Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 09:34 PM

486 posts, read 517,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
CDC announcing a 4th shot? Covid cases...symptoms? ICU, death? testing positive? What really makes up a case?

Beginning to question the validity of the amount of shots required and the intelligence of the CDC. Or is this really a political issue to train and control the population. Wake up America.
I feel like having a newborn really refocuses this issue of multiple vaccines. Many of the vaccines my baby is getting have to be in multiple shots over several months. This is because to their body, each virus is a Novel one for which they have no exposure. Covid-19 is the same way, our bodies need training to fight something they do not recognize.

Anyone who had to get the Hepatitis B shot to go to college back in the 90's and 00's should also remember how this works... it was 2 shots with time between.

Anyone who did not get chicken pox as a kid in Gen X was also told to get the Chicken Pox shot once it came around. It was 2 shots 4 weeks apart. That was pretty experimental when it first came around in the 90s as well.

What is the politicizing is the anti-vaccine stuff honestly in my opinion. No one ever pitched such a fit over these other vaccines when they were first introduced.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:01 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
Cases numbers are lower (yay!) but deaths have gone up. Hopefully deaths start to decline, I am seeing this downward trend with the records I am keeping. Here's an article I read, it's NBC so some of you will not like that source.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...FlowFB_MIBrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Article
The delta wave of COVID-19 appears now to be done with Florida, which has the lowest infection rate over the last week among all states in the union.

But behind the case numbers that some are celebrating, the virus left a wave of death like none ever to hit Florida.

Gov. Ron DeSantis has been traveling the state spreading the good COVID news, telling a group Wednesday, "We have one of COVID lowest infection rates in the country and maybe the lowest."

True enough.

But the expected decline in cases comes after Florida's deadliest wave, one that hit the younger harder than ever.

So how deadly was delta?

Remember summer 2020, when no one was vaccinated and many still wore masks and avoided crowded indoor gatherings? From June 15, 2020, through Oct. 7, 2020, 13,798 Floridians died in that wave, an average of 120 a day.

Deaths started climbing again on Nov. 3, leading to a longer-term winter wave that would kill 16,296 lives before ending April 1, 2021. On average, 109 died on each of those days in Florida.

But neither wave compares to the one that began June 29, 2021. Since then, 21,224 deaths have been reported in Florida, according to the CDC data used for all these calculations. That's 173 deaths per day so far, and the numbers continue to increase as deaths from days and weeks ago are confirmed and added to the toll.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:30 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times
You don't have to blame or defend the source (NBC) - the numbers don't lie.

Lower cases are a handy trend tool - but the method of measurement there is not consistent from state to state - so it's not that useful as a comparison tool.*

But if you use the ONLY metric that matters - burdens on the health care system - you can check for yourself that FL was amongst the worst for simultaneous infections and percent (per capita) of hospital beds filled. You can also compare the number of dead people (per capita) with, say, California - or if you prefer, cuz age - Puerto Rico - and see that FL failed at that measurement too.

It's not a game. No one is winning. No one. The whole thing sucks. But if you think FL "did it right" - I think you probably should examine your definition of "right." No one believes that "right" is exclusively about the number of cases.

*For instance - some states have more business that required regular testing - so their number of cases is up. Florida does not require such testing - so even though all of FL could have an asymptomatic infection - we wouldn't know. So - number of confirmed cases is good for trending - that's about it.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:01 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
- the numbers don't lie ...
Maybe numbers don't lie, but human beings do.

Who compiles and reports numbers?

As written a long time ago, "All human beings are liars".

"Florida" doesn't do anything.

Human beings do.

Everyone wants to do business, from the executives at the pharmaceutical companies and their revolving-door representatives at every level of government, to the executives of the tourism industry and their representatives at every level of government.

More trustworthy than "numbers don't lie" ...

" ... Pecunia non olet ... "

There are winners, and there are losers.

And that's no joke.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:57 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,055,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I feel like having a newborn really refocuses this issue of multiple vaccines. Many of the vaccines my baby is getting have to be in multiple shots over several months. This is because to their body, each virus is a Novel one for which they have no exposure. Covid-19 is the same way, our bodies need training to fight something they do not recognize.

Anyone who had to get the Hepatitis B shot to go to college back in the 90's and 00's should also remember how this works... it was 2 shots with time between.

Anyone who did not get chicken pox as a kid in Gen X was also told to get the Chicken Pox shot once it came around. It was 2 shots 4 weeks apart. That was pretty experimental when it first came around in the 90s as well.

What is the politicizing is the anti-vaccine stuff honestly in my opinion. No one ever pitched such a fit over these other vaccines when they were first introduced.
Two words: Social Media, QAnon.

Couple that with years and years of a population that has been dumbed down, the rise of Talk Radio and entertainment/opinion passed off as "news" (Fox), a Reality TV show host elected as president, and an overriding notion of hostility towards education and this is what you get...

Old 11-04-2021, 02:58 PM

815 posts, read 981,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Two words: Social Media, QAnon.

Couple that with years and years of a population that has been dumbed down, the rise of Talk Radio and entertainment/opinion passed off as "news" (Fox), a Reality TV show host elected as president, and an overriding notion of hostility towards education and this is what you get...
I agree with this 100%. I have had to "break up" with several (formerly) close friends and family members over the past 2 years. Not because they have different opinions than I do, but because their ONLY sources of information are Talk Radio and opinion "news", and when I try to talk to them, I feel like we are living in two different "realities", and it is very unpleasant and confusing for me

Old 11-04-2021, 03:30 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
....like watching CNN...MSNBC....reading the New York Times....etc.....isn't it

Old 11-04-2021, 04:00 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,055,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
....like watching CNN...MSNBC....reading the New York Times....etc.....isn't it
Because...you know...reading a publication like the New York Times requires an expanded vocabulary and a reading level beyond 5th grade?

Old 11-04-2021, 06:04 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
NYT doesn't use big words.....or confusing dialogue....they target their agenda

Old 11-05-2021, 05:06 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
Florida is a mess. Will get worse when snowbirds come with their cold weather covid sickness and spread to the unvaxx population. But hey. Freedom. Good news, Florida will turn blue by sheer less Trumpsters around.
Then it will be sunshine state again. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: