Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 06:43 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
It seems every post I read of yours is just flat out wrong.

For some people I could say maybe some or most of their post are wrong but I can't remember one of yours lately that has any truth to it.

I designed my own home so there is no way that it is cookie cutter.I drive through my neighborhood and do not see any 2 homes that are the same.

We take the golf cart down the street about 1200 ft to go riding through thousands of acre of preserve land. My subdivision is 1.8 acre lots with many homes comprising 2 or more lots. Hardly crowded at all.

Yeah, there are custom builds out there, if you can afford them (real estate clearly was kind to you over the last ten years). There are also some remnants of an earlier Florida, if you don't mind doing some work on your new purchase.

OTOH, if you think there's no truth whatsoever to the comment about crowded cookie-cutter neighborhoods, you clearly avoid Pasco and northwest Hillsborough like the plague. The Wesley Chapel to Land O Lakes to New Port Richey stretch is full of nearl;y-identical tract houses on treeless .17 acre lots (too many of which are now standing empty, but that's another post). Which is fine to a point-- some people like anonymity, predictability, and sameness. That's why chain restaurants and big box stores flourish here, too. But only to a point. Florida has a weird charm that's been greatly diminished in the areas where the McNeighborhoods flourish.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Because they can't afford it. Really only a small majority on Long Island are moving out because they don't like it anymore. Many LIers write on the LI forum saying how they wish they could have stayed on LI if they could afford it.
Depends on where on LI. Are you talking Manhasset, or Mastic-Shirley? Because, frankly...if I were in Mastic-Shirley, I'd be clawing my way south, and I'm really pretty ambivalent about Florida.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Hmmm, I took a package in mid-January, the other option was an out-of-state transfer. I began a new job a week ago--making 10% more with better benefits.

Don't tell me there are no jobs. I had another offer on the table as well, but it required commuting to downtown. If you've got marketable skills, there are plenty of jobs out there. Right now I know of an HR position, an I/T position, and an office manager position that are open, they are not being advertised through the regular channels, and will be filled by employee referrals or word of mouth.
It depends on your field.
And congratulations on your package and job change. It's not by any means the norm. If you're in IT, banking, or an architect-- or any of a number of other professional fields-- here in Florida, you don't often have the option of a nice severance set-up and a pay raise.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:15 AM

15 posts, read 72,642 times
I think people talk about jobs way too much on here. Some people act like their life revolves around a job. I have a PHD from the best school in the country, the University of Florida, and I would never do any job that requires me to wake up early in the morning and strap on a suit and tie. If you like to fight traffic jams, strap on a suit and have to get ready early in the morning every day, let some guy boss you around, peel snow off your windows and slide all over the road, then by all means Chicago, New York, Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis are great places for you.

If you like laid back people, most jobs that don't require you to strap on a suit and tie, great weather, beaches, flexible working hours, jobs that do not have crazy accountability for workloads placed on their employees, etc. then by all means come down to Florida. Most of those people up there lost their 401ks and retirements anyway. So what good did that do them? I could have went on a nice cruise with that money.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 AM

64 posts, read 125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
we are the 2nd highest unemployment rate in the nation right now behind South Carolina...but when you have THOUSANDS that do what you do, and company's have hundred's of resumes for the same position it makes it a bit difficult to compete
Last week Dh was putting out resumes left and right so we could move. I noticed on one of the online job services that it shows you how many people applied for each SINGLE job. It was scary. I think that is when I started rethinking our immediate move. There were other jobs that required degrees and training, like nursing jobs, that had very little activity, but jobs like working in retail, sales jobs, maintenance jobs, all had hundreds and hundreds of applicants...for that ONE job.

I saw lots and lots of Occupational/physical therapy jobs. Lots of RN jobs, even massage therapy jobs. But nothing for the basically unskilled, which is really what DH is even if he has been working at his job for 17 years.

It really isn't much different up here in MA. DH has a job, but it is not totally secure. They are layoff rumors, rumors of stores closing and if that happens, then people with seniority will bump out the guys with lower. We have been there before and when he got laid off, we were screwed, really, but he found something making much less for a while until he was called back to his job. That was 5 years ago. If it happened NOW...he would have just as hard of a time as he would down in Florida. So our best bet is for me to finish my degree, not a guarantee but at least it is something in our favor.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Let's please not compare the 85 year old house to the one built 5 years ago with an in ground pool in the back yard and 2 1/2 baths - lets not do this guys - listen - both of you are right and both of you are wrong.

Facts are facts - Are the houses nicer in Florida - YES - does that come with a price yes!

Can you make a house in NY look as nice as the ones in florida? Of course, but it takes a lot of money to do that, so the house in Florida that costs 285 doesn't have to be touched the one in Levittown is only 250, but has to be completely remodeled.

this is just so rediculous! You can have everythin you have in Florida on LI, but it will cost you more and please lets stop with the LI is cheaper bit, it really isn't!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Yeah, there are custom builds out there, if you can afford them (real estate clearly was kind to you over the last ten years). There are also some remnants of an earlier Florida, if you don't mind doing some work on your new purchase.

OTOH, if you think there's no truth whatsoever to the comment about crowded cookie-cutter neighborhoods, you clearly avoid Pasco and northwest Hillsborough like the plague. The Wesley Chapel to Land O Lakes to New Port Richey stretch is full of nearl;y-identical tract houses on treeless .17 acre lots (too many of which are now standing empty, but that's another post). Which is fine to a point-- some people like anonymity, predictability, and sameness. That's why chain restaurants and big box stores flourish here, too. But only to a point. Florida has a weird charm that's been greatly diminished in the areas where the McNeighborhoods flourish.

You need to read the whole post rather than pick and choose what you want.

When someone states "ALL" homes in Florida are cookie cutter they are just flat out wrong.

As far as inferring it takes alot of money to build custom, as evidenced by your statement "real estate clearly was kind to you over the last ten years", you are wrong again (About thinking it takes alot of money to build custom).

I built my house for about $50 - $55 a living square foot. It is called shopping around for the best deal with a great builder.

Nowhere did I say there were no cookie cutter neighborhoods. There are but there are also neighborhoods that feature uniquely different homes so you have your choice.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 AM

Mad, you are abviously an anomoly and your kids too. Every kid I know loves the finger tips falling off cold. Your kids should get tougher and brave that weather and get out there and play! Can we get a break on this - LOL.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 AM

And that the people who live there must be completely stupid and in need of mental help if they still choose to go even after they have told them every awful thing about the place. I would take their opinion more seriously if, they were able to admit that the things that are nice about Florida are just that nice. Maybe not their cup of tea, but still nice. Honestly, who complains about 60 degrees in December. That person should not be living in NY, they really should be living in Michigan where winter starts in September and doesn't end til almost May.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
And that the people who live there must be completely stupid and in need of mental help if they still choose to go even after they have told them every awful thing about the place. I would take their opinion more seriously if, they were able to admit that the things that are nice about Florida are just that nice. Maybe not their cup of tea, but still nice. Honestly, who complains about 60 degrees in December. That person should not be living in NY, they really should be living in Michigan where winter starts in September and doesn't end til almost May.
Chelsa I agree...it happened with us here I cant say anything bad because there really isnt, other than the high Crime, and Home Break Ins, but honestly if it is ones cup of tea then great, for us its just Not a fit, and time to move on considering this all started with someone contacting dh about a job opportunity that he was interviewing for, and then the company cancelled the position...so we decided well, lets continue to look as we made the decision we want to make the move to florida and hopefully we will get there when the time is right....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida