Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 07:50 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,489,000 times

Advertisements

Even Biden sending thousands of infected illegals to Florida couldn't keep covid going there...

Old 10-28-2021, 02:30 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,880,794 times
I'm glad it's a low rate - but many reasons for that, just as there are for higher reasons in other places. The number is useful as a "trend" - but as an absolute, it ain't that reliable.

In other ways that can be measured though - like peak simultaneous hospitalizations, ICU bed use, and COVID deaths per capita - FL is near the bottom.

Congratulations, FL - you've won in a category that barely matters.

Now, a case can be made that FL was especially vulnerable, considering the aging population. Too bad your average age is lower than that of Puerto Rico - so you don't get to use that excuse.

What else ya got?

Old 10-28-2021, 02:54 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Nurse hours are being cut severely right now because there are currently TOO MANY nurses in the state, primarily due to all of the travel nurses that took on contracts here during the Covid surges. Covid numbers are down, and so are hospitalizations -- drastically.
Strange given there are over 10K new RN job listings posted within the past week in the Orlando metro area alone. Advent Health has 660 and Orlando Health around 430 to name just a couple. It would appear the disinformation is doing its job with some of you...smdh.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:37 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,752,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
2020 had many including the OP here constantly praising their beloved leader because the death toll in Florida was significantly lower than New York and death numbers were all that mattered and not case counts.

And then Delta hit and the state more than roared past New York in death count and not even crickets from the Republican death cult followers here
Yep. All of a sudden cases matter. They were big on shooting down posts in the past that expressed concerns about cases. It was all about deaths and hospitalizations. Now that are deaths have spiked, it's all about having the lowest amount of cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Cuomo was proven to be cooking the books, and he went away, yet DeSantis is still here.
But wasn't that just the classification of where they died? So let's say their count was 100. Fifty were classified as nursing home deaths when it was actually 65 because they didn't count people who left the homes to go to hospitals. But it was still 100 total. And his own party held him accountable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
How did Florida end up with one of the best COVID-19 case and death rates in the US despite Gov Ron DeSantis refusing to implement mask or vaccine mandates?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-rates-US.html
Um, school districts representing HALF of the population bucked the state rules and required masks with doctor note exceptions and the old quarantine rules. Municipalities pushed vaccines hard. DeSantis backed down on vaccine promotion after the elderly got theirs. Businesses still strongly encouraging masks. The list of businesses and municipalities "violating" state orders is long. Same deal in 2020. Municipalities and businesses (i.e. Disney/Universal) set the trends.

Even South Dakota's Kristi Noem is going after people like Abbott and DeSantis who go on national TV and act like there are no mitigations happening anywhere.

https://www.businessinsider.com/kris...andates-2021-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Nurse hours are being cut severely right now because there are currently TOO MANY nurses in the state, primarily due to all of the travel nurses that took on contracts here during the Covid surges. Covid numbers are down, and so are hospitalizations -- drastically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Strange given there are over 10K new RN job listings posted within the past week in the Orlando metro area alone. Advent Health has 660 and Orlando Health around 430 to name just a couple. It would appear the disinformation is doing its job with some of you...smdh.
Yep. I see so many articles about job fairs and such at the hospitals. Perhaps certain types of nurses are in less demand?

Old 10-28-2021, 03:49 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
ok...got it....good news is not good news when it's DeSantis

you do realize when Florida is at the bottom of the chart....49 states are worse

Old 10-28-2021, 04:18 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,752,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
ok...got it...good news is not good news when it's DeSantis

you do realize when Florida is at the bottom of the chart....49 states are worse
Here’s what I said at the end of my first reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Nevertheless, it is good news that the case numbers show that the virus is retreating. But if there is another wave, I hope case numbers aren't dismissed as they were before.
My issue isn’t dismissal or denial of the downward numbers but the sudden elevation of a stat that was quickly dismissed when it was discussed here in the past.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:25 PM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Kyle... I have been trying to be mute about this this entire time. My girlfriend is literally getting her hours cut through texts at 5AM (She's a floating critical care nurse -- Baycare) several times a week.

I can show factual text messages DM me. We've exchanged enough messages throughout the years. Knowledge is power. If you'd like to rebut that, go ahead.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

Yep. I see so many articles about job fairs and such at the hospitals. Perhaps certain types of nurses are in less demand?
For RN's? Over $30/hr? They are cutting back BIG TIME. I am not here to play this political crap that you guys do, but rather to share what is affecting me and those close to me. Nurses are losing pay BIG TIME right now, due to the influx of travel nurses who took on contracts to help with this COVID fiasco, and who are still on contract... So... They still have to get paid. Guess who DOESN'T get paid.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:33 PM

Nurses at the peak of COVID (RNs) were easily making $100k+/yr thanks to government bonuses and whatnot. The sudden drop to reality ($60-$80k) is an eye-opener. Tell me it's not without having too much brown in your eyes.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:13 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I'm glad it's a low rate - but many reasons for that, just as there are for higher reasons in other places. The number is useful as a "trend" - but as an absolute, it ain't that reliable.
In other ways that can be measured though - like peak simultaneous hospitalizations, ICU bed use, and COVID deaths per capita - FL is near the bottom.
Congratulations, FL - you've won in a category that barely matters.
Now, a case can be made that FL was especially vulnerable, considering the aging population. Too bad your average age is lower than that of Puerto Rico - so you don't get to use that excuse.
What else ya got?
Florida is nearly at the bottom...bottom being the lowest per capita

Hospitalizations....Florida is about the 10th lowest...per capita

Deaths...not so good....Florida is in about the 10th highest...per capita

...so we had less people going to the hosp.....but only slightly less people dying

I don't know how to figure that one out

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: