Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

Yeah, people (mostly from foreign countries) go to NY because they can live 36 in a 2 bedroom and not have their landlord harass them because all he (the landlord) cares about is getting the 2K a month. - That is just one side of NYC.

While I'm not a huge fan of the cold, I am a big fan of NYC, but not for MY KIDS. I think that neigborhood is nothing if you don't have kids that are able to ride a bicycle up and down the street. There are parts of Queens that you can still do this in, but they are so damn far from the city, you can live in Jersey and get to work faster than in Bayside Queens (one of my choices). Really it is all a matter of preference. No one place is all things to all people and there is nothing wrong with being a fan of many places, but loving one and making that your home. You don't have to hate the place your at to like another better.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 PM

Yes, but don't forget, you get that 100k job and have to pay a price for it. Much higher rents, NO AMENITIES - say goodbye to the pool, the gym, the washer/dryer, wic, microwave and dishwasher. You will pay a whole lot more for less here.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:12 PM

If you guys think Florida is expensive - you will go into sticker shock in NYC.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
In a way, I agree with Cuba Libre. I am originally from Florida, lived there until I got married and had my daughter and once we had her we moved up north here because we had a hard time finding anything other than lower paying jobs. Now, that being said, and keeping me in mind. I wasn't the only person that went north looking for work. So, all of us folks from Fl, SC, NC, GA, etc now are all looking to come back "home". At this stage in life, the kids are grown, the jobs that were once abundant here are now even further away and at this point, if something good came up down there, then we'd move back. I do agree though that depending on the area (just like in FL) jobs are better paying, school tend to be more demanding (better students), and etc etc...
If I could move back down now, I probably would but like I said, not without a job comparable to what I have now and not if my kids would have still been in school. Cuba Libre is right in the regard that you make sacrifices to live in a nice, warm, sunny area. I made sacrifices to find work and support my family which did work out to my benefit but I'm more than ready to come back LOL

Old 03-16-2009, 01:26 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
In a way, I agree with Cuba Libre. I am originally from Florida, lived there until I got married and had my daughter and once we had her we moved up north here because we had a hard time finding anything other than lower paying jobs. Now, that being said, and keeping me in mind. I wasn't the only person that went north looking for work. So, all of us folks from Fl, SC, NC, GA, etc now are all looking to come back "home". At this stage in life, the kids are grown, the jobs that were once abundant here are now even further away and at this point, if something good came up down there, then we'd move back. I do agree though that depending on the area (just like in FL) jobs are better paying, school tend to be more demanding (better students), and etc etc...
If I could move back down now, I probably would but like I said, not without a job comparable to what I have now and not if my kids would have still been in school. Cuba Libre is right in the regard that you make sacrifices to live in a nice, warm, sunny area. I made sacrifices to find work and support my family which did work out to my benefit but I'm more than ready to come back LOL
Thank you for your insight. Most of my Florida experiences come from Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties; the probably two most extreme examples of "trade off culture" in Florida. Cost of living, education value, and levels of service are starkly opposite of what they would have been for me had I decided to get my education and pursue a career in the Midwest, my home.

Many hard working people I know in Miami couldn't get a job because they could not speak English. There are 10 immigrants for every white American in Miami. I knew few employers in Miami, but I knew many in the Keys. Many employers in the Keys had a hard time finding qualified, drug-free labor. For the last 10 years, resort owners all throughout the Keys have been hiring Polish and Eastern European labor to meet the demand during tourist season down there. These work-visa laborers don't use drugs, they stay out of trouble with the law, and they don't complain about pay.

White Americans get screwed in South Florida no matter where they go - Miami-Keys, etc, and much of it is their fault. They come from the North and try to live on permanent vacation, drinking and using drugs. Meanwhile, 3rd world immigrants pour into South Florida with a better work ethic, they save their money, and with their refusal to learn English, they make most workplaces a 'hostile' environment far any honest, sober white laborers left in the area.

That's my speel.

Last edited by cuba libre; 03-16-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
In similar situation but probably a generation gap, actually did move back down w/o that job through some other circumstances, let me tell you, it is not working out and I will be moving back north ASAP. 5 months now and I STILL don't have ajob. Sorry but I work way too hard and played by the rules way too long to live paycheck to paycheck down here in Florida when I could virtually play around and live much better up north. Sorry it just isn't working. I think once you move out, going to be hard to come back in.... where as, going back north, shouldn't be much of a problem especially soon as the economy evens out. There are WAY too many people here for the few good paying jobs, unless you know someone, or sit here and struggle for quite awhile, or happen to get a transfer from your company, I doubt for most people you are going to get them. There are also way too many people who don't know what Florida is about who just want to move here, so you have to compete with that talent also.
First starting off I kind of wondered if it was me or what, but always thought I was better worker than many above me here in Florida, moving north, actually GOT those jobs where I should have been all alone and had absolutely no problems doing it and better than my peers. Much of the southeast outside of maybe MIA and Atlanta seem to still be on the good ol boy network.

Don't get me wrong, you can make it in Florida if you really want to, but it is kind of like gasping for air. The same effort you probably put in down here and wondered why you were struggling, you will thrive elsewhere.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Most of my Florida experiences come from Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties
Then you should state that in your posts instead of making broad statements about "all Florida".

Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
been reading some of the threads in the General US forum about" are people in the north jealous of Floridians" or something similiar and was wondering are Floridians jealous of people who live in the North?

NO ..... why would they be

Old 03-16-2009, 01:58 PM

Where up North. I mean I could be wrong, but leaving Florida for a 100K job in NYC isn't going to get you the best lifestyle. Perhaps I'm longing for the amenities that you guys may take for granted. I would love to have a pool in my community, a gym, dishwasher, wic, washer/dryer, extra bathroom all a part of my rent! If you want all of this in NY, you will need to make a lot more money! Can you make more money here, yes! Can you live nicely on that money, yes, but if I were coming from a place that had all the amenities I just listed as a given, I would find NYC apartments horrible, IMHO.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Where up North. I mean I could be wrong, but leaving Florida for a 100K job in NYC isn't going to get you the best lifestyle. Perhaps I'm longing for the amenities that you guys may take for granted. I would love to have a pool in my community, a gym, dishwasher, wic, washer/dryer, extra bathroom all a part of my rent! If you want all of this in NY, you will need to make a lot more money! Can you make more money here, yes! Can you live nicely on that money, yes, but if I were coming from a place that had all the amenities I just listed as a given, I would find NYC apartments horrible, IMHO.
I lived pretty damn well in Chicago on 50-60K a year, not rich, but pretty damn comfortable, single, no family, no debt to pay and no car payments/insurance. Had a 2 1/2 bedroom in Uke village for 900 a month and a nice condo in the south loop/loop border for 1100 a month 1 bedroom. Maybe your problem is just NYC and you need to try a different big city that everybody in the WORLD doesn't want to live in. Chicago is just a midwest mecca. Add a roommate or an SO to that equation and even easier, for instance when I very first moved there I paid 400 a month for a 3 bedroom nice place with professional working roommates for 1200. Trust me I've thought about moving to NYC, but like you say, you need a LOT more money there to live comfortably. I would probably want a job paying 200K+ to move there. Otherwise I think you can find very "similar" quality of life elsewhere. Most people don't "need" to be in NYC but I have plenty of people I know that just "HAVE" to live there in a closet space for 1500 a month. Honestly that might be cool at first but gets old after about 6 months or you have a gf that wants to move in, or have people over, etc. You could honestly probably be happy there and fly to NYC often and stay with friends or family and still have more money in your pocket.

Last edited by grapico; 03-16-2009 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida