Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 07:53 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,227,719 times

Advertisements

Do you use Solar Energy or interested? I have never used it but always have had an interest. Now after reading this I guess I will never use it.

Campbell said the fact that insurance companies are denying coverage because of net-metering "which is a billing methodology" is odd.

She said this issue is happening in all over Florida, but not in the rest of the country.

So what’s keeping some insurance companies from covering solar panels? Is it political? Does it have something to do with the sway of electric companies?

"So far we don't know where it's coming from. I think it smells fishing," Campbell said. "That’s something we are 100 percent investigating."

For now, it means people who are interested in cleaner energy production are shying away from solar out of fear of losing their home insurance.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...c-cdf37bb1e2a5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTwoFingers View Post
It's really not hard to understand based on the overall issue of liability....of all kinds

Florida, unlike some states, requires solar systems above a certain generating capacity to carry a $1 million liability policy to protect the grid, electricians and line workers. The Florida Public Service Commission rules note the cutoff is 10 kilowatts of generated power. From the insurance company's perspective, there is greater risk of claims (both physical and liability claims) when net-metering occurs. Also, guaranteeing that your solar panels are insured correctly can be an issue, as various companies insure them in different ways.

It's not political, it actually seems preventative and logical....electricity can be a wee bit dangerous and complicated, downlink and uplink.
Thanks for the info!

Lol, I guess I will need to go hide somewhere in the wods off grid to set mine up.

On a serious note, increasing cost to keep cool in Florida is affecting a lot of folks. I was thinking Solar Energy would be the way to go. Oh well....

Old 08-16-2022, 08:28 AM

417 posts, read 267,481 times
Quote:
It's really not hard to understand based on the overall issue of liability....of all kinds

Florida, unlike some states, requires solar systems above a certain generating capacity to carry a $1 million liability policy to protect the grid, electricians and line workers. The Florida Public Service Commission rules note the cutoff is 10 kilowatts of generated power. From the insurance company's perspective, there is greater risk of claims (both physical and liability claims) when net-metering occurs. Also, guaranteeing that your solar panels are insured correctly can be an issue, as various companies insure them in different ways.

It's not political, it actually seems preventative and logical....electricity can be a wee bit dangerous and complicated, downlink and uplink.
Thanks, good info!

Old 08-16-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Don't believe that "being GREEN" is somehow free, easy, cheaper, safer or anything else.

Electricity is produced mostly by fossil fuels...then a bit nuclear which is probably the "cleanest" around, but the eco-freaks don't even support nuclear, and refuse to accept than solar is fine but very limited, even unreliable.

Heck, they even like very very clean natural gas, which is sorta crazy as well.

Some of these eco-freaks should have spent more time studying physics AND economics.
With nuclear, which I am not an expert on, what about all those incidents with it over the years?

Old 08-16-2022, 09:00 AM

5,152 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRetired View Post
Do you use Solar Energy or interested? I have never used it but always have had an interest. Now after reading this I guess I will never use it.

Campbell said the fact that insurance companies are denying coverage because of net-metering "which is a billing methodology" is odd.

She said this issue is happening in all over Florida, but not in the rest of the country.

So what’s keeping some insurance companies from covering solar panels? Is it political? Does it have something to do with the sway of electric companies?

"So far we don't know where it's coming from. I think it smells fishing," Campbell said. "That’s something we are 100 percent investigating."

For now, it means people who are interested in cleaner energy production are shying away from solar out of fear of losing their home insurance.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...c-cdf37bb1e2a5
We have good friends that this happened to. They were able to get reinsured with another company but now realize if they had to do it again in deciding to choose solar they might not have gone with solar.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We have good friends that this happened to. They were able to get reinsured with another company but now realize if they had to do it again in deciding to choose solar they might not have gone with solar.
Was there a reason for not doing Solar again? Did they save using it? I have heard of some states giving out rebates for using Solar.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:22 AM

Anyone living where these plants are located?

How many nuclear power plants are in Florida?

Florida is home to five commercial nuclear reactors located at three sites, Crystal River, St. Lucie (Jensen Beach) and Homestead. The reactor located at Crystal River Nuclear Power Plant Site has been decommissioned for some time now and there are no plans to restart it.

Radiological Emergency Program | Florida Disaster

https://www.floridadisaster.org/dem/...l-hazards/rep/

Old 08-16-2022, 10:42 AM

5,152 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Quote:
Was there a reason for not doing Solar again? Did they save using it? I have heard of some states giving out rebates for using Solar.
Long story short as we know Florida insurance companies are coming down hard on roof replacements. Their roof was in great shape but I believe they could not get renewed unless they replaced it. To do that they had to have the solar company remove the panels and then reinstall after the roof was put on. It was at that time the insurance company said they could not insure do to the net metering. They found another insurance company but at an increased price.

They loved the solar and their return with lower electric bills was great but having to deal with the insurance company’s, having to pay for removal and reinstallation and the increased cost of home owners insurance kind of had them questioning the benefits of solar.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Long story short as we know Florida insurance companies are coming down hard on roof replacements. Their roof was in great shape but I believe they could not get renewed unless they replaced it. To do that they had to have the solar company remove the panels and then reinstall after the roof was put on. It was at that time the insurance company said they could not insure do to the net metering. They found another insurance company but at an increased price.

They loved the solar and their return with lower electric bills was great but having to deal with the insurance company’s, having to pay for removal and reinstallation and the increased cost of home owners insurance kind of had them questioning the benefits of solar.
Yikes, what a pain that was!!

Old 08-16-2022, 01:19 PM

25,712 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Quote:
Anyone living where these plants are located?

How many nuclear power plants are in Florida?

Florida is home to five commercial nuclear reactors located at three sites, Crystal River, St. Lucie (Jensen Beach) and Homestead. The reactor located at Crystal River Nuclear Power Plant Site has been decommissioned for some time now and there are no plans to restart it.

Radiological Emergency Program | Florida Disaster

https://www.floridadisaster.org/dem/...l-hazards/rep/
There's one on Hutchinson Island near Fort Pierce too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida