Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:53 AM

255 posts, read 758,081 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Central Florida for nearly 13 years now and I am originally from New Jersey also. I grew up in the "city" and we were transfered here when my oldest was an infant. The change was awesome when we first got here, the weather, the ability to visit so many different beautiful beaches, a "country-type" atmosphere yet still close to the city for culture. We thought we had it made! Well, then the kids started to get older, the neighborhood started to build up and the bills started to creap up...and we started to get home-sick. We started to miss the change of season, the more city friendliness that we had where I grew up and the "regular" shopping we had outside of the tourist area. The beaches are still beautiful, but the heat started getting to us and then the price of gas stopped us from visiting the places we loved, so we thought being "home" sounded better. Due to medical conditions we were advised to move out of Florida so we investigated a few different areas and fell in love all over again. Then I had to sit down and really think about what I was going to do...give up Florida just because it was HOT?!? Just because the price of living got a bit higher? Because I didn't have the "home" feeling I had up north?

Instead I just started thinking what would make me happy Here. First things first, I needed to find the area that I felt most like "home"; this took a while but I found one. Next, I had to figure out what would make me comfortable living in this area...Definately a Pool! Nice family friendly neighborhoods with kids outside playing in a happy, secure neighborhood with "regular" shopping near by and a welcoming feeling from the people that lived there. Yes, the bills were getting higher but they are everywhere so I just make sure I have all the things that would make me comfy where I"m at and then I will feel better. I have found my little nitch right here in Central Florida with an excellent school, neighborhood, church, activities, and house complete with a pool Life is much easier to enjoy if you are not uncomfortable in your own skin. Be like the lizards and shed your old skin to feel comfortable in your new skin. Sounds like you just really need to investigate and find your little nitch, just maybe not in Sarasota. If you give Florida a serious chance, I'm sure you can find an area that you will be just as happy in.

Best of luck to you and remember the highway up north goes both ways...so maybe you just need to be able to visit your previous home more often to appreciate your new home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:09 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,677,744 times
Default I have been home twice in the past 4 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
We have lived in Central Florida for nearly 13 years now and I am originally from New Jersey also. I grew up in the "city" and we were transfered here when my oldest was an infant. The change was awesome when we first got here, the weather, the ability to visit so many different beautiful beaches, a "country-type" atmosphere yet still close to the city for culture. We thought we had it made! Well, then the kids started to get older, the neighborhood started to build up and the bills started to creap up...and we started to get home-sick. We started to miss the change of season, the more city friendliness that we had where I grew up and the "regular" shopping we had outside of the tourist area. The beaches are still beautiful, but the heat started getting to us and then the price of gas stopped us from visiting the places we loved, so we thought being "home" sounded better. Due to medical conditions we were advised to move out of Florida so we investigated a few different areas and fell in love all over again. Then I had to sit down and really think about what I was going to do...give up Florida just because it was HOT?!? Just because the price of living got a bit higher? Because I didn't have the "home" feeling I had up north?

Instead I just started thinking what would make me happy Here. First things first, I needed to find the area that I felt most like "home"; this took a while but I found one. Next, I had to figure out what would make me comfortable living in this area...Definately a Pool! Nice family friendly neighborhoods with kids outside playing in a happy, secure neighborhood with "regular" shopping near by and a welcoming feeling from the people that lived there. Yes, the bills were getting higher but they are everywhere so I just make sure I have all the things that would make me comfy where I"m at and then I will feel better. I have found my little nitch right here in Central Florida with an excellent school, neighborhood, church, activities, and house complete with a pool Life is much easier to enjoy if you are not uncomfortable in your own skin. Be like the lizards and shed your old skin to feel comfortable in your new skin. Sounds like you just really need to investigate and find your little nitch, just maybe not in Sarasota. If you give Florida a serious chance, I'm sure you can find an area that you will be just as happy in.

Best of luck to you and remember the highway up north goes both ways...so maybe you just need to be able to visit your previous home more often to appreciate your new home
I am going back again next week for an extended MLK weekend. It is going to be 14 degrees. There is a chance for 5-8 inches of snow also. I CANNOT WAIT. Each time I go back it gets harder and harder to come back to FLORIDA.

I suppose when you DON'T move to Florida for the weather in the first place, there isn't much to keep you here. Moving to a different part of Florida won't make any difference.

I should start a poll on this. Who DIDN'T move to Florida for WEATHER? I am sure the answer to that will be very, very few people. Florida has very little else going for it except the weather and beaches.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 AM

831 posts, read 2,440,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
Istead I just started thinking what would make me happy Life is much easier to enjoy if you are not uncomfortable in your own skin. ..so maybe you just need to be able to visit your previous home more often to appreciate your new home
A while back I had done some of the things you suggested (not moving around the state though) and the end result was to move back home. Once you visit it just makes you more home sick and you kick yourself saying "what the hell was I thinking" Unfortunetly the real estate market is terrible so it will just take me a little longer, but just knowing that I reached my final decision has given me happiness. I am the most confident out going person so being "comfortable in your own skin" has nothing to do with hating where you live. I won't hesitate to give up my beautiful home here and move back to a shack if I have to. Materialistic things mean nothing to me. Its the quality of life and I just didn't find it in Florida. I'm glad you found yours though.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am going back again next week for an extended MLK weekend. It is going to be 14 degrees. There is a chance for 5-8 inches of snow also. I CANNOT WAIT. Each time I go back it gets harder and harder to come back to FLORIDA.

I suppose when you DON'T move to Florida for the weather in the first place, there isn't much to keep you here. Moving to a different part of Florida won't make any difference.

I should start a poll on this. Who DIDN'T move to Florida for WEATHER? I am sure the answer to that will be very, very few people. Florida has very little else going for it except the weather and beaches.

Your reading my mind

Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,677,744 times
Thumbs up Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
A while back I had done some of the things you suggested (not moving around the state though) and the end result was to move back home. Once you visit it just makes you more home sick and you kick yourself saying "what the hell was I thinking" Unfortunetly the real estate market is terrible so it will just take me a little longer, but just knowing that I reached my final decision has given me happiness. I am the most confident out going person so being "comfortable in your own skin" has nothing to do with hating where you live. I won't hesitate to give up my beautiful home here and move back to a shack if I have to. Materialistic things mean nothing to me. Its the quality of life and I just didn't find it in Florida. I'm glad you found yours though.
When we went home for Thanksgiving to see our daughter, we rented a very small cottage in Huntington Harbor, NY. It was very, very tiny. lol I absolutely loved being there even though it was so small, and somebody elses home. I felt like I was home. I wish I could have traded it for what I have here which is much larger, on a lake, and on the golf course. This place means nothing to me even though we own it. I would rather be in that tiny cottage in NY than in my home in Florida on the lake, on the golf course. Hell, if I was on the BEACH here I would still trade it for anywhere there.

I know exactly what you mean.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,933,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I live in Sarasota. I have friends on the east coast as well most have similar experiences. I am not trying to bash Florida but just want people to look past the weather and be realistic. I have found people don't call it "home" here.
I have made MANY posts to people from up north that the cost of living here in FL (I live in SE FL) is not that inexpensive. But they continue to dispute my posts. Then they wind up miserable.

I do dispute that kids don't play outside here. It's not that hot this time of the year and kids do play outside. Have your kids joined a local sports league? My kids met most of thier friends while playing football (outdoors) and lacrosse (also outdoors).

Families do socialize together. You just don't know anyone yet.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I have made MANY posts to people from up north that the cost of living here in FL (I live in SE FL) is not that inexpensive. But they continue to dispute my posts. Then they wind up miserable.

I do dispute that kids don't play outside here. It's not that hot this time of the year and kids do play outside. Have your kids joined a local sports league? My kids met most of thier friends while playing football (outdoors) and lacrosse (also outdoors).

Families do socialize together. You just don't know anyone yet.

I have lived here for 4 years. Believe me I have tried. I have found people just keep to themselves. Noone seems to trust anyone here.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:10 PM

52 posts, read 178,377 times
Sounds like a lot of "the grass is greener on the other side". Just today, I had to warm my car up, get the coat, hat, scarf, gloves and boots on just to get to the grocery store. I love a nice Sunday morning where you get to put the cart full of goodies around the parking lot in a nice snow/slush mix. drying off my pants after they're soaking wet from snow is a blast! For someone who's lived in an area all my life where the economy is already bad, crime is horrible (got robbed in my home just last month) to trade it in for some sunshine doesn't seem like a total gamble. I know where home is for sure. Born and raised here. I'm one of those ppl who need a change of scenery and I think that if you're outgoing and adapt to change well, you can suceed whereever you go. "find your niche" like it was stated earlier, and make sure you're near things that you and your family has interest in. I'm sure it's a huge transition, but worth the change to me...

Old 01-11-2009, 01:20 PM

13 posts, read 19,814 times
Default Relocate to FL? Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I would never discourage someone from wanting to move from that type of climate to a better climate...so biggin freaking deal it gets hot and humid, it gets hot and humid in many places in our country during the summer including the North, only they get slammed with little or no sun, and 6 months of winter.
Thank you Mrs. P.
Though I live in TN, we do have cold and mostly cloudy weather during the winter. We have more ice than snow when my area does have frozen precipitation; otherwise rain. Right now feels like I am living in Seattle.

I am looking forward to relocating to FL. Outdoor activities year around. Yes I am older too, so I do know how you feel about the weather. To all the other posters, activities as well as the weather is what is drawing me to relocate after retirement; being able to go to work and not be wrapped up will be a pleasant change. I'll be too young to actually retire, but not having to scrape ice off my windshield and fight traffic will be great.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:29 PM

611 posts, read 1,457,479 times
I dont know why anyone wouldnt let their kids play outside becuase its "too hot" I grew up in Florida and spent every day outside playing. If the kid grew up here (and not up north) then they dont know any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida