Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:20 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
It is, as reaffirmed by the Supreme Court in the Heller decision.

My wife lived in Manhattan for eight years and never had a problem, fwiw...

Regardless, in FL, if you are of good character, it is easy to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. see Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS

Carrying concealed makes more sense. I haven't found it (work firewall blocks most of the good sites) but there were figures released that showed the crime rate for Florida CCW holders, non CCW holders, and the police in Fla. CCW holders had a lower rate of being convicted of a crime than the police! They also hit a greater percentage of the time when they DID have to shoot someone.

I have an out of state one...best insurance I have when I visit the dirty streets of Vero Beach and Disney....
As far as carrying in hot weather, there are several options. I like a fanny pack. Since I'm there as a tourist it fits the look....
Something small and relaible-like a S&W airweight- in a pocket is just fine. Something larger for the car or under a jacket.

Crime in Canada or Europe for that matter- look at the crime rates for nationalities here in the US. Japanese Americans have a lower crime rate than Japanese in Japan. English, Swedish, etc....are the same.

Places like England and Australia have huge rates of houses being burglarized while someone is at home. They know they have little to fear from the homeowners.
to NOT own a gun. It is also a citizen's right to refuse anyone with a gun to enter their own personal property. Remember, your rights as a citizen end, where mine begin.

Besides, this ruling just said bans were illegal. It did not say that states could not impose rules and regulations regarding permits, licenses, registration, fees, etc., etc.

Florida just happens to be one state were the rules and regulations are very, very lax.

Regarding that new "Take you guns to Work" law, there have been a rash of car breakins in the parking lot where my husband works. Any valuables left in the cars are stolen. It has never happened before in the 4 years he has been working there. I wonder how many GUNS have been stolen in those parking lots? Hmmmmm? My husband even mentioned that he is glad that he doesn't keep his gun in his car. Actually, even though he HAS a carry permit, the gun stayed locked up in the HOUSE. He just got that carry permit because, he "could". Makes no sense to me whatsoever. Total waste of money in more ways than one.

Last edited by TANaples; 08-14-2008 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

Florida just happens to be one state were the rules and regulations are very, very lax.
I think the gun laws in Florida are way too overeaching. Hardly lax.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
I never thought of carrying something in a fanny pack. EXCELLENT suggestion. That way I can still dress in a t-shirt and shorts and still carry. That's excellent.

Now if only I won't be mistaken for a member of the gay community...I've heard fanny packs are a sign of such...just hearsay mind you...I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Carlos
Carlos, that will immediately identify you as carrying. I'm not sure that non-citizens can get a CCW.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Carlos, that will immediately identify you as carrying. I'm not sure that non-citizens can get a CCW.
See Ma...see what I mean...everybody thinks I am an illegal Mexican immigrant...a homeless bum who picks his toejam in his truck, and who can't be bothered to get a normal job LOL. (Man...I sure hope I didn't gross anyone out).

Well...not everybody. Just kidding Lilybeans but seriously what made you think I am not a US citizen? Is my accent that bad? LOL.

If you poke me and draw blood you will undoubtedly hear the Star Spangled Banner come forth! Though I have been embarrased to be an American at times in recent years - yes, I am an American!

Now as to why carrying a fanny pack would immediately identify me as carrying? I have no idea. Care to elaborate on that Lilybeans? I mean I would hate to be thought of as carrying just because I might use a fanny pack.

By the way...does anybody know if fanny packs are a sign of being gay? I am genuinely curious. You can PM me if you want to keep this thread on topic.

Carlos

Last edited by carlos123; 08-14-2008 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Fixed spelling and grammatical errors...why do I have to say what I did every time? Cheesh....

Old 08-15-2008, 05:01 AM

Quote:
See Ma...see what I mean...everybody thinks I am an illegal Mexican immigrant...a homeless bum who picks his toejam in his truck, and who can't be bothered to get a normal job LOL. (Man...I sure hope I didn't gross anyone out).

Well...not everybody. Just kidding Lilybeans but seriously what made you think I am not a US citizen? Is my accent that bad? LOL.

Carlos
What made me think you weren't a US citizen was your location-you said you live in Canada. That's all.

If you are a US citizen, you can keep a gun in your car without a CCW, as long as certain rules are followed, and you can get a CCW, which you should apply for as soon as you get here. Residents of other states are also eligible to obtain a Florida CCW.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,787 times
Quote:
Hi there,

I am wondering...since it gets hot down there... is it legal like in Texas to carry a sidearm? Or at the very least a Taser (which looks like a sidearm until it is taken out of it's holster)?

Carlos
Please define "Like in Texas". Open carry is illegal in both Texas and Florda.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Please define "Like in Texas". Open carry is illegal in both Texas and Florda.
I guess I am displaying some ignorance on this issue then....I was under the impression that Texans can carry a six-shooter around strapped to their sides, like in the days of the West.

I'll have to better inform myself....

Carlos

Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
I guess I am displaying some ignorance on this issue then....I was under the impression that Texans can carry a six-shooter around strapped to their sides, like in the days of the West.

Carlos
Come on Carlos this is 2008! You walk around carrying a six-shooter in the open strapped to your side and the cops will be happy to unload their six-shooters into you.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:03 PM

I think I've been watching too many Westerns or daydreaming too much about how I am going to deal with the next set of punks that bother me. LOL.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Carlos
You can do that in Arizona, and Virginia, among others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida