Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 9,775 times

Advertisements

I'm from Canada (so you know how much snow we have) and am looking to retire to Florida (just for the wintersw and come back for our beautiful Canadian summers. I read you comments and am worried that I can't find a nice community that has a home-feel. There has to be communities in Florida where this is the case??? Let me know!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 12:33 PM

5 posts, read 9,775 times
I agree. Studies show that people that live in the northern hemishpere are more likely to be depressed during the winter months

Old 01-24-2009, 01:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina1111 View Post
I'm from Canada (so you know how much snow we have) and am looking to retire to Florida (just for the wintersw and come back for our beautiful Canadian summers. I read you comments and am worried that I can't find a nice community that has a home-feel. There has to be communities in Florida where this is the case??? Let me know!!

Relocating to Florida, or anywhere else for that matter, is part of a package deal... you have to be willing to accept both the positives with the negatives. The nicest parts of the Florida package have to be the beaches and the comfortable winter weather (for most people). Once you get beyond these "nicest parts", the waters become murky. Your tolerance for the negatives (the costs of living, closeness of family, the taxes, the questionable schools, the hurricane potential, the crime, the unemployment & poor job outlook, HOA's, devalued housing ....) all need to be considered on your life's balance. Florida could become a "dream come true", or "your worst nightmare", depending upon your objectivity and willingness to deal with those murky waters.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default That's what they thought my daughter had as a

Quote:
I agree. Studies show that people that live in the northern hemishpere are more likely to be depressed during the winter months
teenager. They even suggested sun lamps. February always was, actually still is, the worst time. However, as she got older it started happening in the summertime too. Maybe not enough sun even in the northern summer. Well, as an adult she checked herself into the hospital (in August). After a whole lot of time and tests, they found her to be BIPOLAR.

She is now fine, but the winter months are still shacky, even now that she is living in FLORIDA.

Sun is no cure for ANYTHING.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Default Every single weekend from November

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
ODL LOL !! traveling to hockey games is not like living in stuff all winter.
Not fooling me either. I know Buffalo winter and I know of Manhatten's winter, two completely different scenarios. I digress we have been told a hundred times how much better NY is than the entire rest of country. Have at it, I hope you get to go home someday soon.

But please really? don't tell anyone from WI MI OH Illinois, parts of NY parts of PA, parts of WV IN, ND SD MT and the like that traveling to a hockey game, is the same as living in the stuff for 6 months...aye carumba
through March. We didn't fly anywhere. We drove. Tournaments were holiday weekends and Christmas break. They weren't local either. She played for a Ct. team one season. Those games were in Ct., Ma., RI. We would drive up there and drive back in the same day; hundreds of miles in many a snowstorm. She went to school in MAINE. We went up there all the time and stayed with my husband's friend and family from the Air Force. However, I suppose none of this putting on thousands of miles in the dead of winter through New England counts.

My husband also has an Air Force buddy who lives in Buffalo, actually Hamburg. He didn't drive a car to work. He snowmobiled to work. Did that for 40 years. Now you would think he would be just DYING to move to Florida. HE experienced everything YOU did, maybe more so since he worked shifts (nights). He told my husband that since he is now in Florida, my husband will have to come to Buffalo to see him. He used to come downstate to see us. My husband offered to pay his plane fare down to Florida. The man REFUSED to come to Florida. He flat out said he has no desire to even visit Florida, let alone retire here. Wouldn't you think all these people living in these places with these severe climates would just KILL for a FREE trip to Florida in the middle of the WINTER? Apparently NOT.

Maybe downstate doesn't get all the snow, but it certainly DOES get very cold. Many, many times the windchills are -5, -10, -15 degrees. The windchill last weekend was -5 degrees when I was there. That alone you think would be enough to send half the population down there. Not happening. My husband and my younger daughter used to come here just about every February for Spring Training games. My older daugher and I stayed home. We didn't care about even "visiting" this state even to get away from the cold of February. Not everybody cares. They are many people who like it where they are, even in the middle of winter; just like my husband's friend from BUFFALO.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:33 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Quote:
Of course there are places for you to live.

Florida is a big state. You need to narrow it down to what your wants/needs are, and your housing budget.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,938 times
Quote:
Florida is located in the Northern hemisphere.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:07 PM

51 posts, read 129,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Florida is located in the Northern hemisphere.
Thanks for clarifying D-R-B!

Originally quoted by Nina1111: Studies show that people that live in the northern hemishpere are more likely to be depressed during the winter months

A more accurate statement would be:
SAD occurs in both the northern and southern hemisphere, but increases with distance from the equator. (Source: BBC Cornwall)

Old 01-29-2009, 03:20 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Relocating to Florida, or anywhere else for that matter, is part of a package deal... you have to be willing to accept both the positives with the negatives. The nicest parts of the Florida package have to be the beaches and the comfortable winter weather (for most people). Once you get beyond these "nicest parts", the waters become murky. Your tolerance for the negatives (the costs of living, closeness of family, the taxes, the questionable schools, the hurricane potential, the crime, the unemployment & poor job outlook, HOA's, devalued housing ....) all need to be considered on your life's balance. Florida could become a "dream come true", or "your worst nightmare", depending upon your objectivity and willingness to deal with those murky waters.
That is a good description about relocating. I am realizing there are more negatives here in Tampa, Florida than there are positives. I think I thought, like many northerners think, that its all sun, fun and the beach! Unfortuantely, the warm weather and beach do not outweigh the negatives here for me. It is hard to really get a feel for a place until you live there. I wish I had found city-data before I made the move!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Default Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
That is a good description about relocating. I am realizing there are more negatives here in Tampa, Florida than there are positives. I think I thought, like many northerners think, that its all sun, fun and the beach! Unfortuantely, the warm weather and beach do not outweigh the negatives here for me. It is hard to really get a feel for a place until you live there. I wish I had found city-data before I made the move!
So many of us keep saying this. Unless your are RETIRED, you will still have to work for a living. That alone is nothing like vacationing for a week or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida