Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:12 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,834,031 times

Advertisements

I said something similar about the cold etc., before I left. Now I miss it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:07 PM

177 posts, read 686,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Your tolerance for the negatives (the costs of living, closeness of family, the taxes, the questionable schools, the hurricane potential, the crime, the unemployment & poor job outlook, HOA's, devalued housing ....) all need to be considered on your life's balance. Florida could become a "dream come true", or "your worst nightmare", depending upon your objectivity and willingness to deal with those murky waters.
We are planning to move to FL from SC so let's see how we consider those negatives:
1. Cost of living - According to cost of living websites not that much more than Upstate SC, now that housing is more affordable
2. Close of family - they live in PA, MA, and WI - DW can't take the cold in SC where we live now so moving back to family is not an option
3. Taxes - $180K or less to keep taxes lower - in overall taxes FL comes out well in national surveys
4. Questionable schools - N/A - empty nesters
5. Hurricane potential - have good insurance and leave town whenever one is near - we lived in Texas near the Gulf so we have some experience with this.
6. Crime - live in a low crime suburb
7. Unemployment and job outlook - N/A - retired
8. HOA's - have one now - we would look for a low cost one
9. Devalued housing - is a plus to someone moving in. We wouldn't move to FL if the homes were still priced as they were in 2006.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:42 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,797,767 times
Dlhanson-

You would be fine in Florida.

A few comments:
-Home insurance is outrageous no matter how you look at it. I don't know how it compares to the Gulf coast of Texas.

-Heat and humidity. Some see this as a positive, others as a negative. Something to think about. I'm talking about summertime.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:10 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,103,079 times
Quote:
I would have to say that I concur with your thoughts for about two months of the year, in terms of weather only. Floridians (and non-Floridians viewing reality with their blinders on) are savoring the winter month average temperatures that are commonplace in my area of the country for 75% of the year. For those 2-3 months of "winter in shorts", they will forget that their state is being slammed by the reality of economics. The population of working poor and growing unemployment are unable to sustain a state economy that has long-relied upon a faltering real estate/tourism market to keep it afloat. Foreclosures are rampant because residents simply cannot make enough money to pay the mortgages, the relentless taxes (both property and exasperating nuisance on virtually everything), and the hurricane/homeowner insurance fees. Crime statistics in too many Florida cities are beginning to mirror those major cities nationally that are hotbeds of drugs, gangs, serious crime and rampant unemployment. The troubled and underfunded Florida public schools are nearing 50% of the students needing free or reduced lunches to subsidize for the poverty at home. And 2-3 months of Florida winter relief can compensate for a disaster waiting to happen?

It is easy to sugarcoat a very dismal situation when one focuses upon the perceived natural amenities or weather of an area only.
I hate to be arguementative, but now that I live here, and have travelled around a bit, I'm not sure I agree with you. The housing market here really is pretty bad, but it is affordable, and people are buying down here. The crime down here is overly exaggerated. There is a perspective, and tolarance, to consider when forming an opinion, and coming from South Baltimore, I can tell you what has been described as a bad area here (just by driving through), is not near as bad as it is elsewhere. The thing is, that it isn't just the weather, or the sun light, there is much more at play when you can enjoy going out and taking advantage of all the social happenings that are going on here year round. Some people have talked about the area being culturally lacking - well that isn't true at all - if you look for it.

The taxes are not worse here than other places in the Northeast either. Taxes in NY MD MA and other places are much worse than they are here. Energy costs are much less here because you don't use near as much. And there are a lot of other reasons to come here and enjoy more out of life, although the weather and sun light certainly contribute. The truth of it all is the love of life, and enjoyment you get out of it, has to start from within.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,195,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I hate to be arguementative, but now that I live here, and have travelled around a bit, I'm not sure I agree with you. The housing market here really is pretty bad, but it is affordable, and people are buying down here. The crime down here is overly exaggerated. There is a perspective, and tolarance, to consider when forming an opinion, and coming from South Baltimore, I can tell you what has been described as a bad area here (just by driving through), is not near as bad as it is elsewhere. The thing is, that it isn't just the weather, or the sun light, there is much more at play when you can enjoy going out and taking advantage of all the social happenings that are going on here year round. Some people have talked about the area being culturally lacking - well that isn't true at all - if you look for it.

The taxes are not worse here than other places in the Northeast either. Taxes in NY MD MA and other places are much worse than they are here. Energy costs are much less here because you don't use near as much. And there are a lot of other reasons to come here and enjoy more out of life, although the weather and sun light certainly contribute. The truth of it all is the love of life, and enjoyment you get out of it, has to start from within.
Another great post from the "Big House." I especially love (and agree with) the last sentence.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:32 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,677,744 times
This hard to put into words, but I feel like my senses are being deprived here without the 4 seasons. Let me try this. The first thing I did when I stepped off the plane up north two weeks ago was to take a deep breath in of the cold air. I felt so GOOD. I went out at 8 AM on Sunday morning to feel the fresh snowflakes on my face. I walked around, without a single soul outside looking up and tasting the snow on my lips.

I could smell the woodburning fireplaces. I could even smell the aromas of roast beef cooking in ovens. I slept those nights in my flannel pjs under the nice warm blankets while I fell asleep to the sounds of the winds and snow hitting the windowpanes. Those 3 nights I got the best sleep I have in almost 2 years since moving to Florida.

The Fall and the Spring seasons also have their own unique sensations. Yes, I do miss the weather of these other seasons, but there is so much more to them than temperatures.

It is very, very lacking here. Everything is always the same.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,103,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
This hard to put into words, but I feel like my senses are being deprived here without the 4 seasons. Let me try this. The first thing I did when I stepped off the plane up north two weeks ago was to take a deep breath in of the cold air. I felt so GOOD. I went out at 8 AM on Sunday morning to feel the fresh snowflakes on my face. I walked around, without a single soul outside looking up and tasting the snow on my lips.

I could smell the woodburning fireplaces. I could even smell the aromas of roast beef cooking in ovens. I slept those nights in my flannel pjs under the nice warm blankets while I fell asleep to the sounds of the winds and snow hitting the windowpanes. Those 3 nights I got the best sleep I have in almost 2 years since moving to Florida.

The Fall and the Spring seasons also have their own unique sensations. Yes, I do miss the weather of these other seasons, but there is so much more to them than temperatures.

It is very, very lacking here. Everything is always the same.
Hey Tan, You don't need to move back to NY, you need to move to Alaska (the Northern Tundra!)

Old 01-30-2009, 03:32 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,038,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
We are planning to move to FL from SC so let's see how we consider those negatives:
1. Cost of living - According to cost of living websites not that much more than Upstate SC, now that housing is more affordable
2. Close of family - they live in PA, MA, and WI - DW can't take the cold in SC where we live now so moving back to family is not an option
3. Taxes - $180K or less to keep taxes lower - in overall taxes FL comes out well in national surveys
4. Questionable schools - N/A - empty nesters
5. Hurricane potential - have good insurance and leave town whenever one is near - we lived in Texas near the Gulf so we have some experience with this.
6. Crime - live in a low crime suburb
7. Unemployment and job outlook - N/A - retired
8. HOA's - have one now - we would look for a low cost one
9. Devalued housing - is a plus to someone moving in. We wouldn't move to FL if the homes were still priced as they were in 2006.
It sounds like you are well on your way to realizing your dream. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:44 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,038,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post

BH,

For this weekend only, there is not a place in the world that I would rather be than Pittsburgh. It's wet, cold, dark and the stock market is in the chronic doldrums, but the Steelers are in the Super Bowl. The mood of the city is glowing. For Florida, it's the sunshine. For Pittsburgh (and the large national following), it's the Steelers. Now, when Monday arrives....

It's interesting that you compare Florida taxes to NY, MD, and MA regions; places that are hubs for higher paying jobs, BENEFITS, renowned schools (especially the universities); diversified economies and limited winter sunshine; long-standing and strong pro sports. These are also places that will have higher utility bills in the winter months, have basements (more usable living space), and will often have home windows open for up to 8 months of the year. The number of foreclosures and homeowners owing more than their houses are worth in Florida dwarf any of the three states that you mention. Maybe houses are more affordable for those with SOH and portablity benefits, but is a money pit for any out-of state owner or anyone wishing to own Florida investment properties. Taxes upon the wealthy Florida resident are most definitely reasonable, but not for those struggling to make ends meet in a Florida economy (that is too dependent upon the tourist dollar and unbridled real estate development). Not sure how the Florida cultural scene can even come close to New York, Massachusetts, or the DC region??

As I had posted earlier, establishing residence in any area is a complete package deal with both the positives and the negatives. For far too many, the sunshine, humidity, and the beaches are the lone factors for their potential happiness .... Florida is their "Utopia". Unfortunately, there is no such place as Utopia, and Florida needs to progress from being just a place of dreams ( or far too many lost dreams).

Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,677,744 times
Default Excellent post

Quote:
BH,

For this weekend only, there is not a place in the world that I would rather be than Pittsburgh. It's wet, cold, dark and the stock market is in the chronic doldrums, but the Steelers are in the Super Bowl. The mood of the city is glowing. For Florida, it's the sunshine. For Pittsburgh (and the large national following), it's the Steelers. Now, when Monday arrives....

It's interesting that you compare Florida taxes to NY, MD, and MA regions; places that are hubs for higher paying jobs, BENEFITS, renowned schools (especially the universities); diversified economies and limited winter sunshine; long-standing and strong pro sports. These are also places that will have higher utility bills in the winter months, have basements (more usable living space), and will often have home windows open for up to 8 months of the year. The number of foreclosures and homeowners owing more than their houses are worth in Florida dwarf any of the three states that you mention. Maybe houses are more affordable for those with SOH and portablity benefits, but is a money pit for any out-of state owner or anyone wishing to own Florida investment properties. Taxes upon the wealthy Florida resident are most definitely reasonable, but not for those struggling to make ends meet in a Florida economy (that is too dependent upon the tourist dollar and unbridled real estate development). Not sure how the Florida cultural scene can even come close to New York, Massachusetts, or the DC region??

As I had posted earlier, establishing residence in any area is a complete package deal with both the positives and the negatives. For far too many, the sunshine, humidity, and the beaches are the lone factors for their potential happiness .... Florida is their "Utopia". Unfortunately, there is no such place as Utopia, and Florida needs to progress from being just a place of dreams ( or far too many lost dreams).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida