Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 06:38 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,747,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
If anything DeSantis was too strict back in April. It was silly keeping barbers shutdown like that and restaurants too and such.

FL was actually stricter than others states. Now the reported cases are way down. After Nov 4th I guess the virus will just go away.

What a joke this whole thing was.
Tell that to my friends in other states on social media who were making fun of Florida or complaining about how much more strict things were in their state comparatively this entire time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Do you think it will clear up in Brazil on November 4th too? India? Mexico?

Meantime - Canada already has few infections and few deaths - but they remain heavily restricted, probably through 2020.

Tying all your COVID dreams to Nov. 4th is to ignore the other 6.7BN people on the planet. They do not care about our election. At all.
YEESSS!!!!! This baffles my mind. America is not the only country with the virus. It is not the only country in the world. We are not the only country that reacted with shut-downs. I'm sure our fragmented shutdowns were a joke compared to other countries who took it more seriously early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
It is more so the fact that most mainstream American media outlets have heavily politized the pandemic and have created a non-stop stream of highly polarizing and sensationalized news stories that are all agenda driven. Because of this, the election will in fact have a significant impact on the pandemic here in America and how it is viewed within our country.
Yes, but I feel like that has to do with our "Earth revolves around the USA mentality." One thing I'm perplexed about is all these years, we've heard how unhealthy we are compared to other countries and how our healthcare system is so inferior. Yet, the vast majority of medical expert interviews on TV about the virus (that I saw which makes my claim anecdotal) were Americans with maybe a couple of Canadians sprinkled in there. They're plenty of English speaking countries that are in the "superior healthcare system" group, and I'm sure it wouldn't be a terrible hassle for networks to go through the process of translating if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 08:16 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Trying to act like the middle man peace maker...and then you throw down your coronabro pro-mask talking points. I see right through your act. Little pieces of cloth is not going help anybody or anything pal.

So we all must spend hours each day breathing through the very thing that cannot be touched because it is contaminated—as if microbes that collect on its outer surface would not be inhaled by the wearer, possibly including COVID-19 itself. Unlike your claim it has never been proven to limit viral spread and become so contaminated that one can’t even touch it or leave them lying around to be touched by someone else.

source: https://remnantnewspaper.com/web/ind...topheraferrara

There is a study on masking animals: it proved that masks reduced the SARS CoV2 infection spread drastically.
https://www.understandinganimalresea...ween-hamsters/

You are right about a possibility of a mask wearer receiving some viral load through the (imperfect) mask.

However, it will be a rather small amount which could become a sort of "a replacement" for a vaccine- called "a variolation", in fact acting as a vaccine and "training" your immune system to fight it off:
win-win!
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913

Many years ago it was a big fight against wearing seatbelts - until it became a norm, I bet you and your family wear a seatbelt and young children have car seats: because it saves lives!
Masks are in the same category. They save lives in infectious diseases outbreaks.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
CDC survival rates...have been unchanged in months. The policies have always been made with those rates in mind. If you didn't know that - look in the mirror.
Speaking of “unchanged,” the 6% only-COVID death figure has been around for months too and NOT a “quiet update” by the CDC on their website as some (not here as far as I know) have claimed. A Web Archive search on that same CDC website back to July, June, and earlier had that figure there with the statement about the impact of other conditions like diabetes up to 94%. It’s a shame that people, including people in the medical field, were so quick to share that false “quiet change” claim on social media a couple of weeks ago.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:11 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The short-term economy is worth thousands of dead Americans is what DeSantis is thinking. The problem is we are a tourism based economy for the most part, so if we don't make Florida a "safe" destination, the tourists for the most part will stay away.
Most intelligent post in this thread.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:39 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The short-term economy is worth thousands of dead Americans is what DeSantis is thinking. The problem is we are a tourism based economy for the most part, so if we don't make Florida a "safe" destination, the tourists for the most part will stay away.
I've been saying for months that snowbird season is toast since a lot of that older Northeast-Midwest-Canadian crowd is horrified at how little Florida is doing in terms of virus control. When the message is 'if you're vulnerable, just stay home and let the college kids party' do not be shocked when the active but elderly do just that.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:02 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,027 times
DeSantis is doing the right thing in my mind

Florida like most of the US wasn't locked down properly in the first place.

I live in Spain which had a draconian lockdown with police patrolling the streets in cars with loud speakers warning people to stay inside, if you were out without an official reason you were fined or arrested.

Luckily I was in Florida from the beginning of March until July with pretty much a normal existence during my time there, I didnt wear or own a mask until I flew back mid July.

What we can see now with all measures being taken in different countries is that Lockdowns don't work.

Despite 3 months of severe lockdown in Spain, Italy and other European countries Covid cases are no better controlled than in the US which in most part had little to no lockdowns, and in fact the EU actually overtook the US for new cases registered on the 10th of September https://fortune.com/2020/09/10/europ...d19-september/

Masks also don't work, again in Spain its been compulsory to wear a mask in all public setting since the lockdown ended, even walking down the street on your own here it is law to wear a mask, everyone here are wearing masks, even driving cars, despite this Spain's cases continue to rise and are now one of the highest in Europe.

So lockdowns and masks are obviously not working.

In Sweden where they had no lockdowns or real restrictions they have managed to keep their economy open by going down the herd immunity route, had they protected their elderly in care homes earlier on their death statistics would have been even less and we would all be following their lead by now. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/28/e...ntl/index.html

Back in July over in India in the slums of Mumbai where social distancing and masks are both a luxury unobtainable, studies found that nearly 60% of those tested had developed antibodies to Covid-19 effectively achieving herd immunity https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le32216939.ece

Given Masks and lockdowns have so obviously failed and we have no vaccine, the only rational option left is to shield the vulnerable and elderly and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

Bravo for DeSantis for recognising the obvious and having the balls to be one of the few leaders willing to do what needs to be done.

Last edited by britinspain; 09-30-2020 at 02:17 AM..

Old 09-30-2020, 07:33 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
DeSantis is doing the right thing in my mind

Florida like most of the US wasn't locked down properly in the first place.

I live in Spain which had a draconian lockdown with police patrolling the streets in cars with loud speakers warning people to stay inside, if you were out without an official reason you were fined or arrested.

Luckily I was in Florida from the beginning of March until July with pretty much a normal existence during my time there, I didnt wear or own a mask until I flew back mid July.

What we can see now with all measures being taken in different countries is that Lockdowns don't work.

Despite 3 months of severe lockdown in Spain, Italy and other European countries Covid cases are no better controlled than in the US which in most part had little to no lockdowns, and in fact the EU actually overtook the US for new cases registered on the 10th of September https://fortune.com/2020/09/10/europ...d19-september/

Masks also don't work, again in Spain its been compulsory to wear a mask in all public setting since the lockdown ended, even walking down the street on your own here it is law to wear a mask, everyone here are wearing masks, even driving cars, despite this Spain's cases continue to rise and are now one of the highest in Europe.

So lockdowns and masks are obviously not working.

In Sweden where they had no lockdowns or real restrictions they have managed to keep their economy open by going down the herd immunity route, had they protected their elderly in care homes earlier on their death statistics would have been even less and we would all be following their lead by now. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/28/e...ntl/index.html

Back in July over in India in the slums of Mumbai where social distancing and masks are both a luxury unobtainable, studies found that nearly 60% of those tested had developed antibodies to Covid-19 effectively achieving herd immunity https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le32216939.ece

Given Masks and lockdowns have so obviously failed and we have no vaccine, the only rational option left is to shield the vulnerable and elderly and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

Bravo for DeSantis for recognising the obvious and having the balls to be one of the few leaders willing to do what needs to be done.
Couldn't give reps again but 100% agree!

Old 09-30-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post

Nearly everyone is following the rules in public, but I believe not necessarily around familiar people. I can't prove it, but I believe much of the spread is due to people letting their guards down around familiar people who live outside of their home.

Pre-COVID, has anyone ever blamed their common cold, flu, etc. on a visit to Walmart, a restaurant, etc? No, it's "something is going around my child's daycare or school" or "something is going around the office." Again, us making that assumption could be wrong as we don't truly know the source of the specific virus particle that caused the illness at that time, but it could also be a correct assumption.

All that to say that if my hunch is true, then maybe the lockdowns weren't necessary. Not because they inherently ineffective, but because we would negate those public efforts through our private behaviors.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:00 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Answer: No

However, in the grand scheme of things, we’re all going to die at some point. Don’t make this issue about caring for others, of course we all do. But to the alarmists that are so concerned, remain in your cocoon —guess you’re happy as long as you continue to get economic stimulus checks.

We need to start living—wear a mask if you need to or want to—keep washing your hands and being careful around crowds. But for the vast majority of us, we need to live, not just exist.

Thank God for our governor. We dodged a bullet with his election win, otherwise we could have wound up with meth head Andrew Gillum.

Why kick the man when he is down...He has drug issue... Could be your son/brother etc. Not cool!
Just saying!

Old 09-30-2020, 07:09 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Speaking of “unchanged,” the 6% only-COVID death figure has been around for months too and NOT a “quiet update” by the CDC on their website as some (not here as far as I know) have claimed. .
dunno....here's what the state report says

Percent of people testing positive has been 4-5% for the past two months...

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_pa...rts_latest.pdf

People having symptoms has been decreasing....

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/wp-...isits-sept.jpg

..and people dying from covid has almost dropped off the chart...

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/wp-...death-sept.jpg

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida