Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 03:54 PM

831 posts, read 2,438,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
So the question is not only when you bought, but as DJ mentioned, where you bought. So if you're going to compare apples-to-apples, then be sure to compare the time when those apples ripened too, and what store you got them from.

What a great post, I loved when those "apples ripened" part. Good Luck with your homes.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:23 PM

214 posts, read 678,711 times
I'll trade places with you.

Quote:
Why not California? What's the draw with Florida? California has pretty much the same year round weather, but dryer. The big part is NO HUMIDITY. What's the draw with humidity in FL? The winter months are even much more beautiful in CA with the Santa Ana winds blowing a nice breeze.
My son lives in Pasadena, works in downtown LA and I'll be out there again in a few days.

Things might be changing now, but to own a home in a decent area around LA, you are going to pay huge bucks. The Pacific is freaking freezing to me.

Winter is the rainy season and those balmy Santa Anna winds can hit 80 mph and blow wildfires toward you. Last year I was in contact with the Pasadena fire dept to follow what was going on out there. The fires stayed away but they were moving in that direction at the time.

Traffic on the 5, the 10 and the 110 is regularly a nightmare so in essence Cali over Fla is just trading one set of "problems" for another. Just as trading Orlando for Chicago or vice versa.

Great BBQ in Koreatown and the fish tacos at Dell Taco are good and cheap though. And there's nothing like a USC game in the Coliseum.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:27 PM

910 posts, read 2,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucat78 View Post
I'll trade places with you.

My son lives in Pasadena, works in downtown LA and I'll be out there again in a few days.

Things might be changing now, but to own a home in a decent area around LA, you are going to pay huge bucks. The Pacific is freaking freezing to me.

Winter is the rainy season and those balmy Santa Anna winds can hit 80 mph and blow wildfires toward you. Last year I was in contact with the Pasadena fire dept to follow what was going on out there. The fires stayed away but they were moving in that direction at the time.

Traffic on the 5, the 10 and the 110 is regularly a nightmare so in essence Cali over Fla is just trading one set of "problems" for another. Just as trading Orlando for Chicago or vice versa.

Great BBQ in Koreatown and the fish tacos at Dell Taco are good and cheap though. And there's nothing like a USC game in the Coliseum.
Are you kidding me? I'll trade places with you in a heartbeat. I wish I could afford to live in Naperville. The closest I got there was Bolingbrook, LOL. I know it may be 18 deg F where you're at right now, but give it a few more short weeks, spring will be in the air!

SoCal is nice. Yes, you're right about trading one set of problems over another, but I was able to deal with all the Cali problems, except the occasional earthquake, but heck, it's either gonna crack off and fall in the ocean in CA's case, or the ocean will just cover it up in FL's case, right?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:53 AM

214 posts, read 678,711 times
Quote:
it's either gonna crack off and fall in the ocean in CA's case, or the ocean will just cover it up in FL's case, right?
Good point.

A few more years and Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Illinois will be in a shooting war over Lake Michigan water.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:57 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
You are my hero - what part of Florida did you live in - I desparately want tomove and get such discouraging new about going there all the time.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Tell me why you think that people who won't move out of New York are "afraid"? I have heard that many times before. Did you ever consider that just because you don't like it and want to move out, it doesn't mean that EVERYBODY wants to leave. What in the world makes you think that? They would get out if they could? Why? Isn't it just possible they actually LIKE their lives and the place they live?????

I am a New Yorker born and raised in Manhattan (West Vllage and Chelsea). We lived in Queens (Middle Village) for 10 years and Long Island (Smithtown) for 20 years.

I would rather live in a house built in 1905 in Queens, or the apartment building built in 1890 in Manhattan where I grew up, than this 2001 tiny cookie cutter house I am now in in Florida where I can literally "reach out and touch" my neighbors.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Tell me why you think that people who won't move out of New York are "afraid"? I have heard that many times before. Did you ever consider that just because you don't like it and want to move out, it doesn't mean that EVERYBODY wants to leave. What in the world makes you think that? They would get out if they could? Why? Isn't it just possible they actually LIKE their lives and the place they live?????

I am a New Yorker born and raised in Manhattan (West Vllage and Chelsea). We lived in Queens (Middle Village) for 10 years and Long Island (Smithtown) for 20 years.

I would rather live in a house built in 1905 in Queens, or the apartment building built in 1890 in Manhattan where I grew up, than this 2001 tiny cookie cutter house I am now in in Florida where I can literally "reach out and touch" my neighbors.
Are you seriously trying to claim Florida is more crowded than Manhattan?? You have got to be kidding me! Our duaghter lives there with 3 other people in an apartment the size of my living room!!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Houses in gated communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Are you seriously trying to claim Florida is more crowded than Manhattan?? You have got to be kidding me! Our duaghter lives there with 3 other people in an apartment the size of my living room!!
are built one right next to another in order to squeeze as many in as possible. No, the single family houses aren't, but at least here in Naples there are more gated communities than anything else. My former neighbor and I used to sit in our respective lanais and hold conversations (without shouting!) all the time. We never had to leave our own property to talk to each other. Can you picture in your mind how close our properties are?

The houses even in Queens are built farther apart than that. The vast majority of houses in Suffolk are zoned half acreas. We all had many parties outside and hardly knew there even was one outside. We certainly couldn't join in their conversations.

Manhattan? I grew up in Manhattan. When I was little, the apartment we lived in was a brownstone in the West Village. It was the entire floor with 3 bedrooms. Even though the kitchen was definitely big enough to be an eat in, it also had a separte dining room. We used that as a storage area.

When we lived in Chelsea, we had a 2 bedroom. Again, that wasn't a closet either. Again, big eat in kitchen. The living room was big enough for me to have my sweet 16 party in there with 12 kids. What probably happened over the years, was that these buildings were rennovated into much smaller apartments in order to get more rents.

When I moved out of my parents apartment, I got my own studio apartment. No roommates. Again, back in those days with rent control/stabilization a secretary would afford to live alone and pay the rent.

Besides, you don't have to live in Manhattan if you work there. I used to take the subway from Queens (owned house) into Manhattan when I worked there. It was a 20 minute ride. It takes me about 15 minutes to drive to my job in Naples. My daughter lives in Astoria and is renting (alone) a 1 bedroom for $750 a month. That is not an outrageous amount of money today. She is close enough to walk to the train station. It's a very nice area where she lives.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 AM

96 posts, read 284,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
What do I take for that? I am getting to the point where all I want to do is stay inside because the sun is never in, except at night. I feel like that old Twilight Zone exposide where the hot burning sun never went in and people all went crazy.

If I could, I would only go outside at night. Unfortunately, I have a day job and need to work in daylight hours.
I lived in Florida 3 years and the same thing happened to me..."Sunshine Burnout." I found myself staying inside more than I was going out for the same reason.

I like cloudy days and there weren't enough of them for me.

I guess that's why people always talk about the weather.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:46 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCali View Post
I lived in Florida 3 years and the same thing happened to me..."Sunshine Burnout." I found myself staying inside more than I was going out for the same reason.

I like cloudy days and there weren't enough of them for me.

I guess that's why people always talk about the weather.
May I recommend NE Ohio then? They see the sun oh maybe a good 14 times a year.

I guess it has to do with where one lived. It's sunny all the time pretty much except this year, in SC. And when I hear people talking about how they want to go up to the mountains all the time, I shiver and think WHAT???

No thanks I have had 52 years of cloudy overcast days, and relish living in sunshine as I have the past 5 years. Wouldn't even consider moving back to that depressing weather...ever. If I have to remain in SC I'll live, but would prefer Florida, because I've been too cold in NC and SC in the winter.

For me sun is where it's at, because of the climate I lived in for over 50 years.
What's that old adage? One always wants what they don't have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida