth of Christ. The True Savior of course.

And the Florida connection..well say good bye to the "Mask Up or Pay Up' the idiot mayor of Miami was promoting. And a sign for the theme parks to shape up and lose the mask mandates lest risk keeping business away in the long term. There are those who think the opposite than I do. That we won't go to the parks UNLESS there is a mask policy. But those folks are visiting now and that business will dry up very soon.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
That one is easy. Season is starting.
Did you see the death rate stats earlier in the thread dude. Yeah..open things up. Life live again sir. Its ok. Don't fret. You'll be alright. Big bad COVID ain't going to get you.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:08 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Very well said. That is the big problem. They are being forced on us. Surprisingly some of the biggest enforcers of the face coverings are churches!
Really? I guess church enforcement depends on the theology of the denomination. If it's more "health and wealth," they're probably more likely to be anti-maskers. If they are more "everyone deals with periods of joyous and suffering events that are completely out of their control," I would assume they are more cautious and thus enforce masks. Just a hunch though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Businesses that are shutting down were likely in trouble before COVID. 60% of all restaurants fail within one year, with 80% failing within five years. Brick and mortar retail is also largely a dinosaur due to the likes of Amazon and other e-commerce sites.

Businesses need to reinvent themselves to adapt to the new economy. Those that don't get creative are doomed for failure. COVID should not be used as an excuse to justify unsafe behavior and put public health at risk.
That's not entirely true, and the reason so many people have that narrative is because the media give Amazon the credit every time a brick and mortar store fails, even if Amazon had nothing to do with it. The Southeastern Grocers bankruptcy of 2017 mentioned in that link is one example. Do people really think Winn-Dixie shoppers are defecting to Whole Foods? The ink was barely dry on the merger to have had impact. My bet is that they were/are defecting to Walmart and Aldi. Walmart/Target didn't get nearly as much credit as they should have when Toys R Us went bust.

That is a topic I love to talk about, but if I say more here, I risk it all being deleted for being off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..that's sorta like dying "with" corvd...instead of "because" of covid....isn't it

well that's wrong too

there's plenty of people that sunk their retirements into things like apartment buildings...that are now losing everything

..and businesses that were perfectly fine and were in no trouble at all

someone that owns a corner convenience store...rentals....etc....doesn't need to reinvent one dam thing
Yeah. I still have mixed feelings about the business shutdowns. I have no data, but I started to rethink some of my position when I got the hunch that most spread is happening between people who know each other as opposed to strangers out in public. I've mentioned that hunch here before. "Knowing each other" includes schools and churches. It could include bars and clubs too because of the nature of the business. But barbers/salons, boutique gyms, mall stores, etc? Parties wearing masks could have maybe been enough. We don't know how much spread happened at schools early on, because this conveniently perhaps thankfully blew up during spring break season. It seems like most people, even the ones who think this is a sham, are following the rules in public places. But when they get around their friends/family outside of the home and their work colleagues, the guards come down.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
. Drunk driving has been bad for a century now. .
You missed how the fights over legal blood alcohol levels were still raging in the 1990s in many locations, which is hardly a 'hundred years ago'.

Maybe if people want to go maskless, they should try the motorcycle helmet law waiver approach. Have them post a bond to cover the health care costs associated with either their own covid infection or damage caused by infecting others because, well why should I have to pay for that either through my tax dollars (Medicaid and such) or increased private health insurance premiums. Given the general cost of health care in the country and how much you can run up an ICU tab, about $2 million in cash sounds about right. Put it up and if you don't require covid-related medical care and are not traced to spreading the disease, then you get it all back on January 1, 2024. No interest paid.

How many people would go for that kind of thing if we stopped socializing the losses for making poor decisions?

As for the 'if you're scared, stay home' crowd, they're failing some basic Econ 101 concepts. The people who are staying home are now saving that money rather than spending it elsewhere and that's very very bad for a country trying to jump start the economy again. A nice explanation here:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/velocity.asp

For full economic recovery, we need the stay at homes to spend freely again and need to create an environment where they feel like they can go out to dinner or the movies or get on a plane safely again.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:24 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,694,174 times
That's Life in a WORLD PANDEMIA Folks !!!! America is waking up to something ANY of Us ever saw or had to deal with.

I used to see Orientals in Airports all over the world 30 yrs ago with MASKS ON and laugh at the stupidity.

It's no longer a FAD when it hits your own backyard. Trump never learned. I did

I wear mine, it's your damm loss if you don't, just stay away from me !!!

Old 09-27-2020, 07:53 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
So you care about the well being of others, huh? That's why you're so upset with this mask mandate?
People who prattle about "the welfare of others" or "the greater common good" usually harbor a mindset that places little trust in the rational individual's freedom, or his/her ability to reason, (though they place plenty of trust in Big Brother / Sister, the followers of which have their own agenda). They have used this pandemic as an opportunity to aggrandize their power, and to force their thinking upon all of us since the issue arose nearly a year ago. The cost, not only to those participating in the economy directly, but to the nation's financial health, has been astronomical -- won't be fully calculable for many months more, and might eventually translate to a burst of inflation unseen in forty years, if the powers-that-be decide to monetize the debt by running the printing press.

We've learned enough to recognize that not all of us face the same level of risk, that various methods of reducing that risk are known, and that further tools, such as a vaccine, are "in the works". We don't know why new cases accelerated for a time in early spring, or why the infection rate has shown signs of increasing over the past few days, but there are new places to look.

And speaking as a person who managed a less-than-first-class transient hotel for three years, I find it hard to explain why the close quarters in such places (transient laborers often ignore capacity limits, and the practice is hard to police), or that the first outbreaks of the disease were centered in older, more congested housing. have essentially been overlooked.

And a check of the county-by-county maps at the New York Times site reveals that many of the latest outbreaks are concentrated in college-centered communities (High-density housing, as anyone who's ever lived n a dormitory or a fraternity / sorority house can attest).

Sooner or later, the obsession with (unattainable) absolute security has to be replaced and supplanted with a more-rational approach.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:51 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
The scamdemic is over. It was never a plague in the first place. It's a virus that had a small death rate that the liberal media blew out of proportion for their own nefarious agenda.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:07 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The scamdemic is over. It was never a plague in the first place. It's a virus that had a small death rate that the liberal media blew out of proportion for their own nefarious agenda.
So over 200,000 deaths in six months is just collateral damage, right? Or are you in the camp that think it's killing all the right people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida