Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:37 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
There are exceptions, However, The majority of girls in Florida are only looking for models or guys with money or both. Atleast, I'll say the girls between 18-30. When you start getting to the girls that are 30 or older they start to get a little more desperate because the guys with money get someone younger and the models have extra girls on the side.

I would say that there are the girls that will rarely go out anywhere then complain that they can't meet anyone, ect, ect. That's their faults, no one elses.

I was 17-18-19-ish and looking in Tampa and later when I moved back to FL was 21-22ish looking in Ft. Myers and found the same although the girls I met in Ft. Myers seemed to be nicer and little more exotic. Either way, I'm guessing the girls in Florida want to meet a man that can provide them with the " ideal Florida lifestyle " I couldn't do it because I was money-less and struggling.

Hindsight, Now that I have college and a good job I could probably go to Florida and get a plastic, man made queen but I'm over that. I have a great wife and life is good.
I was just short of my 22nd birthday. I came to Gainesville because of a guy (long story). Even though I was living in a college town, which was somewhat progressive and not a beach area, I found I had absolutely nothing in common with the young people in that area. My former life was so totally unlike their's. I grew up in NYC. I worked for a major corporation. I had been to so many world renowed night spots there and across the US and Europe. I met people from all over the world --- very worldly, well educated, wealthy people. I had travelled myself alone around the world by the age of 22. I simply had nothing whatsoever in common with any of the young people in that area. The majority of them had never been outside of Florida, let alone, NYC, Chicago, San Fran, London, Rome, Geneva, etc., etc. It was all very, very boring to me. The conversations were cut short very, very early. Sorry, but it was all too parochial for me. After a while, I felt as if I was experiencing brain freeze. Money and good looks had nothing to do with it.

I missed my former life, the 4 seasons, my friends, and everything else that went with it. Nothing here could even come close to it when I was 22, no not even a major city like Miami, which I had been to, could compare.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I was just short of my 22nd birthday. I came to Gainesville because of a guy (long story). Even though I was living in a college town, which was somewhat progressive and not a beach area, I found I had absolutely nothing in common with the young people in that area. My former life was so totally unlike their's. I grew up in NYC. I worked for a major corporation. I had been to so many world renowed night spots there and across the US and Europe. I met people from all over the world --- very worldly, well educated, wealthy people. I had travelled myself alone around the world by the age of 22. I simply had nothing whatsoever in common with any of the young people in that area. The majority of them had never been outside of Florida, let alone, NYC, Chicago, San Fran, London, Rome, Geneva, etc., etc. It was all very, very boring to me. The conversations were cut short very, very early. Sorry, but it was all too parochial for me. After a while, I felt as if I was experiencing brain freeze. Money and good looks had nothing to do with it.

I missed my former life, the 4 seasons, my friends, and everything else that went with it. Nothing here could even come close to it when I was 22, no not even a major city like Miami, which I had been to, could compare.
Interesting,while a bit older than 22 I feel like that where I am now. Good post!

Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM

8 posts, read 36,381 times
I agree with your comment about the people, conversations, etc. My family has always traveled, every year my family and I visit Europe and we travel in the US as well, but the majority of the people that I meet have no desire at all to travel outside the US. They are from other states for the most part, but Florida is exotic to them...London, Paris, Berlin...they have no desire to see them and when I talk of our trips all you get is a blank stare. New York gets such a bad rap, "Why do you want to go there you will just get mugged". And speaking of Gainesville, I have to agree you would think that a college town would have a little more sophistication-but they don't. We are two weeks away from another trip-this time we are traveling the East Coast all the way to Maine. I would appreciate any suggestion that anyone could make on places we might be interested in. I can live in a smaller town as long as I have access to a big town with museums, city live, etc....as I said before would love New York or Boston but we cannot afford, coming from Florida where we are paid very little we need to find somewhere that we can afford to start again.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:27 PM

464 posts, read 1,742,072 times
When I get down to Crestview to live, I sure hope there are some ladies in their 40 or 50's that have life figured out and who love the Lord . Ill be looking for a godly woman to have as a very good friend and in return ill treat her with alot of love, respect, and honor and make her glad shes my friend.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:36 PM

41 posts, read 215,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I've noticed that current Florida residents like to say to themselves and others that most of the problems today, high insurance costs, high rent costs, crime, poor economy, ect, ect, ect exist in other states too.

Yes, those things are in almost every other state, HOWEVER... they are nowhere near the scale that they are in Florida.

Even California pays higher wages then Florida.
California does pay more but the homes are more expensive than FL too.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlivan View Post
California does pay more but the homes are more expensive than FL too.
Depends on the areas, honestly.

Florida/California rent is basically the same from what I've gathered.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 PM

17 posts, read 68,778 times
Degrees are worthless. It's all about who can kiss ass the best and pretend to be friends with their coworkers while stabbing them in the back the best. It's all a bunch of bull****. You're better off working for yourself. These jobs paying ten bucks an hour and requiring a degree are a joke to say the least. You can mow people's lawns and earn double that per hour. I am a champion for entrepreneurship especially in places like South Florida where the cost of living is high and jobs pay next to nothing.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 PM

17 posts, read 68,778 times
Default 460K will get you a cardboard box in NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
for $475,000. The house next door to me here in Naples sold in June for $460,000. Please tell me how taking a major pay cut in Florida, as opposed to the almost double salaries in NY, is going to help paying for that house like that?
460K will get you a nice small studio in NYC. If someone qualified for a loan for 460K they must have the money to afford it. Getting loans these days is a beast. You pretty much have to be a millionaire or have no debt. How many Americans fall into either of those categories?

Old 09-06-2008, 07:15 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofnova View Post
460K will get you a nice small studio in NYC. If someone qualified for a loan for 460K they must have the money to afford it. Getting loans these days is a beast. You pretty much have to be a millionaire or have no debt. How many Americans fall into either of those categories?

Um, not exactly. My fiance and I got approved at the bank and we make around 115,000 together. We're going to buy a 1 or 2 bedroom co-op, which are going for anywhere from 170k and up. It isn't nearly as expensive as you think. These are garden apartments in good condition too.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:17 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Um, not exactly. My fiance and I got approved at the bank and we make around 115,000 together. We're going to buy a 1 or 2 bedroom co-op, which are going for anywhere from 170k and up. It isn't nearly as expensive as you think. These are garden apartments in good condition too.
Thank you for putting to rest the exagerrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida