Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 01:23 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,229,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
There's one on Hutchinson Island near Fort Pierce too.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 01:23 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
I ruled out solar in Florida because I'm worried that the install will cause roof leaks, and in a Tropical storm, the panels will become projectiles. They also look terrible. I never thought about it adversely impacting my homeowners coverage, so thx for adding that to my list of reasons why I won't be doing solar.

Old 08-16-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I ruled out solar in Florida because I'm worried that the install will cause roof leaks, and in a Tropical storm, the panels will become projectiles. They also look terrible. I never thought about it adversely impacting my homeowners coverage, so thx for adding that to my list of reasons why I won't be doing solar.
Well I guess we will keep paying FPL all those $$$ to stay cool. As I age, 64, I need my air.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:33 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Most insurance companies just wanna take your money and run.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Most insurance companies just wanna take your money and run.
Lol, so true especially in Sunny Florida - here today, gone tomorrow or changed their name and claim they are not liable for anything.

I feel sorry for home owners in Florida.

And renters like myself for Renters Insurance.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:51 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRetired View Post
Do you use Solar Energy or interested? I have never used it but always have had an interest. Now after reading this I guess I will never use it.

Campbell said the fact that insurance companies are denying coverage because of net-metering "which is a billing methodology" is odd.

She said this issue is happening in all over Florida, but not in the rest of the country.

So what’s keeping some insurance companies from covering solar panels? Is it political? Does it have something to do with the sway of electric companies?

"So far we don't know where it's coming from. I think it smells fishing," Campbell said. "That’s something we are 100 percent investigating."

For now, it means people who are interested in cleaner energy production are shying away from solar out of fear of losing their home insurance.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...c-cdf37bb1e2a5
Solar is a total waste of money honey in my case. Not worth spending 30k + when my power bills are 70 to 150 a month. With my luck a cane would come and rip em all off anyways. Plus i go bare blare with no Ins at all.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:53 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
I would have them in the back yard if i had to have them.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Solar is a total waste of money honey in my case. Not worth spending 30k + when my power bills are 70 to 150 a month. With my luck a cane would come and rip em all off anyways. Plus i go bare blare with no Ins at all.
Solar is not for everyone and sounds like you have some decent bills.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTwoFingers View Post
Some people just crack me up. What sense does it make to spend tons of money for solar panels without calculating the time to recapture the cost vs so-called savings. What a bunch of ignoramuses and meshuggenehs. Worse yet, some of these crazy people are over 60 years of age, or maybe retired and just might die before recapturing the acquisition costs of solar. There are practical ways in actually realizing "savings" immediately, such as installing better attic insulation, use better window coverings, using energy savings light bulbs, installing a better (now cheap) digital thermos, wrapping the water heater, turning down the water heater by 10 degrees to retard heat cycles, turn off unnecessary lights (duh), set thermo 5 degrees higher/lower, replace old worn out electric stove burners with new ones (cheap), wash and DRY clothes late at night or super early in the morning when the grid is less taxed (yep it makes a diff), update your elect service box (yep, makes a diff), use better high tech air filters and change them at least once a month (cheap), UNPLUG all chargers when not in use (yep, makes a diff), USE, mmm....ACTUALLY USE all ceiling fans on low speed (yep, makes a diff), UNPLUG any appliances when not in use (why oh why is your toaster and coffee machine or blender plugged in?), adjust the BLOWER speed on the air handler (up or down...more air speed may, I say may help)...

ALL kinds of things/adjustments that can result in real savings. Savings ain't spending thousands on SOLAR. Crazy.
Good Morning, everyone has to do things their way. You do have some awesome tips, thank you Lol, I let other folks "live their lives" their way. If they want to "waste money" not my biz.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:34 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRetired View Post
With nuclear, which I am not an expert on, what about all those incidents with it over the years?
There have been very few incidents, and the ones that were bad were due to poor design or bad location, and didn't happen in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida